Titans used Bills defense as blueprint to stop Ravens

YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Obviously. They just executed a bit better and didn’t have that huge blown play for a TD. 

The Titans had their own blown plays for a TD.   

A big difference for the Titans was Derrick Henry and the ability to just grind the ball down the Ravens throats.  The other difference was that when the Ravens tried to pull that Blitz 0 stuff, Tannehill promptly burned them deep.  

Now there are other strategies, which the Bills didn’t employ.  But being able to burn them deep was a big big help.

Can you imagine the meltdown, though, if Allen passed for less than 100 yds in 2 successive playoff games?

• Like (+1) 16
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Maybe This will cause SM to realize that scoring point in every quarter is a good thing, and going prevent on D with  two quarters left in the game doesn’t work against better teams, what do you all think? Think he will change his spots?

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 4

That’s exactly what my friend and I  were talking about as we watched the game last night. 
That is exactly how you beat Lamar. Make him play QB. There is the blueprint on stoping him. Now it’s going to be up to Lamar to evolve his game and be able to throw to the outside. And also throw better balls in general. Some of his throws looked like punts. I am skeptical he can do it, or why wouldn’t he of by now? 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

A big difference for the Titans was Derrick Henry and the ability to just grind the ball down the Ravens throats.  The other difference was that when the Ravens tried to pull that Blitz 0 stuff, Tannehill promptly burned them deep.  

Now there are other strategies, which the Bills didn’t employ.  But being able to burn them deep was a big big help.

Can you imagine the meltdown, though, if Allen passed for less than 100 yds in 2 successive playoff games?

I agree they executed on offense better. I almost wrote it but deleted it because this thread was about defense. 

The titans had blown plays on defense yes but in garbage time. Different defense in garbage time. 

8 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I agree they executed on offense better. I almost wrote it but deleted it because this thread was about defense. 
The titans had blown plays on defense yes but in garbage time. Different defense in garbage time. 

Are you saying a team with a 16 point lead is playing garbage time?  ?

A point is that part of what helped the Titans on Defense was their offenses’ ability to rack up a lead.

And part of what helped the Titans on Offense was their defense’s ability to get turnovers.  Yes, the Titans gave up some big blown plays when the Ravens still had a chance to win the game.  But the Titans D also got turnovers, and then the O got points off of them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I find it cool that the team that ousted the #1 seed used McDermott's defensive strategy to win. 

I'm looking forward to Beane fixing the offense but I'm equally excited to see what toys Coach will get for our defense.

Titans are dancing right now but it's a good time to be a Bills fan... 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Not just less than 100 yards; he’s a combined 15/29 for 150ish yards in the playoffs.

Can’t win in the playoffs throwing for less than 100 YPG and having a completion percentage of 50. ?

I was on a podcast before this game and said this exact statement , that Tenn has a similar defense and Buf laid the blueprint , predicted Lamar would be super ineffective.

Wasn't hard to see.  He's a 1 read QB that uses play action as a crutch , is terrible at going through progressions and reading a defense , ppl just get enamored with the jukes and stuff but that's not sustainable for any QB.

Whether through injury or great defense , a QB will never be able to win a SB relying on his legs for the majority of his success. Even his pass numbers are all a result of the run game

• Like (+1) 1

It was crazy how easy the Titans made it seem. Lamar had little pressure all night as Titans focused on the run, played zone, defended the tight ends and gave up outside throws. Ravens still had yards but no rhythm. If you give time like this to another QB you'll get burned.

Ravens O beat themselves too, throwing so much and having play selections more like a "normal offense" instead of their usual run heavy packages. In a weird way, Lamar has shown he is for real. In that he was "forced to play QB" and was very average.... yet with always the threat of a big play. He might not have MVP type seasons from now on but he can play in t he NFL, not be a one year wonder like other running QBs.

It made me real comfortable about Josh and what the Bills can do in the coming years with a few key players added.

18 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yeah this board would definitely melt down if Allen beat the Pats and the Ravens in the playoffs. Just not in the way you’re implying.

1 minute ago, Mango said:

That Tennessee defense has been pretty good all year and the offense has been quickly dangerous. 

Buffalo won 14-7, but even under Mariota TEN had 4 missed field goals and 2 TD’s called back. 

No doubt... we stole that game.  The Titans have put together a very good ball team... Mariota had been holding them back much more than I realized.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Whatever, but old school beat new wave this game. 88 yard passing, wow. Ground and pound lives! And that was a tough Ravens D that got steamrolled. 

The Ravens defense was a mirage against the run. Faced the least attempts in the NFL but was 21st in YPA allowed.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Henry was huge, but to me the biggest difference is the Tennessee WRs made the plays and the Bills WRs didn’t.  That TD catch was amazing and was significantly more difficult that the Duke Williams or the Brown catches both of which would have given the Bills big scores at a crucial time to put the game away.

The catches by the WRs early - allowed the Henry runs at the end.  If Brown pulls in that toe tapper and the Bills score a TD there - they get up 14-0 and if other things play out they are up 20-0.  

If Duke catches that ball - especially being held, but we see it many weeks, the Bills win the game.

Josh made some mistakes, but much like last year - the catch radius and the playmaking by the Bills WRs is sorely lacking.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1