3 playoff QBs have taken helmet to helmet hits

Josh, Wentz and Jackson tonight have taken helmet to helmet hits in playoff games all without any penalty being called. Of all 3 , Josh's was the most possibly excusable as it was in the play (but was still leading with the helmet by the defender). For Wentz and Jackson tonight, both were classic dirty spearing hits. Wentz got knocked out of the game and any chance the Eagles had evaporated. Were the refs ok with Lamar receiving the same fate tonight? When the MVP of the league cant even get an obvious call in a game and when the league decides to not fine Clowney for his hit (and most likely the Titans defender after tonight) what is to stop teams from using that strategy every time they go up against a superior opponent? Just hit the QB late or dirty and decapitate the entire offensive game plan.  The NFL officials are now starting to resemble the refs in professional wrestling and instead of rectifying matters at the league office, they double down on the stupid and give Cody Ford a fine?? 

Edited by Livinginthepast
  • Like (+1) 5

8 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

Josh, Wentz and Jackson tonight have taken helmet to helmet hits in playoff games all without any penalty being called. Of all 3 , Josh's was the most possibly excusable as it was in the play (but was still leading with the helmet by the defender). For Wentz and Jackson tonight, both were classic dirty spearing hits. Wentz got knocked out of the game and any chance the Eagles had evaporated. Were the refs ok with Lamar receiving the same fate tonight? When the MVP of the league cant even get an obvious call in a game and when the league decides to not fine Clowney for his hit (and most likely the Titans defender after tonight) what is stop teams from using that strategy every time they go up against a superior opponent? Just hit the QB late or dirty and decapitate the entire offensive game plan.  The NFL officials are now starting to resemble the refs in professional wrestling and instead of rectifying matters at the league office, they double down on the stupid and give Cody Ford a fine?? 

I agree.  It should be fairly easy to tell the difference between a helmet to helmet hit and not.  I didn’t play football, but, did play hockey.  Shouldn’t you be able to hear a different sound with helmet to helmet or is it tough in the field with all the noise on going on?

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Manther said:

I agree.  It should be fairly easy to tell the difference between a helmet to helmet hit and not.  I didn’t play football, but, did play hockey.  Shouldn’t you be able to hear a different sound with helmet to helmet or is it tough in the field with all the noise on going on?

In fairness shoulder to shoulder hits pop just as loud at times.

16 minutes ago, PolishPrince said:

In fairness shoulder to shoulder hits pop just as loud at times.

There's a very clear distinction between the thud of pads and the crack of helmets. In all three of the cases mentioned by the OP, it was obvious by sight as well.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

Josh, Wentz and Jackson tonight have taken helmet to helmet hits in playoff games all without any penalty being called. Of all 3 , Josh's was the most possibly excusable as it was in the play (but was still leading with the helmet by the defender). For Wentz and Jackson tonight, both were classic dirty spearing hits. Wentz got knocked out of the game and any chance the Eagles had evaporated. Were the refs ok with Lamar receiving the same fate tonight? When the MVP of the league cant even get an obvious call in a game and when the league decides to not fine Clowney for his hit (and most likely the Titans defender after tonight) what is to stop teams from using that strategy every time they go up against a superior opponent? Just hit the QB late or dirty and decapitate the entire offensive game plan.  The NFL officials are now starting to resemble the refs in professional wrestling and instead of rectifying matters at the league office, they double down on the stupid and give Cody Ford a fine?? 

gives you something to whine and complain about, so you are happy

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ILBillsfan said:

The NFL ref's definitely could learn something from the college ref's as all three plays would of been flags in the NCAA for lowering the head

Where is @Roger Goodell when you need him?  The league is quadrupling down on this nonsense of backing the refs (PI call reversals, fine Cody Ford) irregardless of how egregious the error.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Boy said:

I don’t like Wentz and have no affinity for the Eagles but that hit by Clowney was as text book egregiously foul as they come. 
   I watched that in real time and absolutely couldn’t wrap my head around that not being called.

I agree. I’m a fan of the refs letting players play, but I was shocked that wasn’t called.

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Boy said:

I don’t like Wentz and have no affinity for the Eagles but that hit by Clowney was as text book egregiously foul as they come. 
   I watched that in real time and absolutely couldn’t wrap my head around that not being called.

I feel exactly the same way you do.  I can't pull for the Eagles, no way, no how.

But that shot Clowney put on Wentz was textbook targeting.  If someone wants to defend the refs not calling it, okay... we can agree to disagree.  But the league choosing not to fine him?!? 

The refs sitting on their flags in the playoffs isn't any better than deciding games with crap calls during the season.  The league office is doubling down to save face with these reviews.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, row_33 said:

gives you something to whine and complain about, so you are happy

Spoken like anything but a Bills Fan. 

5 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Still salty that your beloved Pats****** got knocked off?

Wouldn’t it be great if the mods assigned little asterisks besides all the posters who weren’t actual Bills fans? This guy is anti Bills for sure.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

12 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

Watson also took one from Poyer on his first two point conversion attempt. It wasn’t deliberate, but it was head to head.

Edited by dave mcbride