Current NFL Coaching Tree - Belicheck and Reid

JGMcD2

16 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

A friend of mine is a big Browns fan... we’ve been going back and forth basically since we hired McDermott about what team was doing things the right way... the Browns or the Bills. Well that’s pretty obvious now... but our football conversations have become much deeper. He REALLY wants McDaniels and I believe McDaniels isn’t a great candidate. I’m a big believer in career paths and trends... so I did some research to prove him wrong. I thought it would be interesting to share with a wider audience since I spent a little bit of time in it lol! 

The content is the “coaching tree” of both Belicheck and Reid (only reflects coordinators under them that went on to be HC). I picked these two because there are 8 coordinators under Belicheck and Reid that are currently NFL head coaches. If you include Reid and Belicheck their “trees” (as defined in this case) make up 32% of all NFL head coaches. 

BILL BELICHECK

These are the 6 coordinators under Bill Belicheck to become head coaches (excluding Joe Judge who has yet to coach and NFL game) Romero Crennel, Josh McDaniels, Eric Mangini, Bill O’Brien, Matt Patricia, Brian Flores. 

Their combined record is 138-196-1. That is good for a .412 winning%.

The only coach with a winning record is Bill O’Brien.

Those coaches combined to coach 22 total seasons as a head coach. 

Over those 22 total seasons those coaches average roughly 6 wins and 9 losses. 

Those coaches made the playoffs 5 times in 22 seasons which is 23% of the time. 

Mangini (1) and O’Brien (4) are the only coaches to make playoff appearances. 

No coach has a winning record in the playoffs.

ANDY REID

These are the 5 coordinators under Andy Reid to become head coaches. 

Brad Childress, John Harbaugh, Doug Pederson, Sean McDermott, Matt Nagy. 

Their combined record is 240-170. That is good for a .585 winning%.

No coach has a losing record in their career as a head coach. 

Those coaches have combined for 26 seasons as head coaches. 

Over those 26 seasons they average 9 wins and 6.6 losses. Only Brad Childress has more than 1 losing season in his career as a head coach. 

Those coaches made the playoffs 16 times in 26 seasons that’s good for 62%.

Each coach has made the playoffs at least 1 time. Harbaugh (8), Pederson (3), Childress (2), McDermott (2), Nagy (1).

They’re a combined 15-13 in the playoffs with 2 Super Bowl Champions (Harbaugh and Pederson).

Matt Nagy won AP Coach of the Year in 2018. 

I actually think Flores is going be an amazing coach!  O’Brien is good and let’s see how Judge does..  one has 5 from just as long a career as the other.. one wins and rarely chokes in the playoffs the other has a running hole of him choking..

26 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

I actually think Flores is going be an amazing coach!  O’Brien is good and let’s see how Judge does..  one has 5 from just as long a career as the other.. one wins and rarely chokes in the playoffs the other has a running hole of him choking..

Belicheck is the greatest of all time. No question about it... but I believe he is really good at finding guys that fit his system. That’s players, coaches, water boys, etc. Whereas Reid is good at identifying talent, not just talent that specifically fits what he wants to do. That is the difference. 

I think Flores is a good coach. O’Brien is in way over his head IMO. The video of him going after a fan was disturbing... he’s just never really impressed me. I actually think Judge will be a good hire... the buzz on him is somewhat different than past coaches from the Belicheck tree. 

Overall the results have been extremely underwhelming for Belicheck. I actually like Matt Patricia a lot - I have close ties to him and from stories I’ve heard he’s an incredible coach but it doesn’t seem like he’s a head coach. 

Point being on all of this... I wouldn’t make a decision based on these trees but I’d take it into consideration... it tells a story. 

Edited by JGMcD2