Divisional Round: Titans at Ravens

egd

59 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Lamar went wrong

Hard to overcome 2 INT and a fumble.

In addition to that, Lamar had plenty of help.  The whole team was off.  Off-target passes that Jackson’s TE or WR normally tuck away got dropped or deflected up for grabs.  Runs that normally break got stuffed.  Lamar was uncomfortable in the pocket and threw ducks.

Josh Allen MUST work on his deep throws.  I LOL at the Ravens.  Pretty sure that was Blitz 0 they tried on Tannehill.  Said “I dare you to throw it deep, Mr 77 yds passing offense”.  Tannehill cocked back let one rip and said “Fine By Me”

I need to take apart the all-22 to see: can anyone who is better than I tell me how many of the Bills concepts the Titans used on Defense?

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Hard to overcome 2 INT and a fumble.

In addition to that, Lamar had plenty of help.

Josh Allen MUST work on his deep throws.  I LOL at the Ravens.  Pretty sure that was Blitz 0 they tried on Tannehill.  Said “I dare you to throw it deep, Mr 77 yds passing offense”

Tannehill cocked back and said “Fine By Me”

12 players on the Pro Bowl team. Yeah, he had plenty of help.

12 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

He didn’t, but he also played like *****. 

You may be right.  I really dislike the Ravens.  Right behind the Cheaters and the Iggles.  As someone posted earlier, Jackson had a great season but it will be hard to replicate.  Other teams are catching up to his game.

1 hour ago, Binghamton Beast said:

I just read that the Ravens had the ball inside if the Titans 40 on 8 different drives and Jackson accounted for over 500 yards of offense.

Something clearly went wrong.

Yeah, 3.5 quarters of garbage time compiling. As soon as the titans got up by 2 scores and made the Ravens ditch their gimmick offense, it was over. The titans let them move it knowing they couldn’t  score touchdowns. If anyone watched that game and was impressed by Jackson’s game then idk what to tell you. This thing with Lamar probably has another 6-8 games before he’s RG3’d.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Fair enough. I’m not sure LJ’s problem is arm strength either.

Those ducks last night were uncharacteristic to my eye, although I haven’t watched every game he’s played.

I'm not a Jackson hater. He is an exceptional athlete and a good QB. With that said, those ducks were not uncharacteristic. He threw some beautiful passes this year; however, he threw more than his share of those kind as well. His passing game just never received the scrutiny this year because of his TD production. A lot of his completions were to receivers that were open because of what they schemed with his legs and the team running game. It is a staple of a Greg Roman offense. More importantly, however, Jackson made the most of those chances with a TD% of 9 and threw for 36 TDs. So, when he was completing 14 of 23 passes for 105 yards, or 9 of 20 for 143 yards, or 16 of 25 for 145 yards, nobody said a word because he was still producing TDs with his arm and yards and TDs with his legs.

I've talked about his 9% TD percentage before. That is a phenominal TD%. Since 1970, there have been only 2 QBs, who played at least 14 games in the season, to finish with a TD% of 9+. His TD% last year was 3.4%. If he had the same TD% this year as he did last year, he would have thrown 22 less TDs. Alex Smith, Colin Kaepernick, and Tyrod Taylor all had their best year (TD%) under Roman. The problem is that none of them could duplicate it. A really good year is a TD% of 6 - 7. No modern day QB has a career TD% over 6 (Russell Wilson is the leader there). If Jackson had a TD% of 7 this year, his passing TDs would have dropped from 36 to 28 - and a TD% of 6 this year, his passing TDs would have dropped from 36 to 24.

The problem for Jackson moving forward is what helped him this year: He is in a Greg Roman offense. Defenses will figure out how to force his mobile QB to win with his arm. However, Roman's strength is not the passing game when he has to rely on it (the same can be said of Jackson). His passing games are effective when the running game dominates. His teams are always at the bottom of the league in pass attempts. In 7 years as an OC, his teams were 31st or 32nd in pass attempts in 6 of those years (29th in the other). To maintain the kind of TD production Jackson had this year, he would have to duplicate a TD% range that only a couple of QBs ever attained, and that no one ever duplicated. He might be the exception; however, my guess is that next year, his TD% will be between 5 - 6. That would be a good year. However, with a TD% in that range, in Roman's offense, rather than 36 passing TDs, he is throwing for 20-25 TDs.

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I'm not a Jackson hater. He is an exceptional athlete and a good QB. With that said, those ducks were not uncharacteristic. He threw some beautiful passes this year; however, he threw more than his share of those kind as well. His passing game just never received the scrutiny this year because of his TD production. A lot of his completions were to receivers that were open because of what they schemed with his legs and the team running game. It is a staple of a Greg Roman offense. More importantly, however, Jackson made the most of those chances with a TD% of 9 and threw for 36 TDs. So, when he was completing 14 of 23 passes for 105 yards, or 9 of 20 for 143 yards, or 16 of 25 for 145 yards, nobody said a word because he was still producing TDs with his arm and yards and TDs with his legs.

I've talked about his 9% TD percentage before. That is a phenominal TD%. Since 1970, there have been only 2 QBs, who played at least 14 games in the season, to finish with a TD% of 9+. His TD% last year was 3.4%. If he had the same TD% this year as he did last year, he would have thrown 22 less TDs. Alex Smith, Colin Kaepernick, and Tyrod Taylor all had their best year (TD%) under Roman. The problem is that none of them could duplicate it. A really good year is a TD% of 6 - 7. No modern day QB has a career TD% over 6 (Russell Wilson is the leader there). If Jackson had a TD% of 7 this year, his passing TDs would have dropped from 36 to 28 - and a TD% of 6 this year, his passing TDs would have dropped from 36 to 24.

The problem for Jackson moving forward is what helped him this year: He is in a Greg Roman offense. Defenses will figure out how to force his mobile QB to win with his arm. However, Roman's strength is not the passing game when he has to rely on it (the same can be said of Jackson). His passing games are effective when the running game dominates. His teams are always at the bottom of the league in pass attempts. In 7 years as an OC, his teams were 31st or 32nd in pass attempts in 6 of those years (29th in the other). To maintain the kind of TD production Jackson had this year, he would have to duplicate a TD% range that only a couple of QBs ever attained, and that no one ever duplicated. He might be the exception; however, my guess is that next year, his TD% will be between 5 - 6. That would be a good year. However, with a TD% in that range, in Roman's offense, rather than 36 passing TDs, he is throwing for 20-25 TDs.

Lots of good points.

The eternal question of Greg Roman is his passing games and the ability of his QB’s as passers. His teams are always at the bottom of attempts but it’s always been a chicken or egg scenario. He is obviously a more running focused coordinator, and that’s where his creativity shines, but he never really has gifted passers under center. And he’s sought out by teams without gifted passers for that reason. If LJ is of that same mold, we will certainly find out soon enough.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

And Lamar isn't getting the LOOK HOW INACCURATE criticism either. Amazing, no?

Jackson became the darling of the NFL in that first game against the Dolphins. His passing game was never scrutinized

11 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Lots of good fortune for KC, the forgotten team this year. MIA beat NE to give KC the bye, and now TEN beats BAL to give KC the AFCCG at home!

I'm not sold on KC. I had Mahomes in fantasy and he was underwhelming. I know he was injured but he didn't bounce back. Maybe the bye will help.

3 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Lots of good points.

The eternal question of Greg Roman is his passing games and the ability of his QB’s as passers. His teams are always at the bottom of attempts but it’s always been a chicken or egg scenario. He is obviously a more running focused coordinator, and that’s where his creativity shines, but he never really has gifted passers under center. And he’s sought out by teams without gifted passers for that reason. If LJ is of that same mold, we will certainly find out soon enough.

It will be interesting to watch. Baltimore led the NFL, by far, in average lead at the start of their drives at almost 7 points. Baltimore was so rarely behind by an real margin that they never had to deviate from their reliance of everything revolving around the run game and rely soley on Jackson's arm. I suspect if they have to rely on the passing game to win, Jackson will, more often than not, look like he did last. However, it remains to be seen.

4 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...the anointing drool for the rook Jackson being the "greatest invention since beer" appears to be a bit premature (yes the kid does have talent)......similar to the "RG II 1/8" hype...or...better yet, the prolific (COUGH) Jaws saying, "Kaep has the potential to be one of the top 10 greatest QB's"........the Henry kid is remarkable and the EXACT component our backfield is missing...."Thunder 'n Lightning" with Singeltary?....uh oh.....

Derrick Henry is a monster but i wouldnt touch him with my neighbor’s money. Dude has been in the league for 4 years and has his breakout career season when hes an unrestricted free agent. No thanks. 

When was Murray in TN?

Edited by bobobonators
  • Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, london_bills said:

I just read your post and think so much of it also applies to the bills season, the record doesn't matter, home or away doesnt matter. The Bills had a great chance against the texans and we couldn't get it done. Jacksons history is richer than what allen has done and so I do find it ironic how people have Jackson figured out, that's hes overrated, and Allen figured out that he's a franchise QB or along those lines. The season matters in terms of understanding what you have in a player and Jackson has destroyed more teams than Allen has. 

The system and his athleticism destroyed more teams.  The same system did so in SF.  The blueprint is out.  It is the same as Tyrod... take away his running and make him be a QB.  Lamar is a better runner than Tyrod.  Lamar throws better over the middle than Tyrod.  Lamar throws outside about as bad as Peterman.  A lot of his balls were wounded floating ducks that took forever to get to the receiver last night.  Half of those were still caught.  

The problem with Romans system is it can't adapt.  It works because its a gimmick.  The only adaption now is to take out the gimmick.  I am sure that the team will still do well when it faces defenses that don't have the personal to contain Lamar and take away the middle of the field/TE's.  I am also sure that Lamar wont have anywhere near the season he had this year again.

3 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Derrick Henry is a monster but i wouldnt touch him with my neighbor’s money. Dude has been in the league for 4 years and has his breakout career season when hes an unrestricted free agent. No thanks. 

When was Murray in TN?

....first, can't see Titans letting him go.....MAJOR component......hard to say if Henry is a "contract year fluke".....if I remember correctly, Murray arrived with Eagles after a 392 carry season and then to Titans......overload IMO.....if I remember correctly, the beginning of the end for KC's Larry Johnson was 336 carries followed by 416 carries......same for HotLanta's Dirty Bird Anderson with 290 carries followed by 410 (and then ACL).....

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....first, can't see Titans letting him go.....MAJOR component......hard to say if Henry is a "contract year fluke".....if I remember correctly, Murray arrived with Eagles after a 392 carry season and then to Titans......overload IMO.....if I remember correctly, the beginning of the end for KC's Larry Johnson was 336 carries followed by 416 carries......same for HotLanta's Dirty Bird Anderson with 290 carries followed by 410 (and then ACL).....

it is hard to say. Im always weary of such years. The monster averaged over 5ypc this season and hes going to get paid accordingly. I just dont see him having many more seasons like this one. Hes 26 and such a big dude id love to have him as a compliment to Singletary but his salary is not going to be that of a complimentary player. 

Hopefully he stays with Ten and continues to have success there. 

10 hours ago, TuelTime said:

EJ had poor offensive line play, bad WRs.. no run game.. you know all the same excuses that are made for Allen's poor play.

You're trolling. All 3 things are better than what we currently have.  Glenn, Incognito, Wood, Watkins, Woods, Jackson, etc.

23 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

If nothing else, Jackson’s performance should make for an interesting 3 – 7 p.m. on Monday on WGR.

Well all you are  going to hear is that everyone have bad games  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I will go one step further, his entire body language on the sidelines when they showed him was of someone out of sorts.

If that were Josh Allen, some fans here would have suggested he was having a meltdown. 

Dude was frustrated and it clearly showed. If he wasn't, he surely was after the sideways 4th and 1. They hit on fourth and short 100% of the time during the season, and yesterday went 0-3.

Something people need to remember; just because they may have the blueprint to beat Baltimore doesn't mean they have the personnel.  Tennessee did, and so did the Bills. 

Going to be fun to watch the Bills D again next year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, IDBillzFan said:

If that were Josh Allen, some fans here would have suggested he was having a meltdown. 

Dude was frustrated and it clearly showed. If he wasn't, he surely was after the sideways 4th and 1. They hit on fourth and short 100% of the time during the season, and yesterday went 0-3.

Something people need to remember; just because they may have the blueprint to beat Baltimore doesn't mean they have the personnel.  Tennessee did, and so did the Bills. 

Going to be fun to watch the Bills D again next year.

Two excellent points.

The fourth and inches sideways play was very strange, you never see that on any level past peewee. 
Also you are exactly right about the personnel to play the Ravens. The Bills have done a good job so far with their Personnel. They can match up against  any team Both on offense and defense. I point to zero blowout losses this year to help defend my point. Bills are a handful of players away from being a very good team for a long time. I think those players can and will be found by Beane and McDermott this year.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

it is hard to say. Im always weary of such years. The monster averaged over 5ypc this season and hes going to get paid accordingly. I just dont see him having many more seasons like this one. Hes 26 and such a big dude id love to have him as a compliment to Singletary but his salary is not going to be that of a complimentary player. 

Hopefully he stays with Ten and continues to have success there. 

...keep in mind Henry went in the 2nd at #45......so isn't he a prime example of RB value later (somewhat)?......do not see McBeane offering up MAJOR FA dollars to a RB.....he and his "Gang of 17+ Staff" is in the league's top 5 IMO (sincere apologies to the TBD "Fire McBeane...Fire McDermott Gang").....they will find THAT GUY in the draft......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy