Divisional Round: Titans at Ravens

egd

5 minutes ago, H2o said:

A lot of those yards, even admittedly by ESPN (shockingly), were garbage time yards when the game was already decided. The Titans pretty much dominated the first 3 quarters of the game, controlled the clock, and forced 3 turnovers by Lamar. 

When was garbage time, exactly?

I remember Jackson hitting the tight end right in the chest, and it bouncing away, at about the Titans 5 yard line with almost 5 minutes to go in the game when they were down by two TD’s and two 2 pt. conversions.

Jackson definitely isn’t off the hook for that game but there were a lot of factors that put that team behind the 8 ball throughout the game that were not all his doing.

Edited by Binghamton Beast

Lamar had an amazing regular season, their ground attack essentially setup all their deadly passes over the middle and it was a combination that most of the NFL wasn’t able to figure out. And he deserves to be the league MVP.

With that said, I think the book is out on him now.  Stop the RB from getting his yards consistently.

Get outside contain on Lamar.

Take away his up the middle passes and force him to throw to the outside.

I know the Josh Allen haters don’t want to hear it and I know that Allen’s detractors in the media don’t see it but Allen’s upside is more exciting for me.   Allen can hit the outside passes as good as anyone in the league.   He just needs to continue to progress the way he did this past year.

Continue to improve on his mechanics.

Not be afraid to let his players make a play on the ball and to not be so cautious by overthrowing it.

Continue to keep getting better at seeing the field post snap.

And to continue getting more snaps and experience.

Get better at releasing the ball quicker vs the blitz.

Josh markedly improved on all those fronts except for allowing his receivers an opportunity to make a play on his he ball and getting the ball out against the blitz.

So I am very bullish on Allen’s prospects, more so now than ever.   He really was having a really good game up until the final quarter and even then he did make some incredible passes that only a handful of QBs could have made.

I just don’t believe Lamar will be able to replicate what he did this season.   I’ve always thought that it was unsustainable.   I could be wrong and I certainly didn’t see him Doing what he did this past year.   

• Like (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

I just read that the Ravens had the ball inside if the Titans 40 on 8 different drives and Jackson accounted for over 500 yards of offense.

Something clearly went wrong.

16 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Lamar went wrong

Incredibly, Lamar isn’t getting the “look how many yards he had!” Josh Allen Houston excuse.

Just now, Magox said:

Lamar had an amazing regular season, their ground attack essentially setup all their deadly passes over the middle and it was a combination that most of the NFL wasn’t able to figure out. And he deserves to be the league MVP.

With that said, I think the book is out on him now.  Stop the RB from getting his yards consistently.

Get outside contain on Lamar.

Take away his up the middle passes and force him to throw to the outside.

I know the Josh Allen haters don’t want to hear it and I know that Allen’s detractors in the media don’t see it but Allen’s upside is more exciting for me.   Allen can hit the outside passes as good as anyone in the league.   He just needs to continue to progress the way he did this past year.

Continue to improve on his mechanics.

Not be afraid to let his players make a play on the ball and to not be so cautious by overthrowing it.

Continue to keep getting better at seeing the field post snap.

And to continue getting more snaps and experience.

Get better at releasing the ball quicker vs the blitz.

Josh markedly improved on all those fronts except for allowing his receivers an opportunity to make a play on his he ball and getting the ball out against the blitz.

So I am very bullish on Allen’s prospects, more so now than ever.   He really was having a really good game up until the final quarter and even then he did make some incredible passes that only a handful of QBs could have made.

I just don’t believe Lamar will be able to replicate what he did this season.   I’ve always thought that it was unsustainable.   I could be wrong and I certainly didn’t see him Doing what he did this past year.   

Josh stared down his WR’s on the outside curl twice last game and almost threw 2 pick sixes. Not sure I’d call that as good as anyone. Maybe as good as Lamar?

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

And Lamar isn't getting the LOOK HOW INACCURATE criticism either. Amazing, no?

He should be. He was off all night.

I mentioned it 50 pages ago in this behemoth thread. That first pick would have been called “just a little off” by the announcers if Josh threw it. Lamar was getting the star treatment for a while by Ian Eagle.

3 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Josh stared down his WR’s on the outside curl twice last game and almost threw 2 pick sixes. Not sure I’d call that as good as anyone. Maybe as good as Lamar?

That’s not what I was saying, even though that hadn’t been a chronic issue for Allen throughout the season but a documented one for Lamar.

Allen has the arm strength to pull off sideline passes like few others can do, those issues you cited were mental.

Edited by Magox

2 minutes ago, Magox said:

That’s not what I was saying, even though that hadn’t been a chronic issue for Allen throughout the season but a documented one for Lamar.

Allen has the arm strength to pull off sideline passes like few others can do, those issues you cited were mental.

Fair enough. I’m not sure LJ’s problem is arm strength either.

Those ducks last night were uncharacteristic to my eye, although I haven’t watched every game he’s played.

7 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

2017 Mike Vrabel was hired by the Titans as Head Coach and Jimmy G was sent to San Francisco. We were close to NE dominating the division 15 more years.

I'm sure they're happy with 2 more Super Bowl rings but that was close. 

Did Vrabel get a DC job before being a HC? I know we're supposed to hate all ex-Pats but I'm duly impressed. So is he considered to be from the Belichick coaching tree if he never coached in NE?

20 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

I remember Jackson hitting the tight end right in the chest, and it bouncing away, at about the Titans 5 yard line with almost 5 minutes to go in the game when they were down by two TD’s and two 2 pt. conversions.

Jackson definitely isn’t off the hook for that game but there were a lot of factors that put that team behind the 8 ball throughout the game that were not all his doing.

No, I'm not saying it's all on him by any means. He and that offense still aren't built to win a game that way. He's the MVP this year, 1st team All Pro, and put together one heck of a season. They let him do whatever between the 20's, but shut them down after that. 

16 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Fair enough. I’m not sure LJ’s problem is arm strength either.

Those ducks last night were uncharacteristic to my eye, although I haven’t watched every game he’s played.

He has always struggled throwing outside the numbers. That’s why I didn’t want to draft him.

His footwork doesn’t help and he is better at floating a pass than he is throwing it on a line. 

4 minutes ago, stuvian said:

It was quite apparent that Harbaugh did not game plan the Titans. There were no meaningful in game adjustments. I wonder how that will impact the remaining HC coaching searches for Ravens assistants 

I said it when Harbaugh put all his eggs in Lamars basket and got rid of Flacco that it was a bad move. Not that Flacco was the answer but Lamar isn't the answer either. Poor decision by Harbaugh and will be interesting to see where he is in 5 years as Jackson won't repeat the season he just had where is was all set up for him to succeed. IMO the league has caught up for the most part and Lamars games will look alot like last night and worse going forward. As time went on Tyrod, RG 3, Kaepernick, and other runners posing as QBs games got worse and worse until they were useless as QBs and benched. 

54 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Apply the same standard to Allen (not saying you personally don’t- but most don’t) 

I think it’s on the coaches really... they built a system that is 100% dependent on their best player never having a bad day. He had a bad day today and couldn’t overcome it. You saw that in his play, and you saw it in his attitude. 

I tend to agree.  Jackson didn't get much help from his team mates and the Ravens had some costly mistakes.  Titans played a very sound game and no big mistakes.

57 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

I just read that the Ravens had the ball inside if the Titans 40 on 8 different drives and Jackson accounted for over 500 yards of offense.

Something clearly went wrong.

The gimmick stopped working. Made Lamar ineffective on the ground and actually make reads and go through progressions , something he is horrid at. 

I feel like Buf laid the blueprint on how to stop him and Tenn took it to another level. 

33 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Pretty much was all his doing. His tight ends and wide receivers made catches for him. 
Lamar ran sideways on a fourth and inches play. Sideways. Everything points to Lamar being an exceptional athlete, with very little else to offer the QB position. Did you watch the game? Lamar couldn’t run consistently, and he can’t throw good passes consistently. I will go one step further, his entire body language on the sidelines when they showed him was of someone out of sorts.

i think you have seen the best of Lamar, it’s not good enough in the playoffs.