Jessica Pegula v. Serena Williams in the Auckland finals tonight (fell short but great run)

Back to back double faults, then sprays one wide. Looking tight. 

HEY! Jessica plays with the racquet I LOVE! The Yonex Ezone 98 is my favorite racquet in the last 30 years. Awesome stuff. Unfortunately, I’m not 30 years younger.......

Edited by Augie

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

Back to back double faults, then sprays one wide. Looking tight. 

I'm pretty sure she's in over her head. She's ranked like 82nd in the world or something like that. I think she's hanging pretty well against the best women's tennis player ever. Serena is a beast.

4 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

I'm pretty sure she's in over her head. She's ranked like 82nd in the world or something like that. I think she's hanging pretty well against the best women's tennis player ever. Serena is a beast.

Serena is a beast,  indeed. A very nasty one at times. Jessica had a good run recently. Was it the US Open? 

4 minutes ago, popcornpam said:

Come on stop hitting the net

Why so late with that helpful info????      :)

Edited by Augie

Serena may be the most dominant athlete of all time. I don’t like her, but I respect her greatness. Who tops her? I could throw out names, but I wouldn’t believe any were actually superior in their domination. 

Making it to the Finals is a great accomplishment for Jessica. Congrats, and the rankings will continue to rise. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

Serena is a beast,  indeed. A very nasty one at times. Jessica had a good run recently. Was it the US Open? 

I'm not sure on that. I just learned a few hours ago she was in the finals playing Serena.??? The last time I heard she was still struggling, but I admit that was a few years ago.

1 minute ago, Cruiserplayer said:

If this goes to set 3 advantage pegula!!

It looks very unlikely to go 3, and this is exactly why Serena is there.....to get in shape for the Australian Open. Like Tiger, she just cares about the Majors. 

3 minutes ago, popcornpam said:

Serena’s experience is coming through

I’d call it.....the fact that she is the best female tennis player ever is coming through. Even at this age, she’s a monster! But, like Brady......Father Time will prevail. 

• Like (+1) 1

Hard to believe this match would ever be close. Serena typically gives up a lot of games in the 1st set to players and then mows them down. She’ll even lose the set to good players but it makes no difference in the end.

Serena is simply the best player that has ever played the game. I think her fitness has suffered since the birth of her child but she remains physically and technically dominant. Only players with comparable power have a chance to beat her. Niomi Osaka is certainly one of them.

Serena does complain often  about perceived injustices but so have a lot of players. However, she’s the only one I’ve ever seen threaten a linesman (“I stuff this ball down your f&*king throat!”) for calling a foot fault. Even McEnroe never went that far.

Edited by BisonMan