Jessica Pegula v. Serena Williams in the Auckland finals tonight (fell short but great run)

3 hours ago, Leonhart2017 said:

I am not a tennis fan but Jessica Pegula has made me one. Regardless of the outcome of this match it is awesome where she is going with her career 

That must be a big pay day for her and now she gets more name recognition , congrats 

• Like (+1) 2

Amazing family? Dude, she's the spoiled child of a billionaire who has never, for one second in her life, know what a real day's work is like. Her parents bankrolled endless private tennis lessons and she never had any pressure to have to give up and get a job. Give everyone that opportunity and lots of kids would turn out to be anonymous pros hanging on for a paycheck that dwarfs what's in your trust fund.  She has a lifetime losing record in tournaments, she's ranked 82nd in the world and is 25, well past most players peak years. She just lost to a 38-year-old mother who hasn't won a title in 3 hears. She's basically playing tennis as a hobby because she can, that's not "amazing" it called privilege. The privilege is amazing.... if you were lucky enough to be born into this family. Kim's adoption story is amazing, but she was a nobody until, wow, she met and married Terry. And everything she does isn't amazing. Everyone overstates what they've done but if anyone on this board had the money she did, you could do all the same stuff. Stop glorifying these people as other worldy. They're good people, clearly. But amazing? And the glorification extends right to board admin, who aggressively babysit this board for any topic that it's the Bills/football and toss it. But I guess this is One Tennis Drive too so long as it's about your savior Terry and his "amazing family."

And no, I don't resent the family one iota for being filthy rich. Good for them. Terry earned it, he rolled the dice, took chances, and it worked. He understood the rules of the game and dominated it. But let's be honest here.... HE, TERRANCE M. PEGULA earned that money and any accolades for what his wife and kids do or have because of the opportunity his money affords them is blind idolatry.

Cognitive dissonance is a hell of an affliction.

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, zonabb said:

Amazing family? Dude, she's the spoiled child of a billionaire who has never, for one second in her life, know what a real day's work is like. Her parents bankrolled endless private tennis lessons and she never had any pressure to have to give up and get a job. Give everyone that opportunity and lots of kids would turn out to be anonymous pros hanging on for a paycheck that dwarfs what's in your trust fund.  She has a lifetime losing record in tournaments, she's ranked 82nd in the world and is 25, well past most players peak years. She just lost to a 38-year-old mother who hasn't won a title in 3 hears. She's basically playing tennis as a hobby because she can, that's not "amazing" it called privilege. The privilege is amazing.... if you were lucky enough to be born into this family. Kim's adoption story is amazing, but she was a nobody until, wow, she met and married Terry. And everything she does isn't amazing. Everyone overstates what they've done but if anyone on this board had the money she did, you could do all the same stuff. Stop glorifying these people as other worldy. They're good people, clearly. But amazing? And the glorification extends right to board admin, who aggressively babysit this board for any topic that it's the Bills/football and toss it. But I guess this is One Tennis Drive too so long as it's about your savior Terry and his "amazing family."

And no, I don't resent the family one iota for being filthy rich. Good for them. Terry earned it, he rolled the dice, took chances, and it worked. He understood the rules of the game and dominated it. But let's be honest here.... HE, TERRANCE M. PEGULA earned that money and any accolades for what his wife and kids do or have because of the opportunity his money affords them is blind idolatry.

No need to be such a Moose Knuckle ...  SMH....

Amazing family? Dude, she's the spoiled child of a billionaire who has never, for one second in her life, know what a real day's work is like. Her parents bankrolled endless private tennis lessons and she never had any pressure to have to give up and get a job. Give everyone that opportunity and lots of kids would turn out to be anonymous pros hanging on for a paycheck that dwarfs what's in your trust fund. 

Nah man. Gotta disagree here. Yes; she was given more opportunity than almost anyone in the world. I'm with you there. But how many of these kids actually put in the work like J Pegula? All the opportunity in the world doesn't negate the effort she put forth.

It's an odd position I find myself in defending the privileged, but you're acting like she was handed a tennis career that lead to a match-up with Serena. Crazy talk.

• Thank you (+1) 2

Everybody that's anybody in tennis or golf either had a 1% upbringing and/or one or both of their parents dropped everything to make it possible.

You are over-thinking it.   It's all relative.   1% is still a lot when you consider how much of the world plays those sports.    It's impressive to be great at anything.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Everybody that's anybody in tennis or golf either had a 1% upbringing and/or one or both of their parents dropped everything to make it possible.

You are over-thinking it.   It's all relative.   1% is still a lot when you consider how much of the world plays those sports.    It's impressive to be great at anything.

I mean Djoker escaped war torn Serbia, so it wasn’t that easy.

7 minutes ago, stony said:

I mean Djoker escaped war torn Serbia, so it wasn’t that easy.

Yeah, right.:lol:

His dad was a pro skier and successful businessman and Djoker was training at top tennis academies in the US and Europe at age 7.

Cool story, tho.

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah, right.:lol:

His dad was a pro skier and successful businessman and Djoker was training at top tennis academies in the US and Europe at age 7.

Cool story, tho.

If you want to run w the parents line here, fine. Dad and mom ran a restaurant and sporting goods store. Hardly 1% stuff. 

13 hours ago, zonabb said:

What’s sad is your lack of acknowledgement regarding her accomplishments. Sure, she had nearly unlimited resources. She also had nothing more than internal motivation! I LOVE that!  I’d venture a guess that her typical day has her working FAR harder than you do. It’s not just a game. 

Our CPA’s wife is from Russia. Her only way out of a life of poverty was to fight like hell to beat girls like the billionaire’s daughter. She got to college here for her tennis, as did some of her friends. None of them, despite extreme motivation, EVER got as far as the Pegula’s daughter, the girl who never NEEDED to work hard at anything. 

I’m VERY impressed! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

You seem fun at parties

She has become a professional athlete. She's working hard. I've followed her tennis career some and she's come a long way. Sure she has the best people around her but hard work is the only way it was done. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/11/2020 at 12:31 PM, KD in CA said:

Funny how much she has in common with Brady.  Of course, while they are both insufferable during the game, he is at least gracious in defeat afterward.

And while they are both quite obviously the most successful of all time in their field, I wouldn't call either the 'greatest'.

Ah...now I see the connection. Serena=Brady, Brady plays football, tennis=football!