Jessica Pegula v. Serena Williams in the Auckland finals tonight (fell short but great run)

3 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

giphy.gif

Right. Brady is not gracious in defeat. Throws his helmet, whines to refs, etc.

Coming to the podium and giving polite cliche's does not equate to gracious. 

Serena and Brady are both "perhaps" the greatest to ever play their respective sport, but neither is gracious. 

I've never really had much interest in grace. Nobody's happy when they lose and the true greats are never going to just accept it and let it be. That's probably part of the reason they're great to begin with. Every single great player in every single sport has had a massive ego, whether they're publicly gracious or not.

But that is awesome for Pegula. Love to see the offspring of billionaires go out and make a name for THEMSELVES.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

I didn’t know the Pegulas adopted I think two of their children.  Makes me like them even more as we adopted my third child.

No...Kim Pegula is adopted. They have 3 children together and he has two others from a first marriage. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Funny how much she has in common with Brady.  Of course, while they are both insufferable during the game, he is at least gracious in defeat afterward.

And while they are both quite obviously the most successful of all time in their field, I wouldn't call either the 'greatest'.

He's the biggest f'in crybaby biatch in all of sports...

7 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Serena Williams is the NE* of tennis....she'll cry and whine about every little thing and probably end up winning.

I cheer for Serena’s opponent just as I cheer for the Cheaters* opponent. This just makes me even more excited about the possibility. Serena can be a very nasty person. It shocked me in person, and I’m not easily shocked. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Other than recency bias, on basis is she?

Billie Jean King was historically more important to women's tennis.  And now that you've made me google tennis records, I see that King won the same # of Grand Slam titles as Williams.  Navratilova and Court both won many more.  Even using the myopic view of only counting singles GS titles Williams is still 2d in that category.  And she's only 8th in all time tournament wins, so not sure how all of that adds up to 'greatest'.  In fact, I need to retract my prior comment about being the 'most accomplished' female tennis player as she clearly is not.

They were greats but they were mostly playing nice ladies with wooden tennis rackets.  Williams best far better players and would have destroyed each golf tkose champs

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So since tonight is really yesterday down under, did they actually already play?  And who won?

This may only be true if you own two teams in different cities.

Well obviously you're not going to know until tomorrow when the paper gets to your door. Makes it more exciting. 

1 hour ago, Luvbills said:

No...Kim Pegula is adopted. They have 3 children together and he has two others from a first marriage. 

I misread then the summary.  I know she was adopted but thought the way the summary came across they adopted as well.  Funny, as I know she is adopted from South Korea, and my daughter is adopted from Southern China.  My little Mulan.  She loves when I call her that from Disney.

• Like (+1) 2