Jessica Pegula v. Serena Williams in the Auckland finals tonight (fell short but great run)

46 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Funny how much she has in common with Brady.  Of course, while they are both insufferable during the game, he is at least gracious in defeat afterward.

And while they are both quite obviously the most successful of all time in their field, I wouldn't call either the 'greatest'.

How is she not the GOAT?

• Thank you (+1) 1

A win puts her near the top 50 which is huge for tournament seeding and early round match ups etc... it will also potentially give her a nice 1st round draw for the Aussie Open. If she can make some noise there say 3rd or 4th round. It could be a crazy year for her! 

Edited by Lenigmusx

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

How is she not the GOAT?

Other than recency bias, on basis is she?

Billie Jean King was historically more important to women's tennis.  And now that you've made me google tennis records, I see that King won the same # of Grand Slam titles as Williams.  Navratilova and Court both won many more.  Even using the myopic view of only counting singles GS titles Williams is still 2d in that category.  And she's only 8th in all time tournament wins, so not sure how all of that adds up to 'greatest'.  In fact, I need to retract my prior comment about being the 'most accomplished' female tennis player as she clearly is not.

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I really like the Pegulas not just because they kept the team in Buffalo, but the sincere interest in revitalizing Buffalo for both teams.  

They've definitely done a lot for Buffalo. The greedy side of me wishes they donated to UB too though if that money could've gone to keeping Nate Oats. :P  

Edited by suorangefan4

2 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Funny how much she has in common with Brady.  Of course, while they are both insufferable during the game, he is at least gracious in defeat afterward.

And while they are both quite obviously the most successful of all time in their field, I wouldn't call either the 'greatest'.

giphy.gif

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Other than recency bias, on basis is she?

Billie Jean King was historically more important to women's tennis.  And now that you've made me google tennis records, I see that King won the same # of Grand Slam titles as Williams.  Navratilova and Court both won many more.  Even using the myopic view of only counting singles GS titles Williams is still 2d in that category.  And she's only 8th in all time tournament wins, so not sure how all of that adds up to 'greatest'.  In fact, I need to retract my prior comment about being the 'most accomplished' female tennis player as she clearly is not.

Isn't greatest determined how much money players earned in modern world?