Cody Ford fined over 28k for illegal blind side block

YoloinOhio

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

Start your unpacking with the fact that reputation precedes players.

Officials watch tape and are aware of penalty stats and know what they are getting into going into games.

Ford has earned a rep for unnecessary/undisciplined "dumb" penalties.  

You want to ignore this and act like it shouldn't be part of the equation.   Well keep ignoring facts and you will keep being outraged.

Marv once said "if you get a reputation as an early riser.....you can sleep til' noon".    Works the other way around too.    He needs to be aware of his rep and fix it.   In the meantime don't engage in even unnecessarily "marginal" action right directly in front of an official as was the case on this play.    

I'm going to assume Nickell Robey Coleman had the best reputation in the league, so I'm really at a loss as to why there was any "outrage" at all after his hit on TommyLee Lewis last year and why, as if by divine intervention, the league re-evaluated the rules in place.  Interestingly, lots of folks were "outraged" over the implementation of the new review rule and the calls being overturned, or not, that seemed to be at odds with the rules.  I'm thinking the NFL's honest response should simply  "HEY, FELLAS, IT'S COOL...THIS DB IS COOL---MACARENA COOL..NO FLAG NECESSARY.". 

Country Music superstar Aaron Tippin wrote "If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.".  If you're cool with one guy writing a check for $28k because you have an issue with him, while another guy doesn't even warrant a flag, well, good for you.   i'm sure the league will learn him right. 

Have a good night.  

7 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Seems like a possibility.

mCD should now come put and blast the fine.  In fact, so should Pegula.  If they draw enough attention to this perhaps the NFL finally backs down in its quest to hide bad officiating.  

Edited by RyanC883

Forcible = risking injury.  Not even close to that threshold.  I've seen legal screens in basketball that involved more force.  In the video posted that the league prepared every hit was a "decleater."  That seems to be their intent for forcible not the bump Cody gave.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

That doesn’t really help anything.... would probably have the opposite effect. They’ll have a target on their backs with the refs all year next season.

As opposed to getting jobbed when it matters most?

Consider me unafraid 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

As opposed to getting jobbed when it matters most?

Consider me unafraid 

Really only 2 options.  Shut up and take it or go scorched earth on these assclowns and see what happens.  The problem is they set the narrative for their entertainment business.  

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

That doesn’t really help anything.... would probably have the opposite effect. They’ll have a target on their backs with the refs all year next season.

That's exactly what happened to Jerry Hughes. He had some discipline problems early in his career and now he's allowed to be held every play and they'll call a personal foul on him for breathing too close to somebody. He's been one of the best edge rushers in the league for the past 4 years but no one will ever know because he isn't allowed to play by the same rules as everyone else.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, MPT said:

That's exactly what happened to Jerry Hughes. He had some discipline problems early in his career and now he's allowed to be held every play and they'll call a personal foul on him for breathing too close to somebody. He's been one of the best edge rushers in the league for the past 4 years but no one will ever know because he isn't allowed to play by the same rules as everyone else.

He had the target on his back early on, but it was removable. Now it's fixed on after the incident with a zebra on the way to the locker room.

Going 'scorched earth' about the fine and poor calls, is only going to work if you make it a campaign, because you have to keep it up to ensure that the team doesn't get stiffed regularly. I don't think it's either sustainable, or worth it. It's far too easy to argue 'what are you going to replace them with' and it would become a distracting narrative for the team.

Where you can express feelings about these things, is at the owners meetings, and I expect that that will be done. I hope it's done as forcibly as possible, with a push to get the rules reviewed and altered if necessary. Tbh, I've long been of the opinion that they need to re-write the rules completely, in plain english, so everyone has a chance at understanding them.

Inconsistency is the root of many of the officiating issues, and it happens even within games. Zebras let a lot of stuff go, early on in games, and then when things start to heat up, especially in the late 3rd and 4th quarters of games, the flags start coming out. This simply shouldn't happen. Throw the flags the whole game, or not at all.

Ford is in the unfortunate situation of being fined a big chunk of change, in effect on a technicality. I don't want to get into the 'was it wasn't it' debate, but the bottom line is that the NFL sets 'tariffs' for fines for specific offenses. Thing is, they didn't have to do it. They could quite easily have said that while it was called correctly, there was no malice or intent, and so there will be no fine. The NFL really does like to shoot itself in the foot on a regular basis.

On 1/11/2020 at 10:39 AM, YoloinOhio said:

Yep they are doubling down on the call to prove they were right. Because they think we are all stupid. 

I swear to God — Al Riveron is not only a dumb guy,  but also vindictive and lacking in good judgment (because of the vindictiveness).

16 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Officials watch tape and are aware of penalty stats and know what they are getting into going into games.

You want to ignore this and act like it shouldn't be part of the equation.   Well keep ignoring facts and you will keep being outraged.

Marv once said "if you get a reputation as an early riser.....you can sleep til' noon".    Works the other way around too.    He needs to be aware of his rep and fix it.   In the meantime don't engage in even unnecessarily "marginal" action right directly in front of an official as was the case on this play.    

The fine is really, really stupid and a clear sign that Riveron has some sort of Napoleon complex. He is, quite simply, a dumb person who somehow failed upward into his current position. As for rules and other players, they didn’t fine Clowney on a clear kill shot to the QB. That should end any argument about the the fairness of this.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 3

Watching the Raven/Titans highlights and not once but twice in the same play #73 on the ravens blocked two different guys illegally with no flag.

Video wont work with the timestamp but it's a t the 11:40 mark.

Edited by The Wiz
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

I swear to God — Al Riveron is not only a dumb guy,  but also vindictive and lacking in good judgment (because of the vindictiveness).

The fine is really, really stupid and a clear sign that Riveron has some sort of Napoleon complex. He is, quite simply, a dumb person who somehow failed upward into his current position. As for rules and other players, they didn’t fine Clowney on a clear kill shot to the QB. That should end any argument about the the fairness of this.

My guess is Riveron will be out of the position soon.

But this season there is an EMPHASIS on this type of block so I'm not surprised that they made a point to issue a fine.

I don't feel bad at all for Cody Ford he f*cked up a Bills driver earlier in the game with his stupidity right after getting away with a blatant penalty just the play before!  This after a season full of dumb penalties and assignment mistakes by him.  The apologizing for the guy and rationalization for his mistakes(he missed that block by design!) has been ridiculous.:lol:

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

Watching the Raven/Titans highlights and not once but twice in the same play #73 on the ravens blocked two different guys illegally with no flag.

Video won’t play, but I know exactly what you’re talking about me and my son we’re yelling at the tv, “that was a blindside block” but no flag! It’s horrible!! But that’s the NFL?‍♂️

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

Happens all the time. 

15 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

That's possible, but I think if the coach comes out, and the owner backs him up, esp. on a call that was WRONG that led to a fine, you'd have analysists coming after the NFL for any additional sort of chicanery.  

On 1/11/2020 at 11:09 AM, Cripple Creek said:

phew, he got off lucky. I was expecting a suspension and loss of draft picks.

I felt the same.

How dare the Bills allow themselves to make the playoffs !
This should learn us purty good.

Some one is still pissed at Ralph.

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/11/2020 at 10:38 AM, Do The Reich Thing said:

Yet Clowney got nothing for his hit on Wentz...

I swear the NFL is trying to test people’s patience and daring people to stop watching

I am not watching any non Bills games right now and have not since October. I will state they have moved me somewhat- I no longer think the games could be fixed- the officiating is so atrocious at all times, that you would not control games this way.

23 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

this is absurd. and worse you are defending it.
We all are aware of Hughes rep and how has suffered for it.
How does that create a level playing field. Both figuratively and literally ?
you to can see the Blind Eye from folks who have posted video here in this thread.
The play did not affect the outcome of the game till the penalty was called. and Ford was not intent on a "kill hit"

The rule was designed for kick and punt returns , to increase a level of safety. That was the intent.
 any time the League is trying to influence play behaviour ? Is just bizarre.
That's for the Coach to address. And certainly the ROOKIE Ford is not the one to Make and example of.
Vontaze Burfict Kiko Alonso come to mind. But Ford.

Play football. Not politics

• Like (+1) 2