Cody Ford fined over 28k for illegal blind side block

YoloinOhio

Just now, Negan said:

What a joke, no surprise the NFL wanted the Mahomes vs Watson matchup and would do anything possible to make that happen...

Which they carried out the league narrative flawlessly

Wait I though NFL wanted Patriots? Mahomes and Watson playing has as much to do with Pats losing as it does Texans winning.

8 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

What direction is Ford blocking in the video? 
Please find the part of the rule where it says it is ok to block toward your endzone if the guy sees it? 

Watch this short video from NFL football operations.  There is no way Ford's block was anything close to the examples provided.  The rule is more than just the blocker's path are toward or parallel to his end zone.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Nice NFL.  Any fine for the missed helmet to helmets on Allen?

PLAYER SAFETY

Two QBs get lit up on hits leading with the crown of the helmet, but at least we took care of Ford playing patty cake on a defenders shoulder pads. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Because this board is filled with people posting that the NFL has chosen which teams are going to win. And that the refs are biased for one team over another. Refs make mistakes all the time and I call that out. 
Why not be objective and lay the blame where it should, on Ford? 

How do you explain away the illegal hit on Josh Allen that followed, especially with the emphasis on “ player safety” ? Did they just miss it ? There were zero flags thrown on HOU in play at all , in almost 5 quarters of football. There definitely is subtle bias by refs toward certain “ good teams” . There is also huge bias by the NFL when certain big markets are involved, and that’s when you get games like we saw last Saturday. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Do The Reich Thing said:

Yet Clowney got nothing for his hit on Wentz...

I swear the NFL is trying to test people’s patience and daring people to stop watching

I was just gonna post this.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Wait I though NFL wanted Patriots? Mahomes and Watson playing has as much to do with Pats losing as it does Texans winning.

They always want Patriots. Brady grounds the ball with no consequence, and offensive holding is rarely called against them. They get their subtle assistance every game, but this year’s version of the Pats still wasn’t good enough vs a physical team like TEN. 

2 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Because to single out Ford on a penalty that by the very nature is a judgment call penalty (define forcible contact v any contact), where the NFL is notoriously inconsistent as acknowledged by virtually every fan in America, at a critical point in the game, where officials generally do not throw flags, in an innocuous situation seems silly to me.  Put another way, the call can be made, but it was joke that it was made. 

At the same time, the TD/no TD call is made correctly on the field, but "corrected" to account for the players feeling or intent at the moment.  I cannot recall a time when the men in black rushed on to the field, and while I acknowledge they can, it's fair to question why they would.

Finally, the head shot to JA no-call. Maybe they didn't see it, maybe the felt JA lead with his chin, maybe whatever.  

The bottom line for me is when human error is involved, it's rare to see questionable calls go against you multiple times. 

Finally, you mentioned that the NFL was sending a message that the call was correct.  That seems to imply discretion again, and the reality is that the message had already  been sent when the flag was thrown.  The game is over, the fine totally unnecessary, yet they feel a need to send a message? 

The officiating is horrid, players and fans cannot change things one way or the other, but imo it's not a golden goose that cannot be discussed. I respect your right to disagree, but honestly, complaining about play selection or QB play falls into the same category. It accomplishes a absolutely nothing. 

Fine was totally unnecessary . I agree.

Officiating is terrible. I agree. It needs to be fixed. I advocate for making every call reviewable with a limited number of challenges.
But it is not a league wide mandate to get certain teams to win or certain teams to play each other in the playoffs. 

Play selection is a good call out. Coaches are correct in that it is execution not play calling. Play design is different than play calling and design is far more important. We as fans have no idea if a play call us good or bad and most of the time it is 100% hindsight. During the game thread I try to predict the call to put myself on the spot.

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

How do you explain away the illegal hit on Josh Allen that followed, especially with the emphasis on “ player safety” ? Did they just miss it ? There were zero flags thrown on HOU in play at all , in almost 5 quarters of football. There definitely is subtle bias by refs toward certain “ good teams” . There is also huge bias by the NFL when certain big markets are involved, and that’s when you get games like we saw last Saturday. 

This.  

I will readily admit that we lost due to our second half playcalling, demeanor and the fact our defense gave up a 16 point lead.  

That doesn’t mean the refs didn’t completely **** us over in this game.  

2nd half kickoff

Ford Penalty

Delay of Game

Crown of helmet hit on Allen

Playoff Games are typically two good teams playing each other.  Margin of error stands to reason refs can influence the game one way or the other.  They did.  We also gave them the opportunity to do so based on our poor performance after halftime.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Watch this short video from NFL football operations.  There is no way Ford's block was anything close to the examples provided.  The rule is more than just the blocker's path are toward or parallel to his end zone.

The rule is forcible contact. All Ford had to do was block with his hands and Bills win the game.

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Fine was totally unnecessary . I agree.

Officiating is terrible. I agree. It needs to be fixed. I advocate for making every call reviewable with a limited number of challenges.
But it is not a league wide mandate to get certain teams to win or certain teams to play each other in the playoffs. 

Play selection is a good call out. Coaches are correct in that it is execution not play calling. Play design is different than play calling and design is far more important. We as fans have no idea if a play call us good or bad and most of the time it is 100% hindsight. During the game thread I try to predict the call to put myself on the spot.

I'm not arguing against fans digging into play calls or execution, just pointing out that it's as impactful or meaningful as complaining about a call.  Everybody enjoys the game their way and personally I read  select posters who seem to have a handle on the game v most sports reporters. 

Btw I always figure when I know the call the play calling generally sucks. 

I think it is naive to think the NFL wants a pure and clean season that simply results in the best teams making the tournament. The NFL wants the highest rated, best sports entertainment for the masses to maximize revenue.  I think that means that to overcome the tendency to look the other way for some teams while calling the others right, a team that doesn't check all the boxes truly has to knock the other teams out. 

I'm no x and o expert, but considered individually I can see every call going one way or the other, but collectively?:

JA hit and knocked down well after the whistle early. Clear penalty. 

Watt sack on JA on the Beasley miss, full body weight on The Qb. Certainly could have been called.

Td no Td.

Watson delay of game.

Ford "forcible contact" with shoulder parallel to own goalline with modest contact. 

JA helmet to chin. 

There are more...but one last thing. Its impossible for me to view it all without the context of no similar penalties against Houston. 

Anyway, I've decided to vote with my dollars. In spite of the general excitement of the Bills trending up, I've decided to cancel the  2 season tix accounts I've had for 10 or 15 years with a letter to NFL explaining why.  I realize it means nothing to the corporation, but its silly to keep paying for something that is largely impacted by one key element that is consistently bad. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

It’s debatable if it is forcible contact. 100% agree with you on that. Whether the player can see it has nothing to do with the call.

He crouched and then threw his shoulder/forearm. If he just bumps/brushes the guy impeding him, it’s no flag. Pull your arm in, etc... and then extend through him and you’ve forcibly hit him. 

37 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

What direction is Ford blocking in the video? 
Please find the part of the rule where it says it is ok to block toward your endzone if the guy sees it? 

There has to be some common sense applied as well. If everything were black & white, the kick-off mishap would’ve been a Bills touchdown.  Instead they apply ‘common sense’ along with intent, and the call goes in favor of Houston. That likely would’ve been the game right there. 

In Ford’s case, yes, he was mostly facing his end zone, however it was minimal contact, and FAR from a blindside hit. (I would feel otherwise if it truly was a defenseless player getting completely blown up... but far from the case).  

At that point in the game, common sense should also be applied. I also highly doubt the Texans would’ve complained about that block if it weren’t called!  That should not have been a penalty, and it potentially was the game decider.  

And to put a fine on top of it.... just unbelievable. 

• Like (+1) 2