Cody Ford fined over 28k for illegal blind side block

YoloinOhio

Absurd. In addition to all the calls the league missed during the game, they have the audacity to investigate the Bills because they didn't have him on the injury report for his torn wrist ligaments. I love the Bills and I love the game of football, but this is just stupid. The league continues to do everything it can to ruin the game.

9 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

It was a penalty. But I agree a fine is unwarranted.  We see a lot worse go unfined. NFL sending a message that the officials got the call correct.

No.  It wasn’t.  

You’re one of, maybe, 1% of NFL fans arguing this. 

Even Texans fans disagree with you. 

“by the letter of the law though....” Ok, so everything is a penalty then.  

Edited by SCBills

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

It was a penalty. But I agree a fine is unwarranted.  We see a lot worse go unfined. NFL sending a message that the officials got the call correct.

Shouldn't have been a penalty or a fine.  Look at the :12 second mark, the Houston defender is looking at Ford (he sees him) and is raising his arms in anticipation of contact with Ford.  The refs, and the NFL, got it wrong; the league offices are not going to contradict the refs.  It is only getting worse under Goodell, who never should have got his new contract two years ago.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, PIZ said:

Is the Houston defender actually blind? Perhaps that’s the reason it was a blindside block and fine? This is unreal. The Bills will never win a playoff game. It’s obvious that the NFL hates Buffalo. I guess the Smoking Man on the X- Files was right and they must still be following his guidance. 

See here is an example. The rule has nothing to do with the defender seeing him. It about which direction the blocking player is facing. You can’t block towards your own endzone.

4 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Shouldn't have been a penalty or a fine.  Look at the :12 second mark, the Houston defender is looking at Ford (he sees him) and is raising his arms in anticipation of contact with Ford.  The refs, and the NFL, got it wrong; the league offices are not going to contradict the refs.  It is only getting worse under Goodell, who never should have got his new contract two years ago.

5 minutes ago, SCBills said:

No.  It wasn’t.  

You’re one of the 1% of NFL fans arguing this for some reason. 

Even Texans fans disagree with you. 

To the letter of the rule it actually it is debatable if it is a penalty or not.  Debatable because he hit with his shoulder but I believe that he did not lead with his shoulder so that should mean something.  It really doesn't have anything to do with whether the player see's him or not.  I think people get that impression because of the name of the penalty which does not actually suggest what the description of the penalty is.  However, it should not be a penalty IMO.  That's a pretty safe and clean block.  The rule is in place and was actually changed to prevent injury.  A defenseless receiver type of injury.  This is not that.

Edited by Scott7975

2 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

What direction is Ford blocking in the video? 
Please find the part of the rule where it says it is ok to block toward your endzone if the guy sees it? 

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

What direction is Ford blocking in the video? 
Please find the part of the rule where it says it is ok to block toward your endzone if the guy sees it? 

While you are correct... its still debatable.  There is more to the rule than just parralel/toward own endzone.

6 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

See here is an example. The rule has nothing to do with the defender seeing him. It about which direction the blocking player is facing. You can’t block towards your own endzone.

Don’t blocks facing your end zone happen all the time, but are never called? I’ve seen it on kickoffs all the time and never called. The Bills seem to get these weird calls called on them all the time. Would it happen to the Patriots. The NFL wanted Houston to win this game. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Ethan in Portland said:

Because this board is filled with people posting that the NFL has chosen which teams are going to win. And that the refs are biased for one team over another. Refs make mistakes all the time and I call that out. 
Why not be objective and lay the blame where it should, on Ford? 

Because to single out Ford on a penalty that by the very nature is a judgment call penalty (define forcible contact v any contact), where the NFL is notoriously inconsistent as acknowledged by virtually every fan in America, at a critical point in the game, where officials generally do not throw flags, in an innocuous situation seems silly to me.  Put another way, the call can be made, but it was joke that it was made. 

At the same time, the TD/no TD call is made correctly on the field, but "corrected" to account for the players feeling or intent at the moment.  I cannot recall a time when the men in black rushed on to the field, and while I acknowledge they can, it's fair to question why they would.

Finally, the head shot to JA no-call. Maybe they didn't see it, maybe the felt JA lead with his chin, maybe whatever.  

The bottom line for me is when human error is involved, it's rare to see questionable calls go against you multiple times. 

Finally, you mentioned that the NFL was sending a message that the call was correct.  That seems to imply discretion again, and the reality is that the message had already  been sent when the flag was thrown.  The game is over, the fine totally unnecessary, yet they feel a need to send a message? 

The officiating is horrid, players and fans cannot change things one way or the other, but imo it's not a golden goose that cannot be discussed. I respect your right to disagree, but honestly, complaining about play selection or QB play falls into the same category. It accomplishes a absolutely nothing. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1