Cody Ford fined over 28k for illegal blind side block

YoloinOhio

18 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Thank u, just wanted to make sure I was going to hurl for all the right reasons. The NFL is a ***** joke.

Clearly Jacob Martin (#54) has eyes in the back of his head, if that's supposed to be blocking his 'blind' side...

9 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

See which way Allen is running. See the back of Ford’s jersey. 
It’s a penalty. Learn the god dam rules and stop complaining about the officiating 

What is the rule?  What is the rule on kickoffs while you are at it.

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

What is the rule?  What is the rule on kickoffs while you are at it.

From https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/2019-rules-changes-and-points-of-emphasis/

BLINDSIDE BLOCK

Owners voted to expand protection of defenseless players by eliminating the blindside block. It is now prohibited for a blocker to initiate forcible contact with his head, shoulder or forearm when his path is toward or parallel to his own end line. The penalty for an illegal blindside block is a loss of 15 yards and an automatic first down.

So its actually debatable if Ford's play was a penalty or not. I don't think it was because it not was FORCIBLE contact. 

KICKOFF

The ball is dead if it is not touched by the receiving team and touches the ground in the end zone (touchback).

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

From https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/2019-rules-changes-and-points-of-emphasis/

BLINDSIDE BLOCK

Owners voted to expand protection of defenseless players by eliminating the blindside block. It is now prohibited for a blocker to initiate forcible contact with his head, shoulder or forearm when his path is toward or parallel to his own end line. The penalty for an illegal blindside block is a loss of 15 yards and an automatic first down.

So its actually debatable if Ford's play was a penalty or not. I don't think it was because it not was FORCIBLE contact. 

KICKOFF

The ball is dead if it is not touched by the receiving team and touches the ground in the end zone (touchback).

I know what the rules are lol.  I was talking to angry guy.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

See which way Allen is running. See the back of Ford’s jersey. 
It’s a penalty. Learn the god dam rules and stop complaining about the officiating 

I've never understood a guy who opines on all sorts of football topics yet gets upset when someone else does the same.  I understand that you believe the officiating is a quality product and that human error may/is part of it, but why the frustration with others who recognize that officiating is a huge part of the game. 

It's not like there is a consensus that the highly paid, supposedly highly trained, post-game graded apparenly-average aged 65 do an exceptional job. It's not even that they are widely viewed as consistent. 

NFL experts are weighing in all the time on the issue. Guys like Pat Kirwin acknowledge the officiating issues, albeit only when calls tilt games that matter at inopportune times. The NFL itself comes back with comments, but typically only after marquis games are impacted at inopportune times. 

The reality is its beyond the control of the fan, but officiating influences games and there is a stunning lack of consistency which seems at times to benefit some ar the expense of others. 

Why do you care if someone else cares?   

• Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Is the Houston defender actually blind? Perhaps that’s the reason it was a blindside block and fine? This is unreal. The Bills will never win a playoff game. It’s obvious that the NFL hates Buffalo. I guess the Smoking Man on the X- Files was right and they must still be following his guidance. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

It was a penalty. But I agree a fine is unwarranted.  We see a lot worse go unfined. NFL sending a message that the officials got the call correct.

By the rules it is. My issues are that (1) it is a penalty you would rarely see called in overtime of a playoff game (particularly when the defensive player initiated the contact as much as the offensive player) and (2) it is certainly not worthy of a fine.

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I've never understood a guy who opines on all sorts of football topics yet gets upset when someone else does the same.  I understand that you believe the officiating is a quality product and that human error may/is part of it, but why the frustration with others who recognize that officiating is a huge part of the game. 

It's not like there is a consensus that the highly paid, supposedly highly trained, post-game graded apparenly-average aged 65 do an exceptional job. It's not even that they are widely viewed as consistent. 

NFL experts are weighing in all the time on the issue. Guys like Pat Kirwin acknowledge the officiating issues, albeit only when calls tilt games that matter at inopportune times. The NFL itself comes back with comments, but typically only after marquis games are impacted at inopportune times. 

The reality is its beyond the control of the fan, but officiating influences games and there is a stunning lack of consistency which seems at times to benefit some ar the expense of others. 

Why do you care if someone else cares?   

Because this board is filled with people posting that the NFL has chosen which teams are going to win. And that the refs are biased for one team over another. Refs make mistakes all the time and I call that out. 
Why not be objective and lay the blame where it should, on Ford?