Preseason 2019 debate revisited: Zay Jones vs Duke Williams

Who will have the better NFL career?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Which WR will have the better NFL career?

12 hours ago, CSBill said:

I would say, Duke has a better future than Jones. Jones is what he is, an acceptable #5 receiver who can do the easy stuff and is a decent blocker, but don't expect anything big. Duke is bigger, stronger, maybe slower, but has better hands and physicality. His blocking is equal, but he will make tough catches Jones can't. He brings more to a team going forward.

If I'm a GM, I take Duke over Zay.

Yes on all counts. Duke will make this team next year even if it's as the last wr. We saw such a small sample size of what he's capable of. Players like Jones, Foster, McKenzie and Roberts got all his playing time and targets. I want to see our wr room get bigger, taller.  No more smurfs.....

10 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

another LAMP just to flex that you were right about Duke (who is as marginal a wideout as you can get.) there goes that sliver of respect i had for you.

I’ll meet you in Canton for Joshie’s induction. Gonna get that first MVP this year!

Whew I hope Transplant  isn’t crushed by this??? SMH.... Thank goodness nobody cares if you respect them or not.

7 hours ago, Dopey said:

Wow! Comparing the 2 by saying Duke is a rookie is a stretch. You're talking about a "rookie" who'll be 27 yrs old before the next season starts. Think about that for a second. If he hasn't reached his potential yet...

If you watched the playoff game, you could clearly see Duke got no separation, all game long. That's why his catches are contested. His only easy catch was when he ran a quick slant with the db 8 yds off the los. When he was pressed, he was never open. We don't need a wr who catches SOME contested passes cuz he can't get open. We can and should do better. 

Jim Kelly played how many years in the USFL before he came here? It took him a couple years before he was the great Qb he became. Duke didn’t get enough playing time this year to grow, if he works hard this off season he may have a chance to play next year depending on what offseason moves we make. The whole he can’t get open is BS you don’t get 10 looks in a play off game if your never open so we can stop that exaggeration right now...

6 minutes ago, Codyny13 said:

Wow a Duke thread. Great. I love it. New. Exciting.

Can we make them all about Duke so there is no need to have posters say "Yet another Duke thread.".  

Reminds me what other teams fans were saying when Bills returned for 3rd and 4th Superbowl.

1 hour ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Jim Kelly played how many years in the USFL before he came here? It took him a couple years before he was the great Qb he became. Duke didn’t get enough playing time this year to grow, if he works hard this off season he may have a chance to play next year depending on what offseason moves we make. The whole he can’t get open is BS you don’t get 10 looks in a play off game if your never open so we can stop that exaggeration right now...

He wasn't getting open. No exaggeration. Only 1 catch wasn't a contested catch.

2 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Somebody needs a hug.

Yep, the person who started this thread.

On 1/11/2020 at 8:09 AM, fansince88 said:

Yes, but Zay Jones netted us a 5th round pick in 2021. So he will be helping us in 2 years. As much as I like Duke Im not sure if he affects the team positivin 2021. 

Also, Duuuuuuuuke sounds cooler then Zaaaaaay. 

Seriously???  Jones cost the Bills a second round pick plus the other pick(s) they used to move up to draft him in 2017, so crowing about getting a Day 3 pick in the 2021 draft for him is like bragging about winning $100 in the lottery ... while ignoring that you spent $2000 buying tickets. 

3 hours ago, SoTier said:

Seriously???  Jones cost the Bills a second round pick plus the other pick(s) they used to move up to draft him in 2017, so crowing about getting a Day 3 pick in the 2021 draft for him is like bragging about winning $100 in the lottery ... while ignoring that you spent $2000 buying tickets. 

Seriously? You need to turn on your sarcasm sensor....

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SoTier said:

You need to chill. That and a new digital sarcasm meter would work great for ya!

On 1/11/2020 at 8:56 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, since you're bringing up your own old thread, can we acknowledge that your quoted post asserts that Duke Williams would not clear waivers. 

Not only did he clear waivers, he spent 4 weeks on the practice squad.  *crickets*

no worries. i have saved everyone on this site from transplants predictions for a period of 1 year.

your welcome. :D

• Haha (+1) 1

On 1/11/2020 at 6:52 PM, Meatloaf63 said:

I can admit I was wrong on Zay, but nothing I saw during the year makes me think I was wrong on Duke. Only game he had that was even decent was the week 17 preseason game. Besides that he played in 3 games in October that netted 6 catches and games of 29, 23 & 6 yards(In that order).

To be fair, 2 of those 10 looks were purposely overthrown passes at the end of the half to take a few seconds of the clock. He didn't look "open" on most of the other 8 looks and dropped contested passes that were the exact reason he was in there in the first place.

16 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

I can admit I was wrong on Zay, but nothing I saw during the year makes me think I was wrong on Duke. Only game he had that was even decent was the week 17 preseason game. Besides that he played in 3 games in October that netted 6 catches and games of 29, 23 & 6 yards(In that order).

To be fair, 2 of those 10 looks were purposely overthrown passes at the end of the half to take a few seconds of the clock. He didn't look "open" on most of the other 8 looks and dropped contested passes that were the exact reason he was in there in the first place.

We’ll see if he gets a chance next year. He definitely needs to work hard this off season, maybe he has figured that out. He very well may not be good enough to make the team again. If so, that would be a good thing I would think as it would hopefully mean we upgraded the the receivers we had.

Just now, Meatloaf63 said:

We’ll see if he gets a chance next year. He definitely needs to work hard this off season, maybe he has figured that out. He very well may not be good enough to make the team again. If so, that would be a good thing I would think as it would hopefully mean we upgraded the the receivers we had.

We are somewhat weak at the TE position. He should spend the offseason learning the position and adding 25 pounds or so. The only way I see him having any real chance at having an impact as an NFL player.