Preseason 2019 debate revisited: Zay Jones vs Duke Williams

Who will have the better NFL career?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Which WR will have the better NFL career?

Remember this one?

Did anyone else just completely forget we even had Zay Jones on our team this year?

Quite a few dismissed Williams as a joke in favor of Jones, the "proven" NFL commodity.

Well, to those people, you can argue that Zay had more receptions and more yards than D'haquille did.

So here's the question: who has the better NFL career from here on out, Duke or Zay?

53 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I said I wasn't sure if Duke was the answer but I thought we had enough to know Zay probably wasn't. 

Always thought @Alphadawg7 took too much heat for that thread. 

Correct on both counts. @Alphadawg7 was right in his assessment. In three years (36 games) in Buffalo, Jones caught 90 passes on 194 targets (46%) for 1037 yards, 9 TDs, and 11.5 Y/R.  This year, before he left, he caught 39% of the passes in which he was targeted. By contrast, Brown and Beasley both caught 63% of the passes in which they were targeted.

There was enough to see he wasn't working out in Buffalo. I like Jones and I hope he does well in his career. In 10 games with the Raiders, he caught 20 passes on 27 Targets (74%) for 147 yards, 0 TDs, and 7.4 Y/R. His catch % was better; however, he played in a much more pass efficient (re completion %) offense and, on average, ran much shorter routes. 

Williams only played in four games during the regular season this year. He caught 12 passes on 19 targets (63%) for 166 yards, 1 TD, and 13.8 Y/R. He's physical, with good hands, and (the endzone pass we all debated this past week not withstanding) can make difficult/contested catches. I hope he is on this team next year. I believe there were glimpses this year of what he can do. I think he could play an important role, particularly if the Bills can somehow find a big, #1 receiver to play opposite Brown. I actually think Williams could be really productive out of the slot and in 4WR sets in that situation.

I don't know which one will have a better career. I wish Jones well; however, I only care about what kind of career Williams has, as long as he is a Buffalo Bill.

Edited by billsfan1959

Didn’t vote, but I appreciate the opportunity to once again SLAM everyone who thought they were so righteous to rag on @Alphadawg7 for his thread about the East Carolina Conundrum. One of our darker pages in history..

He. Was. Right.

to the OP, one is a basket case, the other a non-starting, 7 year WR journeyman. It still a tie.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I would say, Duke has a better future than Jones. Jones is what he is, an acceptable #5 receiver who can do the easy stuff and is a decent blocker, but don't expect anything big. Duke is bigger, stronger, maybe slower, but has better hands and physicality. His blocking is equal, but he will make tough catches Jones can't. He brings more to a team going forward.

If I'm a GM, I take Duke over Zay.

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Didn’t vote, but I appreciate the opportunity to once again SLAM everyone who thought they were so righteous to rag on @Alphadawg7 for his thread about the East Carolina Conundrum. One of our darker pages in history..

He. Was. Right.

to the OP, one is a basket case, the other a non-starting, 7 year WR journeyman. It still a tie.

You are being much too kind.  It's a tie of borderline NFL caliber WRs, neither one of whom is good enough to be the third or fourth WR on a team with serious playoff prospects.  Not having better WRs than Jones or Williams to use with Beasley and Brown is a significant reason for the Bills being one and done in the playoffs this year.

• Like (+1) 2

I’m thinking ya can tell the zay supporters in this thread.... ?

5 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Remember this one?

Did anyone else just completely forget we even had Zay Jones on our team this year?

Quite a few dismissed Williams as a joke in favor of Jones, the "proven" NFL commodity.

Well, to those people, you can argue that Zay had more receptions and more yards than D'haquille did.

So here's the question: who has the better NFL career from here on out, Duke or Zay?

another LAMP just to flex that you were right about Duke (who is as marginal a wideout as you can get.) there goes that sliver of respect i had for you.

I’ll meet you in Canton for Joshie’s induction. Gonna get that first MVP this year!

6 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Remember this one?

Well, since you're bringing up your own old thread, can we acknowledge that your quoted post asserts that Duke Williams would not clear waivers. 

Not only did he clear waivers, he spent 4 weeks on the practice squad.  *crickets*

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

I love our coaching staff but was puzzled and disappointed in their early decision to go with Jones and give him so many snaps. The only NFL WR level quality he has is his blocking. He cannot separate, average to below average hands, unable to make the tough/contested catch. His absolute worst quality was coming up very small in big situations. Starting with his drop of a winning TD pass in rookie year, to his last game v Pats where he did not go for the ball. Many interpreted the latter as lack of hustle; it was not. It was a big moment in a big game and he did NOT WANT the ball. Zay has reached his ceiling, and it isn’t very high. Duke I believe has much more potential, let’s see what the coming year brings. Duke a rookie this year, Jones was in year 3. Big difference when comparing 

1 hour ago, fansince88 said:

Yes, but Zay Jones netted us a 5th round pick in 2021. So he will be helping us in 2 years. As much as I like Duke Im not sure if he affects the team positivin 2021. 

Also, Duuuuuuuuke sounds cooler then Zaaaaaay. 

As a second round pick, Zay was a wiff........

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WIDE LEFT said:

I love our coaching staff but was puzzled and disappointed in their early decision to go with Jones and give him so many snaps. The only NFL WR level quality he has is his blocking. He cannot separate, average to below average hands, unable to make the tough/contested catch. His absolute worst quality was coming up very small in big situations. Starting with his drop of a winning TD pass in rookie year, to his last game v Pats where he did not go for the ball. Many interpreted the latter as lack of hustle; it was not. It was a big moment in a big game and he did NOT WANT the ball. Zay has reached his ceiling, and it isn’t very high. Duke I believe has much more potential, let’s see what the coming year brings. Duke a rookie this year, Jones was in year 3. Big difference when comparing 

Wow! Comparing the 2 by saying Duke is a rookie is a stretch. You're talking about a "rookie" who'll be 27 yrs old before the next season starts. Think about that for a second. If he hasn't reached his potential yet...

If you watched the playoff game, you could clearly see Duke got no separation, all game long. That's why his catches are contested. His only easy catch was when he ran a quick slant with the db 8 yds off the los. When he was pressed, he was never open. We don't need a wr who catches SOME contested passes cuz he can't get open. We can and should do better. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2