Hyde and Poyer - Disappointing stats.

Some of this may be based on recency bias -- that is, neither of them (especially Poyer) played especially well during the later part of the Houston game. Of course, the defense as a whole had numerous melt-downs.

That aside, during the course of the regular season, I felt like that Poyer-Hyde tandem was one one the best in the league.

• Like (+1) 1

Our safety duo is a strength of this defense.  Hyde in particular is a top shelf safety.  Poyer is good, but not on his level.  Are they the top duo in the NFL?  No, but they’re well beyond good enough.  My only real concerns with the position is depth/injury and that Poyer will hold out this year for a contract well above his actual value. 

I said in my year in review that I thought both had down years by their standards. BUT they still played well in a top 5 defense. Additionally with the defense now rounding into what McD wants I do not think they have gotten the same amount of opportunities as they had in the previous two years. Additionally I do not think teams are as aggressive deep because of their play making skills. In 2017-18 teams basically tested what they could do against them and regularly got burned. By now your better off staying short then pushing it on them. Judging a player on stats alone is dangerous in the NFL given how misleading certain things can be. Between Hyde Poyer and White they shut down a majority of the field to the point offenses only have the CB2 to really target.

I do think Poyer could be gone after this year or possibly cut if they draft a safety for less money as he has outplayed his contract but you can find safeties on the cheap. Hyde's coverage skills really though are top notch. His pick on Brady against NE showed as much and even BB was impressed.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/10/2020 at 11:27 PM, Happy Days said:

They only combined for 5 pass breakups and 3 ints. Those are pretty disappointing numbers this season. 

The only team that had as few of pass breakups from their safeties in the AFC as The Bills was The Colts. Did not look up the NFC

This is the danger of looking at one particular stat and drawing conclusions from it.  The Bills led the league in fewest "big passing plays" for the third straight year.  That is directly attributable to the play of their safeties.

• Like (+1) 1

Poyer had a few bad plays that cost us big this year but he's worth more than he's making. Hopefully they pay him what he deserves which is about double what he's making. 

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

The Bills rank #1 in the NFL 3 years running for allowing the fewest 40+ yard passes...pretty obvious they are doing their job well.

I know of 1 Poyer allowed this season in the Baltimore game.

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Poyer had a few bad plays that cost us big this year but he's worth more than he's making. Hopefully they pay him what he deserves which is about double what he's making. 

I know of 1 Poyer allowed this season in the Baltimore game.

And your point is?  Teams are going to get a few of them no matter how good you are...I think it says volumes they have allowed the fewest number of them for 3 years running

On 1/10/2020 at 11:27 PM, Happy Days said:

They only combined for 5 pass breakups and 3 ints. Those are pretty disappointing numbers this season. 

The only team that had as few of pass breakups from their safeties in the AFC as The Bills was The Colts. Did not look up the NFC

Why do you leave out the other splash plays like the 5FF and 4FR and 2 sacks?

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/11/2020 at 6:21 AM, Lurker said:

Not the way this defense is structured, which is to keep everything in front of them.   They don't break up passes because very few deep balls are even attempted against them.    

Next topic...

That also makes them look better then they are really.... 

Just saying, I'd keep hyde but don't know about poyer.

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

And your point is?  Teams are going to get a few of them no matter how good you are...I think it says volumes they have allowed the fewest number of them for 3 years running

I do think the coaching staff puts our DB's in perfect position to succeed so they might be slightly overrated. That said they are one of the most successful groups in the NFL and we should keep them together for as long as they keep having success.