Hyde and Poyer - Disappointing stats.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Maalox?  Permit me to offer, mon vieux

But as others have said, there's a reason that Poyer and Hyde are regarded as one of the best safety tandems in the league.  They have an important role in McD's defense and they fill it well.  It's like leading the league in tackles for a safety, which has happened on the Bills at times - it would be a sign that the rest of the D isn't doing THEIR job

and I am well aware of that fact and you said it much more politely than i did thank you Hap. 

There are actual deficiencies on this team that COULD be talked about but this particular thread decided to make one up instead.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

I have been on record saying Poyer was pretty bad this year. Blown assignments and sloppy tackling were at the top of my assessment.

If you ever have the opportunity, see the one-man play by former NFL safety Bo Eason, "Runt of the Litter".  It's funny and emotionally moving if you're not a football fan.  If you're a football fan, it's AMAZEBALLS.  One if his themes is that "safety" is a misnamed position, it's anything but safe.  It's the safety's job to protect the team from everyone ELSE'S mistakes.

Your record is mistaken.  I can count the outright mistakes from Poyer this season without removing my left glove.

Sloppy tackling, let's just say I hope the entire Bills D is striving to up their tackle game this off season because fo'shizzle there is room to improve (I'm talking 'bout you Matt Milano)

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If you ever have the opportunity, see the one-man play by former NFL safety Bo Eason, "Runt of the Litter".  It's funny and emotionally moving if you're not a football fan.  If you're a football fan, it's AMAZEBALLS.  One if his themes is that "safety" is a misnamed position, it's anything but safe.  It's the safety's job to protect the team from everyone ELSE'S mistakes.

Your record is mistaken.  I can count the outright mistakes from Poyer this season without removing my left glove.

Sloppy tackling, let's just say I hope the entire Bills D is striving to up their tackle game this off season because fo'shizzle there is room to improve (I'm talking 'bout you Matt Milano)

Agree totally with this. 

21 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I will definitely check that out! Thank you. Respectfully disagree on Poyer- there was times he left me shaking my head. Maybe it is because his 17 and 18 season were at such a high level that the little slips were amplified. Anyways, we all have our fun opinions and takes my friend. Go Bills

Edited by billsfan_34

10 hours ago, GreggTX said:

We have perhaps the best safety tandem in the NFL. Period.

We had.  

They both regressed this year as I said in another thread.  In our losses to the Pat's and houston at end of season...rewatch the game.  Poyer and hyde both missed huge tackles that cost us points. Their tackling has been suspect this year and they were part of the early run defensive issues. 

36 minutes ago, Needle said:

Hyde is a stud and Poyer is very good. I think Poyer had a few glaring missed tackles against Houston and that has made a lasting impression on some. His season as a whole was solid.

Hyde had the biggest missed tackle of the game. 

4 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

They never miss a play on the NFL’s 2nd ranked Pass Defense, 2 years running. Opponents aren’t attacking deep very often. Hard to get your hands on the ball when it isn’t coming your way. 

-and S’up with name only thread title? You’ve been around here since Christ was a carpenter apprentice. If you’d have provided a jist of the content, I wouldn’t have clicked. Well, I would have, cuz I’m supposed to. But others deserve the opportunity to not waste their time reading personal perspectives on certain players.

’Hyde & Poyer Suck!’ ‘Hyde & Poyer Swap Wives!’ ‘Hyde & Poyer don’t get many opportunities to garner stats’ ‘Hyde & Poyer Go bowling’

Give readers the opportunity to click or pass. 

I'm gonna disagree with this part for Poyer.  He is late to plays a lot. 2 TDs by Texans come to mind.  Couldn't tackle Watson who wore Poyer on his back like a cape for at least 10 yards and into the EZ.

As far as good safety duos, not sure they are better than Denver's, Ravens or Jets.

16 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

We had.  

They both regressed this year as I said in another thread.  In our losses to the Pat's and houston at end of season...rewatch the game.  Poyer and hyde both missed huge tackles that cost us points. Their tackling has been suspect this year and they were part of the early run defensive issues. 

Hyde had the biggest missed tackle of the game. 

Plenty of missed tackles to go around. I'm sure every Bills fan has one that sticks out in their mind. 

The missed tackle that bothered me the most was the 3rd and 18 that they gave up. It was after Neal got the sack on Watson and momentum was shifting back to the Bills. In my opinion that was a ridiculously routine play to get on a simple dump off. The Bills had Edmunds and Neal in position to make the tackle and they let the ball carrier (Duke Johnson I think) blast through for the first down.

As others have pointed out in this thread. The safeties are at worst a very good combo. I don't see how anyone objectively finds too much fault with the secondary.

1 hour ago, billsfan_34 said:

I will definitely check that out! Thank you. Respectfully disagree on Poyer- there was times he left me shaking my head. Maybe it is because his 17 and 18 season were at such a high level that the little slips were amplified. Anyways, we all have our fun opinions and takes my friend. Go Bills

Poyer was a bit lackluster  Feel like his name got called good portion of missed tackles and breakdowns.  I agree their stats would look better if teams were attacking downfield which is not where they hurt the Bills this season.  Or if we were more of a attacking defense vs the bend dont break approach.  Tackling in general was sloppy and more so the second part of the year.  When you play a lot of zone and allow short catches you have to limit the yardage after the reception with a quick clean tackle  I though the Bills were a bit suspect there (this is not directly aimed at Poyer/Hyde)  Checkdowns seemed to be a Kryptonite this season

We had somewhat pedestrian takeaway numbers this season as a team. That's actually a positive going into next season. It'll be hard to repeat as the #2 PPG defense at 16ppg but there is a decent chance our defense can at least match there takeaways or create even more takeaways next season. 

In Trubitzky's break out season last year Chicago lead the league by a wide margin in takeaways with 36. For comparison this year the Bills were tied for 10th place with five other teams with 23 takeaways. The Bears takeaways in 2018 were not sustainable and they dropped all the way down to 19, the bottom third of the league in that category. 

Bills are at a far lesser risk to see a huge drop in takeaway's stunt the team and Allen's success in 2020.

On the flips side, teams like Pittsburgh and New England who led the league in takeaways at 38 and 36 respectively will find it difficult to even come close to those takeaway totals in 2020. Which could lead to one or two more regular season losses in the coming season.