Hyde and Poyer - Disappointing stats.

I would tally it up to the not enough pressure and quarterbacks having more time to make the right read. Most of the pass game against us is underneath and everyone swarms. Not a lot of over the top stuff to give them plays on the ball. I don’t worry about those guys too much. They’re actually so good I forget they’re on the team sometimes unless I see a missed tackle. 

• Like (+1) 4

They never miss a play on the NFL’s 2nd ranked Pass Defense, 2 years running. Opponents aren’t attacking deep very often. Hard to get your hands on the ball when it isn’t coming your way. 

-and S’up with name only thread title? You’ve been around here since Christ was a carpenter apprentice. If you’d have provided a jist of the content, I wouldn’t have clicked. Well, I would have, cuz I’m supposed to. But others deserve the opportunity to not waste their time reading personal perspectives on certain players.

’Hyde & Poyer Suck!’ ‘Hyde & Poyer Swap Wives!’ ‘Hyde & Poyer don’t get many opportunities to garner stats’ ‘Hyde & Poyer Go bowling’

Give readers the opportunity to click or pass. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GreggTX said:

We have perhaps the best safety tandem in the NFL. Period.

I remember Donte Witner getting only 2 pass breakups in multiple seasons. He was always late to the play which always frustrated me. A good starting safety should have more pass breakups than that. Poyer had 3, Hyde had 2 pass break ups.perhaps it was a down year, but I expect better than that from what some consider the best safety tandem in the league. 

Edited by Happy Days
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Happy Days said:

I remember Donte Witner getting only 2 pass breakups in multiple seasons. He was always late to the play which always frustrated me. A good starting safety should have more pass breakups than that. Poyer had 3, Hyde had 2 pass break ups.perhaps it was a down year, but I expect better than that from what some consider the best safety tandem in the league. 

This isn't THE @HappyDays. Accept no imitation.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Happy Days said:

They only combined for 5 pass breakups and 3 ints. Those are pretty disappointing numbers this season. 

2 stats and warping it into a whole season of “disappointment” 

find a new hobby bro.

btw: you have no idea, not even a basic one, of what safeties are asked to do in this defense. Honestly? You make me sick.

Edited by JoPoy88
  • Haha (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Happy Days said:

They only combined for 5 pass breakups and 3 ints. Those are pretty disappointing numbers this season. 

Not saying I’m necessarily disappointed, but if you look at their pbu and int totals from 2017, vs 2019.... drastic drop off for both. Not sure of offenses change how and where they attack, scheme change or what. 

They back end of the defense did their job most of the year, stats notwithstanding.

Poyer was noticeable in a bad way on most every Houston end zone play except the 2 pt slant to Hopkins. 

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

They never miss a play on the NFL’s 2nd ranked Pass Defense, 2 years running. Opponents aren’t attacking deep very often. Hard to get your hands on the ball when it isn’t coming your way. 

-and S’up with name only thread title? You’ve been around here since Christ was a carpenter apprentice. If you’d have provided a jist of the content, I wouldn’t have clicked. Well, I would have, cuz I’m supposed to. But others deserve the opportunity to not waste their time reading personal perspectives on certain players.

’Hyde & Poyer Suck!’ ‘Hyde & Poyer Swap Wives!’ ‘Hyde & Poyer don’t get many opportunities to garner stats’ ‘Hyde & Poyer Go bowling’

Different poster. Not @HappyDays.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I think the Bills led the league in plays allowed over 30 yards. Before the Houston game they had quite a streak going. I can’t remember exactly how long it was but the stat was floating around playoff week.

The safeties are a big part of that. I hope both guys are around long term. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

I think the Bills led the league in plays allowed over 30 yards. Before the Houston game they had quite a streak going. I can’t remember exactly how long it was but the stat was floating around playoff week.

The safeties are a big part of that. I hope both guys are around long term. 

more facts. please stop.

2 hours ago, Happy Days said:

Teams have stopped throwing in the deep middle against the Bills for the most part. 

I am not sure about the best safety tandem in the league tags... I think best safety tandem in pass defense is probably more accurate. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Teams have stopped throwing in the deep middle against the Bills for the most part. 

I am not sure about the best safety tandem in the league tags... I think best safety tandem in pass defense is probably more accurate. 

i agree. What a horrible place to be. Personally ima need about 15 int’s from my safeties every year or else dump ‘em.

• Haha (+1) 3

9 hours ago, Happy Days said:

I have been on record saying Poyer was pretty bad this year. Blown assignments and sloppy tackling were at the top of my assessment.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

2 stats and warping it into a whole season of “disappointment” 

find a new hobby bro.

btw: you have no idea, not even a basic one, of what safeties are asked to do in this defense. Honestly? You make me sick.

Maalox?  Permit me to offer, mon vieux

But as others have said, there's a reason that Poyer and Hyde are regarded as one of the best safety tandems in the league.  They have an important role in McD's defense and they fill it well.  Racking up INTs and PBU in McD's D would be like leading the league in tackles for a safety, which has happened on different Bills teams at times - it would be a sign that the rest of the D isn't doing THEIR job

• Like (+1) 1