OT: RIP Neil Peart

WhoTom

On 1/22/2022 at 1:28 PM, BuffaloBill said:

Just watched “Beyond the Lighted Stage” on Netflix.  It’s hard to fathom a random gathering of three guys who could be so talented and remain working together for so long.  These guys just left a mark on the rock world that will never be duplicated.  

I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that they were more or less normal Canadian boys despite all the fame and money.  They remained "normal" and level headed and got a lot of longevity out of that.

Reminds me of the guys in U2, I think most of whom don't drink alcohol and are very stable people.  Which explains why they've been around forever as well.

Sting is another guy in that mold, and he's been around forever as well.  

Other "artists" are a little unstable and burn out fast.

Just watched “Beyond the Lighted Stage” on Netflix.  It’s hard to fathom a random gathering of three guys who could be so talented and remain working together for so long.  These guys just left a mark on the rock world that will never be duplicated.  

Yep, just like nobody will make a mark on the VCR world again like Sony did when they introduced that first commercial model. ;)

The rock world has been dead for a long time already............things stopped getting duplicated in that genre decades ago.

It had a very brief run but my kid's generation will look at it like I looked at Bing Crosby and Danny F'in Kay........nostalgic entertainment kitsch.

On 1/25/2022 at 8:37 PM, Nextmanup said:

I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that they were more or less normal Canadian boys despite all the fame and money.  They remained "normal" and level headed and got a lot of longevity out of that.

Reminds me of the guys in U2, I think most of whom don't drink alcohol and are very stable people.  Which explains why they've been around forever as well.

Sting is another guy in that mold, and he's been around forever as well.  

Other "artists" are a little unstable and burn out fast.

If you haven't already also check out "Time Stand Still" a documentary about their final tour in 2015.

Here's the full documentary...

Edited by BillsFanNC

• 2 weeks later...

Well better late than never.  40th anniversary version of MP is being released during its 41st anniversary year.  Best part of this package for me is the first ever soundboard / professionally recorded version of an complete MP tour show.  I have some great audience recordings from that tour, notably '81 Anaheim and '81 Chicago that come close at times to professional quality but I'm still looking forward to this one.  2022 is also the 40th anniversary of the Signals album release and it will be interesting to see if there is an on time release for that or if it gets pushed back as well.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, WhoTom said:

Check out this young lady on the song that Neil said was the most difficult song for him to play:

I was just watching this earlier.  More than anything you can tell she is having an absolute blast playing TS.  Alex Lifeson even had to respond and give his seal of approval.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

• 1 month later...

From Alex Lifeson's new solo project Envy Of None.  The closing track instrumental is written for Neil.

https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/music/2022/03/15/alex-lifeson-pens-song-to-honour-late-rush-drummer-neil-peart.html

Lifeson says he began writing the tranquil composition as he sat with Peart on his balcony and watched a golden sunset mark the end of a day.

He hoped the track would be a way to honour his friend “without being too maudlin about it.”

“Western Sunsets” closes the self-titled debut of Envy of None, a new band featuring Lifeson. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• 8 months later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.