OT: RIP Neil Peart

WhoTom

1 hour ago, BillsFanNC said:

Amazing tribute to Neil by a US Army band. Getting dusty in here.

Absolutely beautiful.  I saw it posted on FB yesterday and didn't watch/listen.  I'm glad I took the opportunity to do so today.

Such an appropriate song for them to cover and they did a hell of a job.  Fantastic.  Thanks for sharing.

28 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Absolutely beautiful.  I saw it posted on FB yesterday and didn't watch/listen.  I'm glad I took the opportunity to do so today.

Such an appropriate song for them to cover and they did a hell of a job.  Fantastic.  Thanks for sharing.

You're welcome. I had seen it posted on FB and didn't watch initially either. It was only when I saw Rush's official FB account share it that I watched. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

the Fly By Night black and white photo sessions and 45 cover included this, well etched in memory...

an iconic session for Canadian kids in the 1970s, not quite as important as John Kelly's Beatles shots though.

Image result for rush album fly by night mercury

image.jpeg.60237a7d2c65310662240beb54a95035.jpeg

Edited by row_33

• 3 months later...

New video for the 40th anniversary of Permanent Waves, of course the lyrics were penned by Neil and inspired by CFNY 102.1 out of Toronto.  Done as a tribute to Neil and IMO it captures the feeling and experience of listening to the radio during those long gone days.

RIP Professor.

• Like (+1) 2

On 6/13/2020 at 12:17 PM, BillsFanNC said:

New video for the 40th anniversary of Permanent Waves, of course the lyrics were penned by Neil and inspired by CFNY 102.1 out of Toronto.  Done as a tribute to Neil and IMO it captures the feeling and experience of listening to the radio during those long gone days.

RIP Professor.

Ha!  Neil in a Red Barchetta.  Nice touch.  

On 6/13/2020 at 12:17 PM, BillsFanNC said:

RIP Professor.

This is awesome!

Rush will never get the recognition it deserves. And neither will Neil. I'd pay good money to get into a time machine to go hang out with him on the open road, where he loved it most. Absolute genius. 

9 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

This is awesome!

Rush will never get the recognition it deserves. And neither will Neil. I'd pay good money to get into a time machine to go hang out with him on the open road, where he loved it most. Absolute genius. 

The liner notes for the 40th anniversary are a great read...but quite long.  Here's a little bit that I found interesting.

"Well, (band manager) Ray Danniels called me one day. He told me, 'We've got a new song called 'The Spirit Of Radio' that was inspired by your station. But, we know if we identify CFNY as the source of the inspiration of the song, well...no other station will play it! So, we can't put the call letters on the album.' I wasn't going to argue with Ray. Ray and I knew each other very well by that point. So, all of us at CFNY decided we would not play heavy into the 'Spirit Of Radio' thing, because then other stations wouldn't play it. So, we backed away from publicizing ourselves and our affiliation with that song out of respect for Ray, and out of respect for the band. Although, if you look carefully on the vinyl album, close to the album's sticker label, the numbers '1021' are etched onto the groove. Ya' know, '102.1,' where CFNY was located on the dial. So, in a way, CFNY is directly identified."

link to full liner notes:

https://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/albums-permanentwaves-40th.php

I didn't give them their proper respect until several years after they emerged.  Now i think they are one of the most talented acts that we've seen in rock and roll history

53 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

This is awesome!

• Like (+1) 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.