OT: RIP Neil Peart

WhoTom

1 hour ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

It's up for a vote.  This week is the 40th anniversary of the release of Permanent Waves so it's a song from that album.  Right now it's looking like Jacob's Ladder has the lead with Entre Nous a darkhorse candidate

I will choose Free Will.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

It's up for a vote.  This week is the 40th anniversary of the release of Permanent Waves so it's a song from that album.  Right now it's looking like Jacob's Ladder has the lead with Entre Nous a darkhorse candidate

I vote "Entre Nous," does fandom make my vote count more?

wber.thumb.jpg.641a5e484bea80d410657cf64a69fc43.jpg

That this song couldn't crack the US Top-100 while "The Spirit Of Radio" did was ironic as hell. It was a brilliant single.

I've read most, if not all, of the NP tributes and obituaries being written over the past week since the news broke.  The piece in the Buffalo News was among the best in my opinion, but the one I keep going back to as my favorite is about a random encounter the author had with Neil years ago at a diner in the mountains of West Virginia.

https://www.inc.com/jeff-haden/neil-peart-was-an-exceptional-drummer-but-his-legacy-could-be-summed-up-in-4-words.html?cid=search

"Can I give you some advice?" he asked.

"Sure," I said.

"Never follow anyone," he said. "Be your own hero."

Edited by BillsFanNC
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Rico said:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/rush/1981/market-square-arena-indianapolis-in-4bd1eba2.html

My one and only Rush show. I remember it being really good, but I was a little disappointed I didn’t get Bastille Day.

RIP Neil. 

My two: 

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/rush/1987/rpi-fieldhouse-troy-ny-53d18b71.html

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/rush/2015/centre-bell-montreal-qc-canada-5bc90750.html

The 1987 show was good, not great.  Hold Your Fire is arguably their worst album, ever.  And they didn't open with Spirit of Radio.  Talk about a collective WTF moment!  Admittedly, "Signals," was probably the last of their albums that I really liked; much bigger fan of their early work.

The 2015 show was RIDICULOUSLY AWESOME.  Incredible set list and a huge treat in Jacob's Ladder, which was not a common live tune for them.

14 minutes ago, Gugny said:

My two: 

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/rush/1987/rpi-fieldhouse-troy-ny-53d18b71.html

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/rush/2015/centre-bell-montreal-qc-canada-5bc90750.html

The 1987 show was good, not great.  Hold Your Fire is arguably their worst album, ever.  And they didn't open with Spirit of Radio.  Talk about a collective WTF moment!  Admittedly, "Signals," was probably the last of their albums that I really liked; much bigger fan of their early work.

The 2015 show was RIDICULOUSLY AWESOME.  Incredible set list and a huge treat in Jacob's Ladder, which was not a common live tune for them.

pretty much the same here. big fan of the early stuff. after the move to incorporate more of the synthesizer , not so much.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Foxx said:

pretty much the same here. big fan of the early stuff. after the move to incorporate more of the synthesizer , not so much.

Me too. I also preferred them back when Geddy’s vocals would really wail, but (like Plant) I don’t think there’s any way he could’ve kept it up.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rico said:

Me too. I also preferred them back when Geddy’s vocals would really wail, but (like Plant) I don’t think there’s any way he could’ve kept it up.

I remember reading somewhere that after 2112, Geddy's doctor told him to stop singing like a banshee or he'd ruin his voice.

• Like (+1) 2

I've been listening to a lot of Rush bootlegs over the past few days that I've accumulated over the years on CD, many of them like this one that I've never listened to before.  It's an interesting show from 1980 where they play early versions of Limelight and Tom Sawyer.....there are many classic Rush bootlegs available on YouTube if you don't mind a lossy version.  For both songs the arrangements aren't down yet to what we all know from the studio versions, for Limelight the classic guitar solo in that song is nothing like what is heard here, and many of the lyrics for Tom Sawyer are different.  It's cued up for Limelight, then you can jump ahead to 55:33 to hear the early version of Tom Sawyer.  Or you can just listen to the whole show, it's a pretty darn good recording for the time.

• Like (+1) 2

Is it bad to talk cover bands at this point? I mean, someone needs to carry the Rush banner. I kinda liked Blame Canada; the drummer Vince Tricarico and guitar player Andy Rabin merged into Sun Dogs with Mark Schenker, formerly of the band Kix, to form a true 3 piece playing Rush music... they are musically pretty strong IMO.

Catch em if they come to your Subdivision

Edited by Ralonzo

12 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

Is it bad to talk cover bands at this point? I mean, someone needs to carry the Rush banner. I kinda liked Blame Canada; the drummer Vince Tricarico and guitar player Andy Rabin merged into Sun Dogs with Mark Schenker, formerly of the band Kix, to form a true 3 piece playing Rush music... they are musically pretty strong IMO.

Catch em if they come to your Subdivision

This band was just brought to my attention - YYNOT.  They also do some Rush-inspired originals.  To me the singer sounds like Hayley Williams from Paramore.

Got a show in Buffalo at Ironworks March 27th.

• Like (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.