OT: RIP Neil Peart

WhoTom

If you are from Western New York, and you like to rock, there's little doubt you have air-drummed 'Tom Sawyer' in your car on the way home from a long day at work. Legendary Rush drummer Neil Peart, considered by many the GOAT, passed away this week at age 67, after a 3 year battle with brain cancer. 

Post your Rush-related memories and tributes here!

5 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

In no particular order my top 5 drummers"

Neil Peart

Carter Beauford

Danny Carey 

John Bonham

Dave Lombardo 

No Bill Bruford?

4 hours ago, row_33 said:

Moving Pictures was released when i was the perfect age of 14 to enjoy it

wish music today meant 10% of what it did back then

There's lots of good music out there. Just have to be open to it, and let it be it's own thing.

I lost track of Rush, but 2112 was part of my formative experience as a music fan.  It's hard to forget the 1st time I heard it - it stood out from everything else, completely.

Recently, I saw a doc on them, and they were talking about the making of that record.  It was really a "last shot" kind of record w/ their label - they weren't catching fire, and it was a final chance.  Their manager kept promising that it would be an accessible record with "hits," and instead, they went into the studio & stayed true to their own vision, even though they knew it wasn't commercial.  That takes incredible courage artistically.

And, of course, the rest is history. The built their own niche in that world, and an incredibly loyal following. Goes without saying that Peart was a legend.  He influenced so many.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.