OT: RIP Neil Peart

WhoTom

I remember listening to Rush growing up (couldn't escape them if you listened to Canadian rock radio - Q107, anyone?) and hearing for the first time that drums were't just an instrument to keep the time/beat of the song and provide a backbone to it. Neil Pert play an instrument that defined the song, just like the bass and the guitar - it was really amazing to hear what he did musically with the drums to bring life to a given song. I know he inspired many - may that be his legacy..... 

Edited by The Avenger

46 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Brought my son to see them in Montreal during the R:40 tour (their last).  My son is a guitarist and bassist; I told him I wanted him to see two of the best while it was still possible.  So glad we did.  It was a great show.

I took my son to see them on the Clockwork Angels tour in 2013. Although they mostly played material from the mid-80s and later - which is around the time I stopped paying attention to them - we still enjoyed the show. The 2112 Overture/Temples of Syrinx combo made a great encore. My son (around 18 at the time) said, "The encore by itself was worth the price of the ticket." Easy for him to say - I bought the tickets! 

• Like (+1) 1

what kid growing up in the 70's/80's didn't air drum to a Neil Peart solo? Always a killer live show Blessed to have seem them multiple times over several decades    RIP Professor

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

question.. do you believe rock has died?

Dead or in the background.  Kids listen to Pop/Rap.  Electronic music means less kids interested in playing instruments/being in bands.  I don't listen to much produced after the 80's and my sweet spot is 1970-1976

• Like (+1) 1

I was lucky enough to see Rush live several times...Neil was worth the price of admission just by himself......this news has affected me more than I would have thought.....Seemed to be a fantastic person as well....sad day .....sad news all around.......

Peart , rightfully so, got a lot of credit for his playing skills...but his lyrics were also off the charts.....

Edited by Iron Maiden
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DuckyBoys said:

Kids listen to Pop/Rap.  Electronic music means less kids interested in playing instruments/being in bands.  I don't listen to much produced after the 80's and my sweet spot is 1970-1976

IDK.   My son's 24 and all he and his friends listen to is 60s-70s classic rock.  Some of his friends are in multiple bands and play all of the time (real instruments!).

Maybe it's a blip and doesn't mean a thing.   Maybe it's a reaction to the souless crap most record labels are producing that will spark some new revival in actual, honest to God musicianship...

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.