PFF breaks down Misleading sack numbers pending UFAs for 2020, Phillips is contract potential to be over valued

MAJBobby

I was just talking about this in the Shaq wants cash thread too then go to twitter and see this. 

DI Jordan Phillips, Buffalo Bills

The casual fan will look at Phillips’ stat line and think this was a breakout year. He had 10 sacks after recording just six in his first four seasons combined. The issue is that the sacks didn’t come as a result of Phillips winning more of his pass-rushes or showing dominant reps with quick wins. In fact, Phillips had the lowest PFF pass-rushing grade of his career this season at 60.2.

10 of his 25 total pressures resulted in sacks – an extremely high rate – and a good chunk of those sacks came with the quarterback tucking the ball and running into his waiting arms. As a player who has yet to crack an overall grade of 60.0 in a season, it would behoove teams to not spend big money on Phillips chasing his sack total. To his credit, he did leave us with this work of art against the Miami Dolphins in Week 11.

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 2

They’re right. His splash plays make fans think he’s one of the best in the league and he’s simply not.

Add to his higher than expected sacks given The number of pressures he’s also a big liability vs the run. Maybe our worst DL vs the run. 

Oliver had a much better year than Phillips even if the sack totals say otherwise.

Edited by MDH
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

PFF is dead to me frankly

Phillips is a good player and should be retained.......a rotation of the two Phillips and Ed Oliver is sick

do you retain him at 11M a year?  They are not saying he is a bad player. They are saying he has a good shot to getting a contract in UFA that is way to much

and they are spot on with that. 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He is a product of the system, and his co-workers on the D, has he taken advantage of his circumstances? Yes he has, as any decent player would.

the sum is greater than the parts at this time.

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Sorry Bobby....should have read it all.  Obviously there should be a spending limit.

I do want him back. His true value is about 7.5M a year. The issue is going to come when his agent gets to the Combine and is hearing double digit AVV. Like 10+. Some GM or coach or both is going to see double digit sacks from the interior and pay him like a top 5 DT completely over looking his big struggles against the run. 

here is to hoping Beane can get the contract done before the combine and the Tampering is going full bore. 

Just now, MAJBobby said:

I do want him back. His true value is about 7.5M a year. The issue is going to come when his agent gets to the Combine and is hearing double digit AVV. Like 10+. Some GM or coach or both is going to see double digit sacks from the interior and pay him like a top 5 DT completely over looking his big struggles against the run. 

here is to hoping Beane can get the contract done before the combine and the Tampering is going full bore. 

Yes I hear you and my dreams of moving him into Star's position with his questionable run stop plummeted.   For someone of his size he should be a much better run defender.

Amazing how our Defense was Top 5 in virtually every category, yet according to PFF almost all of our defensive players are below average.

A couple weeks ago, one of their guys was defending the ridiculously low grade on Tre White.

It was hilarious during the Pittsburgh introductions.  I don't think the Bills had one guy in the Top 30 at their position on the defensive side.

Hopefully the other teams looking for D-Line help take PFF as gospel.  It may help us retain Jordan Phillips and Shaq Lawson on some bargain deals.

3 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Amazing how our Defense was Top 5 in virtually every category, yet according to PFF almost all of our defensive players are below average.

A couple weeks ago, one of their guys was defending the ridiculously low grade on Tre White.

It was hilarious during the Pittsburgh introductions.  I don't think the Bills had one guy in the Top 30 at their position on the defensive side.

Hopefully the other teams looking for D-Line help take PFF as gospel.  It may help us retain Jordan Phillips and Shaq Lawson on some bargain deals.

bargin deals or true value deals. Is Phillips worth 11-12M a year?

i think people see PFF and think immediately trash. This is a good article and think in terms of contract value as that is what article is about 

Edited by MAJBobby

12 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

do you retain him at 11M a year?  They are not saying he is a bad player. They are saying he has a good shot to getting a contract in UFA that is way to much

and they are spot on with that. 

It will be interesting to see how the market plays out.

I was looking at a few Free Agent rankings online, and neither site had Phillips or Lawson in the Top 25 free agents at their positions.

It was pretty pathetic, but it makes me wonder if these guys are truly flying under the radar.

I mean even Sptrac sees it. 

if Phillips didn’t have some big flaws he would not have a projected market value of 6M. He would have a projected market value of 12-13M 

3 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

It will be interesting to see how the market plays out.

I was looking at a few Free Agent rankings online, and neither site had Phillips or Lawson in the Top 25 free agents at their positions.

It was pretty pathetic, but it makes me wonder if these guys are truly flying under the radar.

Phillips has some pretty big flags on him. And for that matter Shaq Does as well. I think the market will humble Shaq. Not so sure about Phillips if he gets to market I think he banks. 

Edited by MAJBobby

7 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

He is a product of the system, and his co-workers on the D, has he taken advantage of his circumstances? Yes he has, as any decent player would.

Yep.  The DE's contain the outside rush lanes and force the QB to stay in the pocket--which the DTs usually drive right back right into him.      

It reminds me a lot of this...

giphy.gif

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1