Shaq Lawson wants "that cash"

Reed83HOF

1 minute ago, starrymessenger said:

Is that necessarily so even if Murphy is not with the team in 2020 (and Star and Hughes are gone in 2021)? Replacing an underperforming pass rushing DE with a better one is a good idea IMO esp if you don't have to sacrifice other pieces that are good fits. Having said that I'm not in favour of grossly overpaying anyone. 

I think so. Eventually you will want your draft picks taking spots not UFA. And I really think Bills want Johnson growing to take over for Trent. Can only put so much cap into the rotational DL

Edited by MAJBobby

2 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

Shaq was drafted injured and did nothing his rookie year.

He got a little better playing in his second year after playing a bit.

He improved last year and improved again this year. Was it just money or is he starting to figure things out ?

Former 1st rd draft pick developing and getting better every year. The typical Fan thing to do is get rid of him cause the $$$$ they are NOT paying, even though the Bills have plenty of cap and need him.

Dareus really F'd up a lot of people heads around here. 

Edited by Real McNasty
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

If Lawson was a FA from another team, would Beane and McDermott pursue him?

I don’t know, tbh. 

There’s players like Robbie Anderson out there that their fanbase is split on retaining.  I don’t know if I want that guy.  Probably gets paid more than his true value due to being above average at a premium position.  

Seems kind of similar to our Shaq/Phillips situation (aside from those two guys not being awful off the field)

Even Chris Kelsey had a 5.5 sack year and he had 60 tackles. Sorry but overpaying this guy would be a major mistake. 7.5 per is my max or he can walk. If he signs that then I am dumping Murphy. If he doesn’t sign we keep Murphy 1 more year. We are gonna draft a DE and we have a ton of cap room to get a premier DE to replace Jerry anyway. 

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think that's the right attitude, so I am not really expecting him back.  I'm all for a player or anyone for that matter trying to get every bit they can but this isn't the way to go about it IMO.  It makes it seem like that is all he cares about.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, Locomark said:

Even Chris Kelsey had a 5.5 sack year and he had 60 tackles. Sorry but overpaying this guy would be a major mistake. 7.5 per is my max or he can walk. If he signs that then I am dumping Murphy. If he doesn’t sign we keep Murphy 1 more year. We are gonna draft a DE and we have a ton of cap room to get a premier DE to replace Jerry anyway. 

You realize that Murphy is scheduled to make just under $9M this year?    Shaq is worth that, and at the least, is worth more than Murphy.  Signing Shaq for $9M AAV and dumping Murphy sounds like the right move.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

You realize that Murphy is scheduled to make just under $9M this year?    Shaq is worth that, and at the least, is worth more than Murphy.  Signing Shaq for $9M AAV and dumping Murphy sounds like the right move.

Guarantee you Shaq's agent is telling him he's worth 15 million a year. He's not worth more than 10 million a year. Shaq is a goner. I would rather they use that money to sign Jordan Phillips anyway. 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, WildBills said:

Guarantee you Shaq's agent is telling him he's worth 15 million a year. He's not worth more than 10 million a year. Shaq is a goner. I would rather they use that money to sign Jordan Phillips anyway. 

If Shaq wants more than $10M, I agree he's gone.  Jordan Phillips is another guy who, if he overvalues himself, he's gone.  I'd like to re-sign both if possible.

• Like (+1) 3

He's a very underrated player on the rise. Sign him. Cut Murphy. Add another young DE.

2 hours ago, Locomark said:

Shaq plays less than half the snaps, kelsay seemed to never leave the field.

Shaq needs a bigger role.

5 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

Havent seen much of Yannick but I've seen a fair bit of Judon over the years. I like Judon. He sees the field a lot and the Ravens tend to  lean on him. He gets lots of tackles and 9.5 sacks is nothing to sneer at. Not clear to me though that he would'nt be more part of a rotation just based on what all McD seems to do with line players. So his totals would likely go down, including possibly even his sack total. Same could be said about Yannick who also gets lots of snaps, more than he might get here. And how much better is 9.5 or 8 sacks over 6.5 (I know 3 and 1.5 respectively). Judon is right now a better player than Shaq but probably not that much better.  Lawson is also trending up IMO and could continue to improve. He should be entering his prime.

If a good one falls to them in the draft I would expect the Bills to pull the trigger on a prospect. If so, I believe they would try to sign Shaq. 

Judon is not much better than Shaq??? Baltimore said they will franchise him if they can't reach a deal:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ravens-to-use-franchise-tag-on-matt-judon-if-a-long-term-deal-cant-be-worked-out/

Would Buffalo franchise Shaq?

Edited by egd

While the mantra around OBD is 'continuous improvement', there's also another adage called 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.

For that reason I'd like both Shaq and Phillips re-signed.

Much like the O-Line, the 'continuous improvement' can be had by keeping guys together.  Fwiw, especially as he's already indicated he wants to stay, I'd look to get Spain re-signed also.

My eyes told me that Lawson comfortably out-performed Murphy, and Murphy actually played better than the year before. The Athletic grades Lawson out over the season as the 11th best Bills player - and that is out of the whole roster. While those grades are to a degree subjective, it does confirm largely what my eyes told me, and that was that Lawson was one of the better Bills over the whole season, and on a team that performed well overall, that's saying something. He graded out well above Murphy.

I'd also say that I believe Lawson could comfortably handle more snaps, and he started getting them through the season, simply due to his superior play. Lawson has become a good solid performer, and while not elite, you will be hard pushed to replace his performance, if you let him walk.

Much will depend on what other offers he gets, tbh, but I can see him get above what Murphy gets, with no trouble at all, and tbh I'd pay him in the region of $9 million per, if pushed.

That doesn't preclude doing something else at Edge in FA, where we do need to try and bolster the pass rush outside, but it would mean that Murphy then could become unnecessary, should we get another guy. It also covers the position in case we can't get anything done, or can't find a guy in the draft.

I'm somewhat bemused by the often seen attitude around here, that guys can be replaced willy-nilly. They can't. Johnson might eventually develop into a handy pass rusher, but it won't be before another season has gone by.

I really like Phillips, his attitude etc. but sacks aside, he can disappear at times. We also have his replacement on the roster in 'Orrible Harry, as a guy who can rotate in to spell Oliver - who I think will become a beast next year (Oliver). We don't have a ready made replacement for Lawson, just inferior alternatives (on the roster). I'd still like to keep Phillips as he brings energy, and he does make plays, but I fear he will be priced out in FA.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1