Shaq Lawson wants "that cash"

Reed83HOF

11 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

I prefer Bitcoin myself.

FWIW, I think that Shaq has played his last down for the Bills. If they thought that this last year was going to make that big of a difference in their decision, they probably would have picked up his 5th year option when they had the chance rather than rolling the dice that he'd get away. Despite what Beane told him about playing hard this year and being rewarded, I honestly believe the Bills had no intention of ever re-signing him. He had  a good year but not the type of year that would make them feel as if he can't be replaced. Maybe I'm misreading the tea leaves. Time will tell.

If McB told him hard work will earn its reward? i would be surprised Sean would BS anyone about anything

Just now, 3rdand12 said:

If McB told him hard work will earn its reward? i would be surprised Sean would BS anyone about anything

I don't think anyone 'BS'd Shaq. I think they were honest with him but probably didn't really believe that he would/could do enough to 'blow their socks off'. Again, I could be wrong. I don't have any empirical evidence one way or the other, that's just my gut feeling.

14 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I definitely would not classify his season as great. I would say His best season. But in terms of other DEs in the NFL it was an avg season maybe above avg. but cannot and will not classify less than double digit sacks as great. 

Not like Hall of Fame great, but for a "run-stopper" who played about 50% of defensive snaps (compared to someone like Joey Bosa who plays 90+), he spent an awful lot of time in the backfield wrecking shop. He was arguably the best DE on a top-5 defense. Someone is going to pay him some loot. 

2 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Is Croom still following the Triple H career plan?

Stephanie!! Funny stuff?

1 hour ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

I wonder if Beane feel like Daryl Johnson has come along enough the take Lawson’s roll in the rotation. That would certainly free up at least a roster spot for an edge rusher in the draft.

Thanks for this. The kid showed a lot more than anyone expected. As long as Beane & his scouting staff stay together, I’ll believe EVERY Draft choice is a likely player.

1 hour ago, OZBILLS said:

It feels like every time it's time to pay someone....everyone is like "oh, it's only one good year...let them go".

Pay. This. Man :0

You’ve made your point. Let it go.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Do you think a Yannick or Judon would not give you the same (wait you are right) they would give Better impacts 

Be nice to upgrade both Murphy and Lawson.
if Bills can? i suspect they will.
After watching Judon play us? I know what that position should look like.
and as other have made some fine lists, including Bud Dupree etc, if you can get those guys? this is not even worth discussing.

Bills do not owe Murphy or Lawson a thing. I suspect it is the other way round honestly

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, skibum said:

Not like Hall of Fame great, but for a "run-stopper" who played about 50% of defensive snaps (compared to someone like Joey Bosa who plays 90+), he spent an awful lot of time in the backfield wrecking shop. He was arguably the best DE on a top-5 defense. Someone is going to pay him some loot. 

And if they do let him walk. Stay true to the value of him if it is 7-9M do it. Anything higher (1. Someone shouldn’t be offering and 2. Too much and walk away. 

2 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

I don't think anyone 'BS'd Shaq. I think they were honest with him but probably didn't really believe that he would/could do enough to 'blow their socks off'. Again, I could be wrong. I don't have any empirical evidence one way or the other, that's just my gut feeling.

You and i both work off gut feelings based on eye testing : D

2 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Today is a great day for all of us to use social media for a big fat raise.

If that doesn't work, I will stay home till my demands are met.

pm  me

we can meet for coffee at Mcdonalds. only a buck and refills for seniors are free !

• Haha (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

But you get two players who can stay fresh all game at 8 per. We know McD likes his rotations, and situational football

Murphy is pure pass rush and Lawson is more and edge setter who can move inside and get pressure.

How about 7.4 for each : D

Thank you.

No thanks.  I'd rather blow out the cash for a true edge rusher.  Shaq and Murphy can be easily replaced in week 2-3 of FA at half the cost, or Johnson hitting film and weight room in the spring.

PS - Spain is worth more to this team than those 2 DLs combined.

Edited by GG
  • Thank you (+1) 2

There seems to be an unusually large number of quality free agent pass rushers this off-season. I wonder if this will suppress the market value a bit for Lawson and Phillips? Even so, about half of the league's teams are in good enough cap shape where they can throw wild money at a pass rusher if they so choose. 

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

His Value is about 8M a year AVV.  If he wants more than that he isn't getting it from ANYONE

A 4 year 31M with about 15 GTD is what he is worth

I sure hope Shaq realizes his first 2.5 years in the league count in the eyes of gm's interested in him. He's not getting 9-10M on this year alone.

5 minutes ago, KayAdams said:

There seems to be an unusually large number of quality free agent pass rushers this off-season. I wonder if this will suppress the market value a bit for Lawson and Phillips? Even so, about half of the league's teams are in good enough cap shape where they can throw wild money at a pass rusher if they so choose. 

still a long way til they actually hit the market. Will see at least a few tags or extensions 

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

I sure hope Shaq realizes his first 2.5 years in the league count in the eyes of gm's interested in him. He's not getting 9-10M on this year alone.

I would imagine his rookie year counts very little given the injury

so this year will be weighted heavily in the evaluation. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

My hot take: WR in round 1; RB in round 2. I shouldn't want a RB that high, but I can't help myself...

1. Shenault 

2. Jefferson 

3.  Harris

4-5  OL

FA

Hunter Henry 

Yannick Ngakoue

We absolutely cannot afford to score 19 pts/ game ever again if you're chasing Lamar & Mahomes.

34 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Do you think a Yannick or Judon would not give you the same (wait you are right) they would give Better impacts 

Havent seen much of Yannick but I've seen a fair bit of Judon over the years. I like Judon. He sees the field a lot and the Ravens tend to  lean on him. He gets lots of tackles and 9.5 sacks is nothing to sneer at. Not clear to me though that he would'nt be more part of a rotation just based on what all McD seems to do with line players. So his totals would likely go down, including possibly even his sack total. Same could be said about Yannick who also gets lots of snaps, more than he might get here. And how much better is 9.5 or 8 sacks over 6.5 (I know 3 and 1.5 respectively). Judon is right now a better player than Shaq but probably not that much better.  Lawson is also trending up IMO and could continue to improve. He should be entering his prime.

If a good one falls to them in the draft I would expect the Bills to pull the trigger on a prospect. If so, I believe they would try to sign Shaq. 

• Like (+1) 1

I certainly have no issue w/ that.  NFL careers can be very short - the next contract could be any players last, and what they make has to last them a lifetime.

I really hope we keep Shaq.  He was all over the place this year, and really came into his own.  I feel like he was in on so many big plays.  A key cog in this D.

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I don’t expect him back as I think McBeane & he differ widely on fair market value. Add to that, some team is so desperate for D-rush, they’ll way over pay. He’s already made very good money from his 1st Round selection, though imo, has only earned it the last season & a half. 

But I’ve been wrong before.

Yeah. I'm not buying that 8 mil figure. I think people are gonna be shocked by the contract he receives. Something in the range of 11-12 mil per is what I expect.

If you look at his numbers and trajectory, he actually looks like a rising star. I don't believe that to be the case, but there is going to be some team that looks at his upward trend and view him as something he's not.

I can do with or without Shaq. He's a "nice" player. But this is the position I'd really like to see them aggressively address in FA'cy.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

If we are going to go get a top end DE in UFA I think it becomes which do you want more on DL in terms of re-signings Phillips or Lawson. 

Is that necessarily so even if Murphy is not with the team in 2020 (and Star and Hughes are gone in 2021)? Replacing an underperforming pass rushing DE with a better one is a good idea IMO esp if you don't have to sacrifice other pieces that are good fits. Having said that I'm not in favour of grossly overpaying anyone.