Shaq Lawson wants "that cash"

Reed83HOF

18 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Does anyone know how accurate Spotrac is when it comes to their "Market Value" estimations? Like comparing what they thought players would get to what they actually got? 

I don’t know where you’d find that.  I’d guess that there are some natural variations like being low on players that get big deals early and high on players that linger on the market.  They also tend to rely on comparisons with players of a similar age who play the same position and have similar stats.  Other factors like hometown discounts, off the field stuff, locker room leadership, etc. probably don’t get accounted for.  Still, there’s something to be said for an estimate based only on expected production. 

It is my hope that we resign him, and that the locker room peer pressure keeps him motivated, ya can’t always tell if a guy will just go through the motions after payday...

Go Bills!!!

7 minutes ago, WildBills said:

Now we know why he played so well this year. After this year he will be back to being a nobody who people thought was a bust. Has potential to be good in this league but doesn't have the heart to do it year in and year out. 

Shaq was drafted injured and did nothing his rookie year.

He got a little better playing in his second year after playing a bit.

He improved last year and improved again this year. Was it just money or is he starting to figure things out ?

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I don’t expect him back as I think McBeane & he differ widely on fair market value. Add to that, some team is so desperate for D-rush, they’ll way over pay. He’s already made very good money from his 1st Round selection, though imo, has only earned it the last season & a half. 

But I’ve been wrong before.

You are a hard azz mostly. But i agree.

He will chase the money, shame on him. And Beane will remain steady and let him feel FA. That Dline was definitely a team and scheme win. No one player just plain dominated  week in week out.

Same with Phillips. Beane will give him the chance to check FA .
 I really trust McBeanes here.

Would like to keep them both.

One player i would be sure to keep , is Tre. I know it's early. But take care of that Young Man.

2 hours ago, GG said:

You can't pay him and Murphy $8 each next year to rotate.  

why not ?

• Like (+1) 1

Good for him. The Bills FO sent him a message by not picking up his 5th year, and he responded with a great season. I hope he sticks around, but would totally understand if he wants to cash in somewhere else after not getting the love last off-season. 

1 hour ago, OZBILLS said:

Everyone has "one decent year" here it seems.

Nobody wants to pay anyone. Revolving door of development

I think this year is going to Prove that theory with our McBeanes.
The rebuild is now fine tuning and tweaking.

Its about the details.
Keep in mind this is not Russ Brandon nor Whaley trying to sell tickets and be cheap any longer.
Looking forward to see how Lawson Phillips and Spain etc are handled this offseason

Go Bills

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, skibum said:

Good for him. The Bills FO sent him a message by not picking up his 5th year, and he responded with a great season. I hope he sticks around, but would totally understand if he wants to cash in somewhere else after not getting the love last off-season. 

I definitely would not classify his season as great. I would say His best season. But in terms of other DEs in the NFL it was an avg season maybe above avg. but cannot and will not classify less than double digit sacks as great. 

11 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

You've got until 6/1 to cut Murphy as far as I know. Offer Shaq 8M per, if he walks fine, if not see where draft takes us and cut Trent when the 7.2 is needed.

They can designate him as a Post-June cut at any time now, but the cap space isn't as big of an issue as roster planning.

6 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

why not ?

Because they're both average, at best, and they rotate.  You don't spend $16 million for the equivalent of an average DE.

1 minute ago, 3rdand12 said:

I think this year is going to Prove that theory with our McBeanes.
The rebuild is now fine tuning and tweaking.

Its about the details.
Keep in mind this is not Russ Brandon nor Whaley trying to sell tickets and be cheap any longer.
Looking forward to see how Lawson Phillips and Spain etc are handled this offseason

Go Bills

if I could sign one of the 3. Spain it is. He has to be the absolute priority re-signing. 

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I hate carrying cash.

I prefer Bitcoin myself.

FWIW, I think that Shaq has played his last down for the Bills. If they thought that this last year was going to make that big of a difference in their decision, they probably would have picked up his 5th year option when they had the chance rather than rolling the dice that he'd get away. Despite what Beane told him about playing hard this year and being rewarded, I honestly believe the Bills had no intention of ever re-signing him. He had  a good year but not the type of year that would make them feel as if he can't be replaced. Maybe I'm misreading the tea leaves. Time will tell.

5 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

I prefer Bitcoin myself.

FWIW, I think that Shaq has played his last down for the Bills. If they thought that this last year was going to make that big of a difference in their decision, they probably would have picked up his 5th year option when they had the chance rather than rolling the dice that he'd get away. Despite what Beane told him about playing hard this year and being rewarded, I honestly believe the Bills had no intention of ever re-signing him. He had  a good year but not the type of year that would make them feel as if he can't be replaced. Maybe I'm misreading the tea leaves. Time will tell.

I agree. Go buy a legit Edge. So you lose a Shaq Lawson but you upgrade at the position similar to what they just did with the DL coach. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think he had a very good year, was an impactful player. I'm not so sure it would be easy to get the same performance out of a replacement player. I hope they can work something out that satisfies both parties. Sure a legit edge guy would help put our D over the top but most edge rushers are not three down players and Shaq is already in a rotation. I would like to have both Shaq and an edge rusher. 

Edited by starrymessenger

3 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

I think he had a very good year, was an impactful player. I'm not so sure it would be easy to get the same performance out of a replacement player. I hope they can work something out that satisfies both parties.

Do you think a Yannick or Judon would not give you the same (wait you are right) they would give Better impacts 

9 minutes ago, GG said:

They can designate him as a Post-June cut at any time now, but the cap space isn't as big of an issue as roster planning.

Because they're both average, at best, and they rotate.  You don't spend $16 million for the equivalent of an average DE.

But you get two players who can stay fresh all game at 8 per. We know McD likes his rotations, and situational football

Murphy is pure pass rush and Lawson is more and edge setter who can move inside and get pressure.

How about 7.4 for each : D

11 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

if I could sign one of the 3. Spain it is. He has to be the absolute priority re-signing. 

Thank you.