[Name Only Title] Teerlink

tbonehawaii

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A single name if far too vague to post as a title and provides little insight into what specifically the post is talking about.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Multiple threads on this already.

Looking at the Washington hire, it looks like Teerlink may have been forced out to make room for Washington.

Poor white dude.

I don't have a problem with the spirit of the Rooney Rule.  There may well be some level of racial bias in the NFL hiring process, whether conscious or unconscious and I like the idea of giving some guys a chance that they might not otherwise get.  The problem with the rule is the instance where a team knows exactly who they want to hire.  If that candidate is not a minority, they are forced to conduct a sham interview with a minority candidate just to satisfy the rule.  You could argue that this type of interview is a waste of everyone's time.  On the other hand, you could argue that the interview gives the minority candidate some exposure and an opportunity to practice his interview skills to be better prepared for the future (even though he has no shot at the job they are interviewing for).  McDermott, while not a Rooney Rule candidate, had some unsuccessful HC interviews in the years before the Bills hired him.  I would guess that having that experience helped to prepare him for the interview process with the Bills.  Does anyone know of a situation where a Rooney Rule interviewee ended up surprising people and getting the job, when it was pretty clear that they only got the interview to satisfy the rule?  I can't think of any off the top of my head, but would be interested to know if this has happened. 

Rooney Rule aside, I am pleased to see the Bills doing whatever it takes to improve.  Teerlick, by all accounts, was a good coach, but Washington appears to be an even better one.