Eric Washington Named Defensive Line Coach

elroy16

18 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Ehh... bordering on "too many cooks in the kitchen" at that point.

I remember a few years back the Cowboys had different OCs for the passing game and running games. And while I believe the offense improved a bit, they still didnt make it very far.

(Looked it up, they did it in 2011 and 2014, and went 12-4 in 2014 so maybe....)

Bills had one too with Roman and Chris Palmer ... not advocating for it as much as saying he is knowledgeable and could be a good resource 

Their Message Board

https://www.carolinahuddle.com/boards/topic/161854-eric-washington-hired-by-bills-to-be-dl-coach/

"Good for him. He’s a excellent DL coach but nowhere close to qualified as a DC. Why Rivera couldn’t figure this out is beyond anyone with good eyes. I actually think RR is more to blame for his failures as a DC." 

"great hire.

There is a very real thing in life called over promoting someone.  Means you can have a GREAT employee.  Fantastic.  You can then overpromote them.....into a position they don't excel at.  That doesn't mean the person wasn't great and won't be again in the right job. 

Washington is a great DL coach.  The fact we put him into a job he didn't do well doesn't change that."

Seems the Theme....  Hell of a DL coach, not a DC

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It sure looks like the team got an upgrade at D line coach ??

Go Bills!!!

2 hours ago, Cantankeous said:

Excellent hire. Say what you will about cronyism regarding Carolina, Washington was Sean’s DLine Coach for his last 6 season there, making him an authority of Sean’s schemes, while getting exceptional performance out his players.

Definite upgrade.  

Can he fix Star!! 

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

It can be a double-edged sword though...

The key to this is also having a Head Coach who is playing the role as True Head Coach. CEO and Admin of the overall team.

The opposite was true in Atlanta this year. They had multiple former HCs on the Offensive staff, and Quinn took over the DC role and D Playcalling. This effectively left them with a "Head Coach by Committee" situation and without a true leader. And they sunk hard.

As long as McD stays "above it" all, and only steps in when needed, then this is a great way to build the staff.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, elroy16 said:

Former Panthers DC. Previous experience as a D-line coach.

Looks like a quality hire. 

My only reservation is that sometimes a guy who is taking a step back has all the requisite skills, but is not "All In" with a move that is a demotion.

See Robieskie, Terry.

Hopefully McDermott knows this guy better and can judge if it is or is not the case.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

My only reservation is that sometimes a guy who is taking a step back has all the requisite skills, but is not "All In" with a move that is a demotion.

See Robieskie, Terry.

Hopefully McDermott knows this guy better and can judge if it is or is not the case.

I'm sure he was reassured that he wouldn't be blocked if another DC offer came around.

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Blah PFF.  I have had enough of their Grades. Cody Ford has a similar grade from PFF and then there are the numbers

Carolina Runs over RT 4.41 ypc ranked 14th in the NFL

Bills runs over RT 2.95 ypc  ranked 29th in the NFL

It wasn't their grade that worried me, rather it stated he gave up 12 sacks.  If that is true, that is worrisome...

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TPS said:

It wasn't their grade that worried me, rather it stated he gave up 12 sacks.  If that is true, that is worrisome...

Did he "give" them up, or was he credited them after a 

2018 UDFA In Kyle Allen or a 2019 3rd round Rookie Will Grier get confused and hold a ball too long.

Without watching the Panthers games and looking at each sack to see how long the QB held the ball, just citing sack numbers is meaningless

Edited by MAJBobby

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Did he "give" them up, or was he credited them after a 

2018 UDFA In Kyle Allen or a 2019 3rd round Rookie Will Grier get confused and hold a ball too long.

Without watching the Panthers games just citing sack numbers is meaningless

Thanks.  I'm sure Beane (and McD) know, so we'll see if they go after him.  Personally, it would be great to get an upgrade then move Ford to G.