The Intentional Grounding Penalty that Wasn't

Motorin'

This play has stuck in my head as one of another BS calls. To be fair, the worst part of the play is the atrocious play of Dawkins completely missing, like not even seeing the LB blitzing right past his left shoulder. How is Singletary the one to get called out for his blocking on this when Lee Smith and Dawkins let both of their men run right past them? Like, wtf is Dawkins doing? 

In any event, when the two edge rushers wrap Josh up, the ball is at the 39 yard line. He's clearing in the grasp and his forward progress is stop. The NFL rule book states "The Referee must blow the play dead as soon as the passer is clearly in the grasp and control of any tackler behind the line, and the passer's safety is in jeopardy.”

But Josh gets pushed back 4 yards in the grasp of 3 players, is falling to the ground vertically before the ball comes out. There's no world in which the interpretation of the NFL rules allows there defenders to grasp a QB, drive him backwards 12 feet, and that still be a live ball.

Josh in the grasp of 2 defenders at the 39 & 1/2:

1653417524_ScreenShot2020-01-10at10_01_15AM.thumb.jpg.a95c6f872ce4be575bacc850a72097cd.jpg

Josh in the grasp of 3 defenders at the 43:

717186917_ScreenShot2020-01-10at10_00_36AM.thumb.jpg.37e0245bc062f42c01555baa28ac71ff.jpg

Edited by Motorin'

is #26 doing what they call a Veronica in bullfighting?

but without the cape

i guess since it's the last game of the year they don't have to sit in film room for hours on end going over this endlessly

If he completes a pass for a big gain here and they called that he was down due to being in the grasp of defenders we would all be complaining about that.  Gotta take the good with the bad with Allen being so hard to take down.

Also the intentional grounding penalty doesn't really matter that much here he was going to get sacked for a 10+ yard loss anyway.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, billsrul120 said:

If he completes a pass for a big gain here and they called that he was down due to being in the grasp of defenders we would all be complaining about that.  Gotta take the good with the bad with Allen being so hard to take down.

Also the intentional grounding penalty doesn't really matter that much here he was going to get sacked for a 10+ yard loss anyway.

there was a glimmer of hope that the penalty would be against the Texans for sending too many men to clobber Josh

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, billsrul120 said:

It would have put the Bills in a 56 yard field goal range. But there's no way they allow Allen to complete that play without ruling him sacked is Singletary catches the ball and runs for 20 yards. 

2 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

I didn’t realize previous just how badly Singletary missed the block on that play.

How can you blame Singletary and not Dawkins? This is what our LT was doing on the play when the LB blitzed his gap:

116682431_ScreenShot2020-01-10at10_27_17AM.thumb.jpg.c452c24338d9f35ebbaa1b4eff73ef73.jpg

Edited by Motorin'

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

is #26 doing what they call a Veronica in bullfighting?

but without the cape

i guess since it's the last game of the year they don't have to sit in film room for hours on end going over this endlessly

I think the OP is right about two things.   First, the play should have been blown dead.   Clearly.   Three guys tackling him and he's still up, but the rules are the rules.   

I hadn't watched it before, but he's right about Singletary.   The oline almost always takes rushers from the inside out, and the running back has to deal with the edge rusher - the linebacker or the DB.   SIngletary is on his way our to protect the edge when Knox and Dawkins just let the inside guys run free at the QB, and when he saw the problem he tried to stop and help, but he was too late.  Not his fault.  

• Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I think the OP is right about two things.   First, the play should have been blown dead.   Clearly.   Three guys tackling him and he's still up, but the rules are the rules.   

I hadn't watched it before, but he's right about Singletary.   The oline almost always takes rushers from the inside out, and the running back has to deal with the edge rusher - the linebacker or the DB.   SIngletary is on his way our to protect the edge when Knox and Dawkins just let the inside guys run free at the QB, and when he saw the problem he tried to stop and help, but he was too late.  Not his fault.  

That's my take exactly. It was Lee Smith though, not Knox getting beat around the edge. All 5 lineman try to block Watt at on point or another on the play, allowing 3 rushers a free lane to the QB.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, billsrul120 said:

They can't claim he was down if they don't blow the whistle. 

But you're right,  it would have been an equally huge loss as a sack. 

Op should consider a lawsuit though, I guess.

The next play was even worse with I think only three guys rushing and again Dawkins let's the guy just run right in on Josh free and untouched.  The line was average all game and then this series of events when your in range to tie the game I'm sure set many fans a fire.  Sad that Josh took a lot of heat on these plays when the pressure was instant.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ILBillsfan said:

The next play was even worse with I think only three guys rushing and again Dawkins let's the guy just run right in on Josh free and untouched.  The line was average all game and then this series of events when your in range to tie the game I'm sure set many fans a fire.  Sad that Josh took a lot of heat on these plays when the pressure was instant.

They both looked like that 4th down play in NE when 3 rushers came screaming in free and clear. How does that happen? 

1 minute ago, MJS said:

No, I don't see it the same way. Clearly was intentional grounding to me.

So if he completes the pass to Singletary and not Feleciano, it's a completion? 

5 minutes ago, ILBillsfan said:

loss of 36 yards on two downs? 

33 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

That's my take exactly. It was Lee Smith though, not Knox getting beat around the edge. All 5 lineman try to block Watt at on point or another on the play, allowing 3 rushers a free lane to the QB.

actually, the best thing that happened to the Bills given the situation was being driven back to their own 40 yard line. If Houston hadn't been so close, they likely would have punted and nailed the Bills much deeper in their own end. 

5 minutes ago, row_33 said:

loss of 36 yards on two downs? 

Those 36 yards actually functioned as a bad punt by the Texans. Could have been a lot worse if Houston had actually punted on 4th down from midfield.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

actually, the best thing that happened to the Bills given the situation was being driven back to their own 40 yard line. If Houston hadn't been so close, they likely would have punted and nailed the Bills much deeper in their own end. 

In the bizarro world that was that game, that's actually true. 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Thanks for the explanation....that makes sense.