Joe B All-22 from Houston playoff game

YoloinOhio

40 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s not good vs the run. Oliver was the better player by far at the end of the year. Is he a nice piece in the rotation - yes. But he won’t be paid what he wants by the Bills because  they won’t value him that high and that’s ok. He should get as much as he can on the open market. 

Yeah, Oliver's play is the reason I no longer think they should sign Phillips, unless he came cheap, which he won't. Oliver needs to get 60-70% of the defensive snaps next year at 3T. Find a cheap vet or draft someone to back him up.  Let that dog loose next year!

• Thank you (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

No surprise re Allen. You could make this conclusion watching the game in real time. He reverted to hero ball.

it didn’t help that Daboll refused to run Singletary a single time in OT, or even really line a RB up in the backfield. 

He reverted to hero ball ON ONE PLAY on the game tying FG drive (the lateral) and maybe on one play (the huge sack) on the drive before that.  And like his overstated "accuracy issues" Allen DID NOT revert to hero ball in this game.

In fact in the Bills ONLY OT drive Allen seemed calm and collected, or at least he did until he took that wicked head shot, as he drove the Bills down the field for the game winning FG.  He made two excellent throws to convert 3rd & long on that drive. 

As for Singleterry not getting carries in OT that can be attributed to 2 facts:

1)  On the QB sweep that should have won the game but for two guys missing a block it's likely that the play was so wide open because the Texans were keying on Singleterry. 

2)  The Bills only had ONE OT possession because our defense couldn't get off the field on a 3rd & 18.

• Like (+1) 6

13 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

They did?  I'm a simple football fan and in spite of all that went before if either Knox or Morse make that block on a perfectly called QB sweep Allen possibly takes it to house.  Or at worst we're in FG range to win it in OT.

My problem with Joe B is that he often can't see the forest for the trees.  Take a look at how other young QB's fared in their first playoff game.  Those stats have been posted all over 2BD the last few days.  A lot of great QB's had ugly first playoff games - even in games their teams won.  The bottom line is that the Bills asked to much of Allen.  Which is both good & bad.  It's good because they were confident he could handle it.  It was bad because when he had a bad play he lost it for a couple of series at a crucial point in the game.

And why is Joe B surprised that after the fumble Allen hesitated on some of his throws in order to make sure he didn't turn the ball over again?  I mean this was his FIRST 4th quarter in a playoff game and his FIRST ever OT game.    On the drive that should have won the game for the Bills but for a BS penalty on Ford and missed blocks on a perfectly called QB sweep I saw Allen get his feet back under him and make two great throws to gain 1st downs on 3rd & long. 

The fact is that this was as classic a TEAM loss as you're ever going to see in a close game that goes to OT.  And as I've posted elsewhere, if I had to choose the top 5 plays that lost the game Allen's play would NOT make the list.  Here's the list off the top of my head and tell me I'm wrong:

1)  missed block on QB sweep

2)  ref calling a blindside PF on Ford

3)  ref NOT calling targeting on the Texan who drilled Allen in the head on the QB sweep.

4)  the defense allowing Houston to convert a 3rd & 18 in OT

5)  Milano not wrapping up on Watson for a sack on that Texan FG drive that won the game.

6)  Brown not staying in bounds on the failed toe tap catch that would have given us first & goal at the 2.

7)  Duke not making a tough catch for a TD at the end of the first half.

Look. More then 5 plays and not one involved Allen doing something bad.  Go figure. 

I get your point, but that fumble Was the momentum swing imo.

only 6 and 7 lead to sure fire more points. All the others still require subsequent plays to go right that we will never see play out. 

The two sacks Late were also not very wise which I suspect contributed to the hero ball label. 

anyway- team loss for sure. 

Offense needs to add some talent and young guys need to have good off season development. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

They did?  I'm a simple football fan and in spite of all that went before if either Knox or Morse make that block on a perfectly called QB sweep Allen possibly takes it to house.  Or at worst we're in FG range to win it in OT.

My problem with Joe B is that he often can't see the forest for the trees.  Take a look at how other young QB's fared in their first playoff game.  Those stats have been posted all over 2BD the last few days.  A lot of great QB's had ugly first playoff games - even in games their teams won.  The bottom line is that the Bills asked to much of Allen.  Which is both good & bad.  It's good because they were confident he could handle it.  It was bad because when he had a bad play he lost it for a couple of series at a crucial point in the game.

And why is Joe B surprised that after the fumble Allen hesitated on some of his throws in order to make sure he didn't turn the ball over again?  I mean this was his FIRST 4th quarter in a playoff game and his FIRST ever OT game.    On the drive that should have won the game for the Bills but for a BS penalty on Ford and missed blocks on a perfectly called QB sweep I saw Allen get his feet back under him and make two great throws to gain 1st downs on 3rd & long. 

The fact is that this was as classic a TEAM loss as you're ever going to see in a close game that goes to OT.  And as I've posted elsewhere, if I had to choose the top 5 plays that lost the game Allen's play would NOT make the list.  Here's the list off the top of my head and tell me I'm wrong:

1)  missed block on QB sweep

2)  ref calling a blindside PF on Ford

3)  ref NOT calling targeting on the Texan who drilled Allen in the head on the QB sweep.

4)  the defense allowing Houston to convert a 3rd & 18 in OT

5)  Milano not wrapping up on Watson for a sack on that Texan FG drive that won the game.

6)  Brown not staying in bounds on the failed toe tap catch that would have given us first & goal at the 2.

7)  Duke not making a tough catch for a TD at the end of the first half.

Look. More then 5 plays and not one involved Allen doing something bad.  Go figure. 

Excellent, and so is your next post.  Team loss.

• Like (+1) 4

58 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

No surprise re Allen. You could make this conclusion watching the game in real time. He reverted to hero ball.

it didn’t help that Daboll refused to run Singletary a single time in OT, or even really line a RB up in the backfield. 

Offense didn't make the plays they had in front of them. Td dropped at the end of the half. Pass dropped w a minute left in regulation that would have shifted the field. Worse was a kick ass play in ot that just wasn't blocked right. 1 block and Josh is still running. That was a game winning call. That play perfectly illustrates the fact that a play not working isn't always cuz of a bad play call.The players are to blame for this loss, not Daboll.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Irregardless of the lateral play he got the team in position to tie the game with no timeouts.  Then in OT took the team down the field a lack of execution by the pulling center and Tr to block Kirkpatrick and then a horrible block penalty in first is what kept him from and the Bills from winning this game.

little over zealous on the Allen hate.

i love Allens passion to win and thought he did ok.  Players need to step up for the guy and also make some plays, oh and some plays to attack the middle of the field that was wide open in OT would of been nice

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s not good vs the run. Oliver was the better player by far at the end of the year. Is he a nice piece in the rotation - yes. But he won’t be paid what he wants by the Bills because  they won’t value him that high and that’s ok. He should get as much as he can on the open market. 

Yep. And after he underperforms his contract on a bad team (won’t be his fault, as his limits are what they are) and gets cut, he can come back here and play with the people he loves again. It happens so often in this league. 

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

He reverted to hero ball ON ONE PLAY on the game tying FG drive (the lateral) and maybe on one play (the huge sack) on the drive before that.  And like his overstated "accuracy issues" Allen DID NOT revert to hero ball in this game.

In fact in the Bills ONLY OT drive Allen seemed calm and collected, or at least he did until he took that wicked head shot, as he drove the Bills down the field for the game winning FG.  He made two excellent throws to convert 3rd & long on that drive. 

As for Singleterry not getting carries in OT that can be attributed to 2 facts:

1)  On the QB sweep that should have won the game but for two guys missing a block it's likely that the play was so wide open because the Texans were keying on Singleterry. 

2)  The Bills only had ONE OT possession because our defense couldn't get off the field on a 3rd & 18.

don’t get me wrong— I thought Allen played a fantastic first half. As soon as the 4th quarter hit though, a switch went off. He looked like he was forcing everything. 

4th quarter on— he was in total hero ball mode. He was looking to bomb it or run it every time. The DiMarco throw. The bad sacks. The lateral. Multiple unnecessary scrambles. It was really bad. Not like the Allen I had seen for most of the season. 

People are always going to put the blame on the QB, and Allen did some things/didn’t do some things that deserve criticism. That being said, I think anyone wanting to use this game as a harbinger of the future is really missing the mark. He did enough to win the game multiple times and was let down by his team, coaches, and the refs. Blame is 100% sharable in this game, and really, it has to be. You don’t lose a game after leading 16-0 in the third without the entire team doing their jobs poorly. 

I consider this a good game for josh in that he will learn from it and be prepared the next time the bulbs in the lights are even bigger than the 60 Watters they use in Dallas and Pittsburgh. His time will come. I’m encouraged, even when he was crapping the bed (as some might describe it, though I don’t think it was ever as bad as they say it was) he still did good things and got us close to a W. It’s all downhill from here.

edit: downhill in a good “it’s easier” way...

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

He was complimentary of his 1st half but I couldn’t copy it all. The point of his article was to break down why he unraveled in the 4th and so I chose that to include as the excerpt for those without a sub 

I did read the whole article and understand that.  He didn’t mention play calling down the stretch though like substituting their big package in after they were rolling down the field after that Singletary screen.  A Frank Gore handoff for zilch didn’t exactly put Allen in a favorable position.  Neither did going for it on 4th and 27.  The coaching staff was a large reason he reverted back to hero ball form.  Good learning experience for Josh in the long run but some more context would’ve led to a stronger article.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I did read the whole article and understand that.  He didn’t mention play calling down the stretch though like substituting their big package in after they were rolling down the field after that Singletary screen.  A Frank Gore handoff for zilch didn’t exactly put Allen in a favorable position.  Neither did going for it on 4th and 27.  The coaching staff was a large reason he reverted back to hero ball form.  Good learning experience for Josh in the long run but some more context would’ve led to a stronger article.

Definitely a lot of blame to go around. He was not calm, he was playing frantically and that is not all on him. Coaching. oL play. Etc.  poor decisions from the coaches and poor execution from the players in crunch time. Hopefully they all learn from it. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, mannc said:

Funny, I thought the weather was fine in the dome on Saturday.  How did so many Bills “lose their footing” on the same play?

I could be wrong but I don't think slipping is always weather related. 

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think that many just feel it would not be a good use of valuable development time for Allen to have to learn a new offense going into this year. I’m not sure if that’s what joe b means but I’ve heard others say this 

it would be valuable development if Allen has an OC that doesn't force him to throw 46 times in his first playoff game ever on the road. 

Daboll leaving will be the best thing to ever happen to Allens career 

41 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

I’ll always remember Josh for “the lateral”.            Pure Genius

Stopped the clock without a penalty, saving 20 seconds when there was only a minute left. 

5 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

The line fell apart in the 4th qtr and overtime. Singletary missed blitz pick up. Allen choked. Just about everything unraveled.  

That is on the coaching staff. 

On to next year. Schedule will be tougher but roster will be better too.

I just watched that play where Songletary doesn't pick up the blitz and Josh gets an intentional grounding penalty. Mostly because I wanted to know how 3 Texans had Allen wrapped up and falling vertical, pushing him back 3 yards, but there was no "in the grasp" call.

What I was shocked to see was Dawkins compeletly ignore Mericlous. He may have even brushed Dawks shoulder on the way by, and he didn't even look at him. Like he just let the edge rusher past and he kept he hands up pointing them at empty air with no one to block. He didn't even turn his head to acknowledge his presence. I'm stupified.

Edited by Motorin'

41 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

Daboll leaving will be the best thing to ever happen to Allens career 

Oh, I highly doubt that. It's not so easy to design a complete gameplan for a QB that has difficulty in completing a pass over 25 yds.

Nobody can sit here and praise Allen for an amazing 1st half and at the same time crucify Daboll for a poor 2nd half. They call that talking out of both sides of your mouth.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Empty backfield in ot when all that was needed was a fg was inexcusably stupid, especially considering the lack of pass protection and success of passing attack in the last qtr and a half.

• Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

What I was shocked to see was Dawkins compeletly ignore Mericlous. He may have even brushed Dawks shoulder on the way by, and he didn't even look at him. Like he just let the edge rusher past and he kept he hands up pointing them at empty air with no one to block. He didn't even turn his head to acknowledge his presence. I'm stupified.

Go watch the QB sweep right in the 4th quarter.  Knox, Ford and Morse all block ghosts, while Cunningham practically hospitalizes Allen.  You’ll be super extra-stupified.

• Like (+1) 1