Joe B All-22 from Houston playoff game

YoloinOhio

Allen was playing a winning brand of football, which is what made what ensued all the more frustrating. As soon as he lost the fumble at the beginning of the fourth quarter, Allen became the player the Bills had in their rookie season. The splits of his day in those major metrics are eye-opening.

For every “wow” throw, there were more instances when he held on to the ball too long and invited pressure into the backfield. His yards per attempt in the fourth quarter and overtime decreased nearly 2 yards to 4.9. His completion percentage was only 37 percent, and even when you adjust it to take out throwaways, he only completed 47 percent of his passes. Even his yardage total is misleading, as he accounted for only 31 completed air yards of the 93. These are all areas in which Allen has gotten better in his second season, and his temporary regression in those areas was a substantial contributor to the outcome.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The 3rd and 18 was a series of tiny mistakes (and a questionable missed hold on Tunsil) 

The first breakdown was from the left rusher, Lorenzo Alexander, who lost his footing and dropped to the turf, which created a controlled side of the pocket. After that happened, Jordan Phillips also lost his footing and fell to the ground well past the line of scrimmage. Had Phillips stayed upright, he would have provided additional pressure to dissuade Watson from stepping into the pocket the way he did. The other notable part of the image is the hand of left tackle Laremy Tunsil clearly on the back of Jerry Hughes, pushing him past Watson. Hughes had a free rushing lane thanks to the twist performed by Oliver, and Tunsil was in chase mode. Referees don’t always make that call, but it was enough to warrant consideration from the officials. Instead, Hughes flies by Watson, the quarterback steps up into the empty space and hits Johnson in the middle of the field. That brings us to the backside of the coverage...

youth and the big moment played into the coverage breakdown. The two key components of the coverage are middle linebacker Tremaine Edmunds and nickel cornerback Siran Neal by the hashmarks, who dropped back a full 4 yards past the first-down marker to the 41-yard line. Their depth of coverage should have been, at most, only 1 to 2 yards past the line-to-gain, so that way, they have ample time to change direction and get the ball carrier. That obviously didn’t happen, which had a ripple effect.

3 minutes ago, Process said:

This clown bashes Allen every single week. Meanwhile refers to the browns potentially hiring Daboll as a "huge loss"

I think that many just feel it would not be a good use of valuable development time for Allen to have to learn a new offense going into this year. I’m not sure if that’s what joe b means but I’ve heard others say this 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think that many just feel it would not be a good use of valuable development time for Allen to have to learn a new offense going into this year. I’m not sure if that’s what joe b means but I’ve heard others say this 

An OC that puts him and the entire offense in terrible positions all game can't be good either

• Like (+1) 5

41 minutes ago, Process said:

This clown bashes Allen every single week. Meanwhile refers to the browns potentially hiring Daboll as a "huge loss"

I don’t have a subscription to The Athletic, but what I’m reading from the article in this thread is spot on.

Edited by BarleyNY

14 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

That’s generous giving Phillips ‘loses his footing’. Similar to the rest of the year, he often loses badly vs double teams. 

He’s not good vs the run. Oliver was the better player by far at the end of the year. Is he a nice piece in the rotation - yes. But he won’t be paid what he wants by the Bills because  they won’t value him that high and that’s ok. He should get as much as he can on the open market. 

• Like (+1) 7

41 minutes ago, Process said:

An OC that puts him and the entire offense in terrible positions all game can't be good either

Lot of worse coordinators out there than Daboll. He’s not perfect obviously but we’re two years into his scheme for josh it’s not smart to change up unless you know you’re getting a big upgrade. Some “names” out there look to be an upgrade but we also don’t have to work with them. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

That’s generous giving Phillips ‘loses his footing’. Similar to the rest of the year, he often loses badly vs double teams. 

Funny, I thought the weather was fine in the dome on Saturday.  How did so many Bills “lose their footing” on the same play?

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s not good vs the run. Oliver was the better player by far at the end of the year. Is he a nice piece in the rotation - yes. But he won’t be paid what he wants by the Bills because  they won’t value him that high and that’s ok. He should get as much as he can on the open market. 

Yep and I’ve been saying exactly this since mid season. He’s a situational 3tech, period.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

No surprise re Allen. You could make this conclusion watching the game in real time. He reverted to hero ball.

it didn’t help that Daboll refused to run Singletary a single time in OT, or even really line a RB up in the backfield. 

And that sums it up perfectly. Both points are spot on. Josh & Daboll tag-teamed on that loss. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

And that sums it up perfectly. Both points are spot on. Josh & Daboll tag-teamed on that loss. 

They did?  I'm a simple football fan and in spite of all that went before if either Knox or Morse make that block on a perfectly called QB sweep Allen possibly takes it to house.  Or at worst we're in FG range to win it in OT.

My problem with Joe B is that he often can't see the forest for the trees.  Take a look at how other young QB's fared in their first playoff game.  Those stats have been posted all over 2BD the last few days.  A lot of great QB's had ugly first playoff games - even in games their teams won.  The bottom line is that the Bills asked to much of Allen.  Which is both good & bad.  It's good because they were confident he could handle it.  It was bad because when he had a bad play he lost it for a couple of series at a crucial point in the game.

And why is Joe B surprised that after the fumble Allen hesitated on some of his throws in order to make sure he didn't turn the ball over again?  I mean this was his FIRST 4th quarter in a playoff game and his FIRST ever OT game.    On the drive that should have won the game for the Bills but for a BS penalty on Ford and missed blocks on a perfectly called QB sweep I saw Allen get his feet back under him and make two great throws to gain 1st downs on 3rd & long. 

The fact is that this was as classic a TEAM loss as you're ever going to see in a close game that goes to OT.  And as I've posted elsewhere, if I had to choose the top 5 plays that lost the game Allen's play would NOT make the list.  Here's the list off the top of my head and tell me I'm wrong:

1)  missed block on QB sweep

2)  ref calling a blindside PF on Ford

3)  ref NOT calling targeting on the Texan who drilled Allen in the head on the QB sweep.

4)  the defense allowing Houston to convert a 3rd & 18 in OT

5)  Milano not wrapping up on Watson for a sack on that Texan FG drive that won the game.

6)  Brown not staying in bounds on the failed toe tap catch that would have given us first & goal at the 2.

7)  Duke not making a tough catch for a TD at the end of the first half.

Look. More then 5 plays and not one involved Allen doing something bad.  Go figure. 

• Like (+1) 13
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Process said:

Too harsh for this particular game as he made some incredible throws on the run to extend drives that Watson couldn't have made.  His WR's didn't do him any favors this game as they could've put it away early if Brown has more sideline awareness or Duke catches that TD near the end of the half.  He made some costly mistakes but I put more of the blame for this game on poor 2nd half coaching on both sides of the ball.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Too harsh for this particular game as he made some incredible throws on the run to extend drives that Watson couldn't have made.  His WR's didn't do him any favors this game as they could've put it away early if Brown has more sideline awareness or Duke catches that TD near the end of the half.  He made some costly mistakes but I put more of the blame for this game on poor 2nd half coaching on both sides of the ball.

He was complimentary of his 1st half but I couldn’t copy it all. The point of his article was to break down why he unraveled in the 4th and so I chose that to include as the excerpt for those without a sub 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1