Mike Mularkey retires from coaching

Virgil

6 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Guys' been knocking down high 6 figure salaries for years and years.

Yeah, what a loser. 

I don’t think anyone called him in a loser in this thread.  He probably could have gotten a job somewhere but it’s not like he’s a super in demand candidate. I think every team that has fired him improves after he leaves. 

9 minutes ago, Tisker A Tasker said:

I'm surprised by all of the negativity towards him on this board.  Was he a great coach? No, but they had a good thing going in his first year - then they got rid of Bledsoe.  I don't blame him for quitting either.  I love Marv, but he messed up his opening press conference as GM so badly.  "Maybe I'll coach too" he says - while Mularkey is still the coach!  That, and Ralph was paying him less than any other HC in the league.  There were coordinators making more.  I bet some of the people criticizing him for leaving have also uttered the words, "Ralph is cheap".  You can't have it both ways.

I’m never a fan of piling on Ralph, especially posthumously, but this is as truthy a post as you can get.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I don’t think anyone called him in a loser in this thread.  He probably could have gotten a job somewhere but it’s not like he’s a super in demand candidate. I think every team that has fired him improves after he leaves. 

just another of those best-forgotten HCs between Marv and McDermott

oh yes, Wade was a good one as well but forgettable kinda, but not in a mean way

-----

bringing back Marv as GM was one of the most cynical and obviously horrendous decisions I have ever witnessed in sports or foreign policy or religion or metaphysics

which we hopefully are digging out of over the next few years with this team!!

Edited by row_33
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Tisker A Tasker said:

I'm surprised by all of the negativity towards him on this board.  Was he a great coach? No, but they had a good thing going in his first year - then they got rid of Bledsoe.  I don't blame him for quitting either.  I love Marv, but he messed up his opening press conference as GM so badly.  "Maybe I'll coach too" he says - while Mularkey is still the coach!  That, and Ralph was paying him less than any other HC in the league.  There were coordinators making more.  I bet some of the people criticizing him for leaving have also uttered the words, "Ralph is cheap".  You can't have it both ways.

In his defense, Bledsoe should’ve been gone after 2003. If they beat the Steelers in 2004, everything might’ve turned out different.

4 minutes ago, Rico said:

In his defense, Bledsoe should’ve been gone after 2003. If they beat the Steelers in 2004, everything might’ve turned out different.

fair enough

matter of time before he stood there 3 seconds too long in the pocket and made his Patriots DEVASTATING hit seem like a love tap

2 minutes ago, Rico said:

2004 wasn't a great year for Bledsoe, and I remember wishing they'd run the ball more, but he was a steady presence at QB and that counted a lot with they guys in the locker room ( OL Ross Tucker has some great takes on this ) The big  problem is, who do you replace him with?  Unfortunately, he was replaced by a combination of JP Losman and Kelly Holcomb.

34 minutes ago, Tisker A Tasker said:

Man, those were some ***** show days....

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Tisker A Tasker said:

2004 wasn't a great year for Bledsoe, and I remember wishing they'd run the ball more, but he was a steady presence at QB and that counted a lot with they guys in the locker room ( OL Ross Tucker has some great takes on this ) The big  problem is, who do you replace him with?  Unfortunately, he was replaced by a combination of JP Losman and Kelly Holcomb.

Shane Matthews would’ve won the Steelers game.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Good guy, amazing that he was a head coach for 3 different NFL teams, 2 after he quit on the Bills.

It's odd that he went 9-7 two years in a row with the Titans and still got fired anyway after making it to the divisional round of the playoffs his last season. Going 9-7 is what the Titans do. 

4 hours ago, MR8 said:

Is that what its called when no one wants you?  Retiring? 

Sometimes it's called "I've made so much money I don't need to put up with this BS anymore!"  I don't think any of us need to feel sorry for him.  In what other profession can you be incredibly bad and still walk away with millions of dollars and be set for life?  Just sayin'

8 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Sometimes it's called "I've made so much money I don't need to put up with this BS anymore!"  I don't think any of us need to feel sorry for him.  In what other profession can you be incredibly bad and still walk away with millions of dollars and be set for life?  Just sayin'

but it's not like other sports where you can go to Europe or other continents and get paid well in a bogus league

3 hours ago, Tisker A Tasker said:

Sure you can. Many posters have multiple personalities which if they met would fight.

• Haha (+1) 1