Mike Mularkey retires from coaching

Virgil

41 minutes ago, row_33 said:

maybe to Tisker this was the Golden Era of Bills football, might be too young to remember Kelly's Dynasty

No no.  I remember the 90s well. Re-read my post.  I don't look at 2004-05 as the "good ol days".  I look at it as a time when this team was being failed by its owner.  They were not paying their coaches well.  They were not keeping up with other teams in terms of facilities or modern training methods.  I don't look at Mularkey as a quitter.  I look at him as a guy who realized he could make just as much money in more stable organizations elsewhere with fewer headaches.   He jumped off an erratic sinking ship - the last vestiges of were finally jettisoned once Russ Brandon was fired. Our two--decade-long nightmare is finally over.  Mike Mularkey was another victim of it, just like us.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Tisker A Tasker said:

No no.  I remember the 90s well. Re-read my post.  I don't look at 2004-05 as the "good ol days".  I look at it as a time when this team was being failed by its owner.  They were not paying their coaches well.  They were not keeping up with other teams in terms of facilities or modern training methods.  I don't look at Mularkey as a quitter.  I look at him as a guy who realized he could make just as much money in more stable organizations elsewhere with fewer headaches.   He jumped off an erratic sinking ship - the last vestiges of were finally jettisoned once Russ Brandon was fired. Our two--decade-long nightmare is finally over.  Mike Mularkey was another victim of it, just like us.

it was just a quip, glad you saw the Good Years, hopefully it's getting to be more Good Years

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Rico said:

In his defense, Bledsoe should’ve been gone after 2003. If they beat the Steelers in 2004, everything might’ve turned out different.

1. 2004-win and we're in against Steelers 3rd string; you know the result........but we're tagged as "up and coming for 2005".

2. 2005- "up and coming" record of 5-11. "Up and coming" becomes "down the drain". So he quits January 2006.

3. I believe Moo's 2004 club set a club record for scores on the opening drives. At the same time, he was woeful in 2nd half adjustments to counter the opposition.

...then his travels began..............

On 1/9/2020 at 7:28 PM, WhoTom said:

Corporate executive.

Or NFL Commissioner.   

Or for that matter Director of Schools.  Our school district paid a large commission to find candidate and brought in one who retired (with full pension) from California.  Evidently he had a large set of bonuses for he immediately started making changes which made no sense until you realize most of the costs will impact after he leaves and the cost savings which affected bonus were now (sounds like deficit spending to me).  One of the last changes he made was direction to school cafeterias that being poor was not supposed to mentally impact students in schools so if you did not have money cafeteria was supposed to give meal to student without student having to prove they were needy. They were supposed to pay back but rarely ever did and the letters asking for it were considered shaming parents. Older students caught on this quickly and would save their money and ask for free meals on regular basis spending lunch money on snacks that were not covered going to another cashier to try to not be noticed.  When the bills started to come in director went on medical leave and would not be back before end of contract. He also qualified in 5 years for another full pension.

It seems the worse you are the more they are willing to pay for you to leave quietly and not write a tell-all book which means someone in P*ts organization is going to get a big payout.

54 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

May bin what?  ?

wish I could laugh

he was a top pick by the Bills and huiuuugely hyped 

and then...

turned out his passion was finger painting and talking to butterflies or whatever

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/9/2020 at 4:52 PM, TheFunPolice said:

Good guy, amazing that he was a head coach for 3 different NFL teams, 2 after he quit on the Bills.

It's odd that he went 9-7 two years in a row with the Titans and still got fired anyway after making it to the divisional round of the playoffs his last season. Going 9-7 is what the Titans do. 

Not that I ever thought he was a great HC, but he got a bum deal being fired after that season.  If I remember correctly, there were also a couple of questionable calls in favor of the Patriots that helped put the divisional game out of reach.  

I respected Mularkey for quitting on the Bills.  He didn't have another HC job lined up; he just didn't want to be a part of the circus sideshow that OBD had become.  A man must have principles.