Mike Mularkey retires from coaching

Virgil

46 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

In what other profession can you be incredibly bad and still walk away with millions of dollars and be set for life?

Corporate executive.

• Haha (+1) 2

I mean this seriously because I didn't bother to check stats and otherwise have no idea. Has he been a bad OC?

For the Bills, I hated him be cause I hate quitters. But, during the drought only quitters won 9 games in a season. And, although I get that it goes with the territory of being an NFL coach, having your kids harrassed by other kids at school be because of bad decisions by your dad just completely sucks.

So far as the  comment that Marv said, I'm almost positive his "maybe I'll coach" statement came after M.M. quit.

5 hours ago, Virgil said:

Had the best scripted drives to start a Bills game in as long as I can remember.  Unfortunately, couldn't score afterwards

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/mike-mularkey-retires-from-coaching

I, too, am announcing my retirement from being an NFL coach. At the same time, I’m an unrestricted free agent for all of the four major sports. 

5 hours ago, Rico said:

Shane Matthews would’ve won the Steelers game.

People can scoff all they like, but I believe this is true.

Bledsoe was absolutely toast, especially down the stretch as his body wore down and his "mobility" suffered. Did real well in Dallas, right?

It's well established and discussed that JP Losman was a terrible draft pick, but the Bills also "drafted" Drew Bledsoe in the first round. BB had to be stunned a team was willing to give up a first for that guy AT THAT POINT.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

People can scoff all they like, but I believe this is true.

Bledsoe was absolutely toast, especially down the stretch as his body wore down and his "mobility" suffered. Did real well in Dallas, right?

It's well established and discussed that JP Losman was a terrible draft pick, but the Bills also "drafted" Drew Bledsoe in the first round. BB had to be stunned a team was willing to give up a first for that guy AT THAT POINT.

Make no mistake, Brain Dead Drew was by far the biggest reason they lost that game.:thumbdown:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I have nothing to contribute to this thread save this: every time I scroll through the main page and this thread title catches my eye, my brain reads “Mike” and “retires from coaching” and completely skips the last name and auto fills random coaches. Mike Vrabel, Mike McCarthty, Mike Holmgren. Etc. etc. So for that really weird reason, this has been the most interesting thread of the week for me... I wonder whose going to retire next...

3 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

According to Football Outsiders, who has tracked every play in the NFL since the early 1990s, the 2004 Bills are statistically the best NFL team (in their record-keeping history) to have failed to qualify for the playoffs.[2]

That's gotta count for somethin' right? That was a hell of a year though. Blew it in the season opener though against the jags. Of course there was the Piggsburgh fiasco, but man they had every chance to win that opener too.

17 hours ago, Tisker A Tasker said:

I'm surprised by all of the negativity towards him on this board. 

Really? They guy quit on his team! The guy is a bum when it comes to coaching. I got the chance to meet him at a Bills preseason camp dinner and I can say as a person; he is a super nice guy. Very easy going, easy to talk to and very engaging when he talks football, but when you quit on your team that speak VOLUMES as to what kjind of man you really are.

every opening drive would be a run heavy score, followed by garbage on O

i think dabol is similar, except we didn't do that opening drive until the playoff game, where we do weird and wacky stuff that surprises the d, but stink otherwise due to lack of talent and also the o doesn't run any plays well because we have no identity.

i need to stop, i'm on a dabol crusade! 

37 minutes ago, BigPappy said:

Really? They guy quit on his team! The guy is a bum when it comes to coaching. I got the chance to meet him at a Bills preseason camp dinner and I can say as a person; he is a super nice guy. Very easy going, easy to talk to and very engaging when he talks football, but when you quit on your team that speak VOLUMES as to what kjind of man you really are.

maybe to Tisker this was the Golden Era of Bills football, might be too young to remember Kelly's Dynasty

He was such a forgettable coach and it was such a time of hopelessness even though the drought was just starting.  The situation with Ralph was also well into the senile stage and some of the decision making had become perplexing at the best of times.  Mularkey's failure to get us into the playoffs vs a team of 3rd stringers was one of the biggest failures I've ever seen in coaching in any sport. The team just did not seem prepared in that game or motivated at all.  In retrospect, Mularkey's era is like a childhood trauma or humiliation that your mind has buried for you to avoid further issues.

Edited by Livinginthepast
  • Like (+1) 1