Baldy's Breakdown of Singletary vs. Texans

UB2SF

18 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Unfortunately, he is a liability in pass pro.

Thurman talked about this on OBL today and said it was his only concern. 

Personally (I clearly know more than a HOF RB), I think he can be coached to do it. In addition, there are ways to scheme for this. 

26 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

they will bring in another via the late draft or UDFA, or waiver wire. But what type compliments this offense with Devin as the feature back?

I think a back similar to Gore with just more juice and can catch as well.
I like what the Falcons did in 2014 and 2015 when they picked Freeman and then Coleman. Freeman was a fourth round pick and Coleman was a third round pick. Both are good pass catcher and runners. Coleman is bigger but Freeman runs harder. 
I don’t think we necessarily need a totally opposite style to Singletary, just someone who can come in and get the same production.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

With the way the officials basically let the CB's mug the WR's in the playoffs the teams with the strong rushing attacks prevailed. I would love to pair a strong powerful RB with Singletary and win games by pounding teams into the ground. If our focus is to get another good RB, 2 big WR's, a pass rushing DE and another good CB we are definitely going back to the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I think back to the Falcons prolific offense of 2016 when they had Coleman and Freeman. Both are good pass catcher and runners. Coleman is bigger but Freeman runs harder. 

A RB like Gore in his prime would make this team so fun to watch. The only problem is RB's like Gore don't come around too often and are top 10 picks.

• Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

With the way the officials basically let the CB's mug the WR's in the playoffs the teams with the strong rushing attacks prevailed. I would love to pair a strong powerful RB with Singletary and win games by pounding teams into the ground. If our focus is to get another good RB, 2 big WR's, a pass rushing DE and another good CB we are definitely going back to the playoffs.

A RB like Gore in his prime would make this team so fun to watch. The only problem is RB's like Gore don't come around too often and are top 10 picks.

Agreed.

Gore was a great back for a long time. Heck, I’d take Frank Gore with 6 months off on fresh legs at the one yard line trying to score. Problem was Frank can’t bounce back anymore from week to week. 
Singletary was had in the third round. There will be plenty of backs out there to pick from in that 70-100 pick range. I think Beane will find us another one.

4 hours ago, Mickey said:

Unfortunately, he is a liability in pass pro. I think the coaches are going to be caught in a constant no-win situation with him. We lose a great play maker when he is not on the field but when in pass pro he is going to get Josh killed. I don't know that all the coaching in the world is going to enable a guy who is 5'-7" to take on a blitzing backer at 6'-2", 245. Physics.

It can be done....

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I like what the Falcons did in 2014 and 2015 when they picked Freeman and then Coleman. Freeman was a fourth round pick and Coleman was a third round pick. Both are good pass catcher and runners. Coleman is bigger but Freeman runs harder. 
I don’t think we necessarily need a totally opposite style to Singletary, just someone who can come in and get the same production.

Fair assessment : )

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

getting that extra couple yards by pure willpower.
Fred J comes to mind.

Any thought about an outside the tackles type of player.
Nothing against Yeldon. But something like that but x2 ?
perhaps a waterbug type of player who has good dance moves.......

Thinking we should have 3 solid runners. two who can play teams to be efficient with the roster.

But Run and or catch 1stly.
If Daboll leaves i wonder if they change up method much. Lee Smith and DiMarco come to mind.

pleased how Devin is chugging along so far !

Plenty of backs in the draft. I think a fair amount of us have a player or two we’d like to see Beane draft as well as presumed FA fits. I’m not exactly sure what skill set they’re going to look for exactly aside from a Barkley clone which isn’t an option. I think a relatively big back with burst and 3rd down value is what they’ll be after, but I’m not sure that they’re after a pure hammer. Considering recent trends I wouldn’t be surprised if they went for completing the cycle on future HOF backs and nabbed Peterson.

7 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Agreed.

Gore was a great back for a long time. Heck, I’d take Frank Gore with 6 months off on fresh legs at the one yard line trying to score. Problem was Frank can’t bounce back anymore from week to week. 
Singletary was had in the third round. There will be plenty of backs out there to pick from in that 70-100 pick range. I think Beane will find us another one.

The Seahawks got Chris Carson in the 7th, Denver got Philip Lindsay in the 6th and Legarette Blount was an UDFA.  There are lots of good RBs to be had on day 3.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

This is the thing with Devin

YES he is a stud

But

I also understand why they dont work horse him......the guy is not very big.   I would really like to see them pair Devin up with a huge beastly breakaway speed back  this next season......not to steal his carries just to keep him fresh.

I think Devin is special what a awesome 3rd round pick

My thoughts exactly and I have been on record saying as much. We can go a few directions imo...make a play for Derrick Henry of draft one of the bruising backs that will be there for us, hopefully! 

16 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

This is the thing with Devin

YES he is a stud

But

I also understand why they dont work horse him......the guy is not very big.   I would really like to see them pair Devin up with a huge beastly breakaway speed back  this next season......not to steal his carries just to keep him fresh.

I think Devin is special what a awesome 3rd round pick

I too want a complimentary speedster.  We disagree on size, he is short not small.  

5 hours ago, mannc said:

The Seahawks got Chris Carson in the 7th, Denver got Philip Lindsay in the 6th and Legarette Blount was an UDFA.  There are lots of good RBs to be had on day 3.

Agreed, maybe a stud will go crazy and punch someone between now and the draft.  Don't think Beane drafts that guy though.  

• Haha (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

13 carries, with the lead for over 50 minutes.  Still can't believe we stopped running. Smh.

That is bad. 
Daboll, or Sean, can over think things. Once in the playoffs it’s win today. Don’t worry about saving Singletary for next game or year. 
Next draft get his running mate, and this will be a moot point.

2 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

He has a tendency to do that, but on this topic he's wrong.

Daboll HATES continuing to do what works in the name of being cutesy.

Yep, over thinks it. Some games he runs same play several times from the same formation because it worked the first time. 

15 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

@GunnerBill disagrees. 

Hahaha. No I don't.

I have said every time I have discussed this topic that the playcalling in the 2nd half and OT was not balanced enough and we got away from the run. Should have given it to Singletary more. I have not disputed that anywhere. What I have objected to is the suggestion that was the main reason we lost. The main reason we lost is catchers got to catch and blockers got to block. They were not hard plays we left on the field. They were plays that at this level, you gotta have.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

The highest in the NFL this year was 303 carries and there's several workhorse RBs in the league.

Singletary was very much the “workhorse” in college. He led the NCAA in 2017 with 301 carries and was 7th his senior year with 261 carries. The NFL is obviously different than college, but Singletary’s history of being a featured back who gets many touches each game is consistent with other backs in the NFL who are considered “workhorses.”  

• Like (+1) 1