Baldy's Breakdown of Singletary vs. Texans

UB2SF

18 hours ago, Mickey said:

Unfortunately, he is a liability in pass pro. I think the coaches are going to be caught in a constant no-win situation with him. We lose a great play maker when he is not on the field but when in pass pro he is going to get Josh killed. I don't know that all the coaching in the world is going to enable a guy who is 5'-7" to take on a blitzing backer at 6'-2", 245. Physics.

He’ll learn to improve in time. I never thought was good at pass pro either.  Don’t forget they often have DiMarco out there with Singletary and can block well.  Lastly, it’s almost assured we’re looking for Gore replacement this off season and will want a guy like Carson or Henry.

I know Arizona is open to a trade for Johnson and he is a bruiser as well.

19 hours ago, Mickey said:

Unfortunately, he is a liability in pass pro. I think the coaches are going to be caught in a constant no-win situation with him. We lose a great play maker when he is not on the field but when in pass pro he is going to get Josh killed. I don't know that all the coaching in the world is going to enable a guy who is 5'-7" to take on a blitzing backer at 6'-2", 245. Physics.

You’re kind of right, but proper technique can overcome his physical limitations. The idea is to chip the rusher, and by an extra second. The RB in situations like that isn’t being asked to contain the rusher and create a lane. They’re the last line of defense before you get over run. Like most rookie RB’s, pass protection is the biggest area to improve from season 1, to 2. I feel he will develop just fine in the offseason, and not be a liability on passing downs come next season. 

19 hours ago, Mickey said:

I think he can only improve his pass pro/blitz pick up skill set, can’t really get worse than his rookie year.  Hopefully he grows by leaps and bounds in this department and we can see some hits like this in his future.

FredEx blasts JJ Watt

Edited by Dirtyd415
Can’t get the GIF to post in message

2 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

13 carries, with the lead for over 50 minutes.  Still can't believe we stopped running. Smh.

He was still involved in the passing game, I mean he did make that great catch and run on 3rd and 9 before the downs that lead to the Cody Ford penalty call.

Devin with Eno Benjamin would be a formidable running attack. The Motor is really good and cant wait to feature him in the years to come but the more people that can do good things with the ball the better. 

30 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

He was still involved in the passing game, I mean he did make that great catch and run on 3rd and 9 before the downs that lead to the Cody Ford penalty call.

Ya he was involved and had a cpl big catches. I'm still mind boggled how we stop running him with a 2 score lead most of the game! He was on fire. He just looked so locked in , I can't comprehend why we didn't feed him , keep clock running, defense dominating. Makes Zero sense to me. 

I know the Texans were probably assuming we go run heavy and I guess we didn't want to be predictable butt it's the playoffs , you're going to have to run when they're expecting it at some point in a playoff run and ur RB is in the zone! 13 carries, just unacceptable

19 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

He has all offseason to work on that and not needing to learn a new playbook and terminology he'll have the time. I have no doubt he'll do just that.

And if he's horrible in pass pro, don't have him do it. Have him run a route, if they're in man someone will need to cover him. If it's a blitz, you've got one extra safety valve option for Josh to dump it off to. 

I know it's not quite that simple. But there are ways of ensuring he's useful to have on the field. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/10/2020 at 10:00 AM, Dirtyd415 said:

I think he can only improve his pass pro/blitz pick up skill set, can’t really get worse than his rookie year.  Hopefully he grows by leaps and bounds in this department and we can see some hits like this in his future.

FredEx blasts JJ Watt

Fred Jackson 6"-1", 216 > Devin Singletary 5'-7", 210

I hope you are right but at his size, I am not optimistic.