Baldy's Breakdown of Singletary vs. Texans

UB2SF

1 hour ago, Mickey said:

Unfortunately, he is a liability in pass pro. I think the coaches are going to be caught in a constant no-win situation with him. We lose a great play maker when he is not on the field but when in pass pro he is going to get Josh killed. I don't know that all the coaching in the world is going to enable a guy who is 5'-7" to take on a blitzing backer at 6'-2", 245. Physics.

Pass protection for a rookie RB is every rookies weakness. The hope is he grows and learns to cut and "get ran over slowly". You just need a guy that can get enough to buy allen time.

1 minute ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

The highest in the NFL this year was 303 carries and there's several workhorse RBs in the league.

Hey it’s whatever floats your boat. But look what happen to most of these high usage backs. David Johnson, Gurley, Gordon, Lamar Miller, all high usage guys when they were fresh into the league and all injured and not as explosive after high volumed seasons 

1 hour ago, Mickey said:

Unfortunately, he is a liability in pass pro. I think the coaches are going to be caught in a constant no-win situation with him. We lose a great play maker when he is not on the field but when in pass pro he is going to get Josh killed. I don't know that all the coaching in the world is going to enable a guy who is 5'-7" to take on a blitzing backer at 6'-2", 245. Physics.

He's a rookie, he can go from useless and terrible at blitz pickup to amazing at it with some experience.  Give it time

20 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Hey it’s whatever floats your boat. But look what happen to most of these high usage backs. David Johnson, Gurley, Gordon, Lamar Miller, all high usage guys when they were fresh into the league and all injured and not as explosive after high volumed seasons 

Whatever floats my boat lol? This decade there's only been 1 RB that even approached 400 carries and that was Murray in 2014 with 392. Only 1 other time did someone hit 350 this decade. I'm not the one that use the 400 carries as an example, you did.  I think Devin could handle 18-20 carries a game, which is a workhorse RB in today's NFL.

1 minute ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Whatever floats my boat lol? This decade there's only been 1 RB that even approached 400 carries and that was Murray in 2014 with 392. Only 1 other time did someone hit 350 this decade. I'm not the one that use the 400 carries as an example, you did.  I think Devin could handle 18-20 carries a game, which is a workhorse RB in today's NFL.

Well I said 400 touches originally. But the way we use him he doesn’t get many touches receiving. 
So that’s why I later said 25 carries a game equaling 400 carries in a season. I think you’re missing the point, he needs to be in some form on committee if you want him to stay effective in the future. It’s not about what he can do, it’s about sustaining it. Young guys who receive too much volume fade fast. There’s success stories of course but many more failure stories. 
So ideally you would want Devin in a committee with 1-2 other effective backs. Keeps everyone fresh and healthy and gives the team the option to ride the hot hand when someone has a bad game. 

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I don’t think it’s wise for any running back to get more than 400 touches in a season. They burn out too fast that way. 25 touches a game isn’t bad if used in the passing game. We don’t use him much in the pass game. 25 runs is 400 carries in a season. Guys are never quite the same with those kinds of workloads in today’s nfl 

I think 15-20 carries is the sweet spot for him. Then have another back take 10ish.

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

This kid is so special and is is downright criminal that he was not used MORE in the game

You can thank our moron OC. 

Just now, MJS said:

I think 15-20 carries is the sweet spot for him. Then have another back take 10ish.

Give 10 carries to Najee Harris....

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Mickey said:

its true

How tall was/is Fred ?

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

Absolutely. The pricing and value of rookie running backs every team should want 1 main guy with 2 others capable of stepping up 

3 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Or since the beginning of the season.

If he has trouble blocking up the blitz , not easy to keep him when running option plays.. Tough situation for an OC.

I think he should have pase more to Gore in the flats or checked down to him 

1 minute ago, UB2SF said:

6'1", I believe

No way : )

2 minutes ago, UB2SF said:

6'1", I believe

Height 6′ 1″, Weight 216 lbs

I apologize UB

1 minute ago, artmalibu said:

and he only had 13 carries in the game, and none in overtime!?

now that was a sin !

52 minutes ago, dbfla10 said:

Pass protection for a rookie RB is every rookies weakness. The hope is he grows and learns to cut and "get ran over slowly". You just need a guy that can get enough to buy allen time.

awesome !

lol

and you are correct

2 hours ago, Mickey said:

That's not necessarily true.  He did miss a block against the Texans.  But he's made some good blocks too.  Go watch that Dallas game again. And I'm not in on that physics argument.  Where that LB would be coming from on a blitz, and from a standing start at that, shouldn't put Singletary at a disadvantage big enough to make him a liability; if his technique is solid.

Edited by purple haze

3 hours ago, Mickey said:

...so far as a rook......can't it be a major point to work on?............

4 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Bingo.

its why Beane will draft another back mid rounds and bring in a vet in FA or use Yeldon that way.

they will bring in another via the late draft or UDFA, or waiver wire. But what type compliments this offense with Devin as the feature back?