Baldy's Breakdown of Singletary vs. Texans

UB2SF

49 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

This kid is so special and is is downright criminal that he was not used MORE in the game

Unfortunately, he is a liability in pass pro. I think the coaches are going to be caught in a constant no-win situation with him. We lose a great play maker when he is not on the field but when in pass pro he is going to get Josh killed. I don't know that all the coaching in the world is going to enable a guy who is 5'-7" to take on a blitzing backer at 6'-2", 245. Physics.

Edited by Mickey
  • Like (+1) 2

Beane mentioned that Singletary's setback with the hammy was unfortunate.  Have to wonder if he ever fully healed and if not, they limited his touches for a reason other than Daboll forgot him.  And I could understand that reason given the OC's penchant for the aerial game.

This is the thing with Devin

YES he is a stud

But

I also understand why they dont work horse him......the guy is not very big.   I would really like to see them pair Devin up with a huge beastly breakaway speed back  this next season......not to steal his carries just to keep him fresh.

I think Devin is special what a awesome 3rd round pick

• Like (+1) 8

4 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Beane mentioned that Singletary's setback with the hammy was unfortunate.  Have to wonder if he ever fully healed and if not, they limited his touches for a reason other than Daboll forgot him.  And I could understand that reason given the OC's penchant for the aerial game.

I think they went to Gore out of fear. They took the conservative approach, believing they can trust the vet more with ball security. 

I also think that's why they went conservative at points with the lead during the season, fear of Allen turning it over-- more so that a hardened conservative philosophy. 

Edited by Motorin'

17 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

I think they went to Gore out of fear. They took the conservative approach, believing they can trust the vet more with ball security. 

I also think that's why they went conservative at points with the lead during the season, fear of Allen turning it over-- more so that a hardened conservative philosophy. 

If you count up all the near misses Allen had in terms of turnovers it is scary, he easily could have had three fumbles and 3 picks, one a pick 6.

Allen had almost twice as many fumbles this year as the entire New Orleans Saint team had in total turnovers

49 minutes ago, Mickey said:

Unfortunately, he is a liability in pass pro. I think the coaches are going to be caught in a constant no-win situation with him. We lose a great play maker when he is not on the field but when in pass pro he is going to get Josh killed. I don't know that all the coaching in the world is going to enable a guy who is 5'-7" to take on a blitzing backer at 6'-2", 245. Physics.

He has all offseason to work on that and not needing to learn a new playbook and terminology he'll have the time. I have no doubt he'll do just that.

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS

Singletary is a shifty guy and gets the job done. I don’t think he’s capable of being a workhorse kinda back though. 25-30 touches a game might have him out of the league in 2-3 years the way we use him. I didn’t think he was capable of those really tough yards he’s getting and I’m 110% impressed with his rookie season. He has a really bright future so hopefully we get someone to compliment his game and can have a solid duo 

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Singletary is a shifty guy and gets the job done. I don’t think he’s capable of being a workhorse kinda back though. 25-30 touches a game might have him out of the league in 2-3 years the way we use him. I didn’t think he was capable of those really tough yards he’s getting and I’m 110% impressed with his rookie season. He has a really bright future so hopefully we get someone to compliment his game and can have a solid duo 

He's 2 inches shorter & 9 pounds lighter than Gore, why don't you think he can be our workhorse?

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, ticketssince61 said:

Has great moves and power, but lacks breakaway speed  - so never will be an elite RB

Lev Bell doesn't really have "breakaway speed" but because of how patient and disciplined a runner he is in addition to how dynamic his receiving was he became one of the most productive backs in recent memory. Not saying Singletary can be that type of back but that you don't need elite speed to be a dynamic back. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mickey said:

Thurman was 5'9".  He can be coached!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

He's 2 inches shorter & 9 pounds lighter than Gore, why don't you think he can be our workhorse?

I don’t think it’s wise for any running back to get more than 400 touches in a season. They burn out too fast that way. 25 touches a game isn’t bad if used in the passing game. We don’t use him much in the pass game. 25 runs is 400 carries in a season. Guys are never quite the same with those kinds of workloads in today’s nfl 

2 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I don’t think it’s wise for any running back to get more than 400 touches in a season. They burn out too fast that way. 25 touches a game isn’t bad if used in the passing game. We don’t use him much in the pass game. 25 runs is 400 carries in a season. Guys are never quite the same with those kinds of workloads in today’s nfl 

The highest in the NFL this year was 303 carries and there's several workhorse RBs in the league.