MR8's Ideal Off-Season

MR8

I like it for the most part - 

Don't understand getting rid of kroft and replacing him with no one. I'd rather cut smith and save 2.25.  Smith sucks... Krofts been hurt but hes at least a versatile player.  

Prob also do mckenzie at original round and save some money.  He can't nail down an every day spot on a team if he's not returning punts/kicks.  Ray ray on the practice squad is a very similar player too.  

Yeldons interesting because he wasn't bad when in games.  He's also pretty cheap.  Depends how they roll in the draft, but he should make camp.  Especially with wade being a complete wildcard.  

5 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I love the Yannick addition, but I fear the Jags will tag him, etc. 

That said, we absolutley need a TE in FA.  Getting Hooper or Hunter will provide two great Big targets for Allen.  That quickly changes the offensive dynamic.  I'd also get Conklin, and put Ford at OG.  Ford is not a OT.   Speaking of offense, I'd keep Yeldon, remind Daboll that he is better than Gore and has great hands, and also draft a RB.  That's a good backfield with Yeldon, Singletary and rookie. 

I agree on the TE front.  2 solid TEs helps move away from dimarco in run heavy fronts and allows more mis-matches.  

I'm fine with getting rid of yeldon, but we need to replace him beyond a rookie and a rugby player.  Id stay away from some of the more expensiev guys - Henry, Drake, Gordon.  But Howard would be an interesting piece to add.  Mckinnon will probably get cut, and should be a nice cheap versatile player when healthy.  Rex Burkhead might hit free agency too with the patriots needing cap space - and him being a majority special teams player.  

Just don't bring back gore... or tolbert.  

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

I understand what you are saying but you don't bench someone the entire season because of a preseason fumble. He looked ok coming off the bench vs the Jets. What's the point of bringing him in? He was more effective on hitting the edge than Gore was.

Yeah, I understand. I get the sense alot of it had to do with behind the scenes--how he did in practice, in the meetings, etc. I think every coach in the building knew Yeldon could get to the edge better than Gore. The only explanation is that Gore was in for ball security, and they did not think Yeldon could give them that. 

39 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I am cool with all of that, minus giving yannick 100 million. We do need some pass rush but he is nowhere near 100 million dollar man. I know he can get that in free agency but yikes I hope it’s not us. His numbers outside of 2017 do not scream up and comer 20 million a year for me. I went through his stats this season and tried to rewatch some Jag games to see why he is so hyped on here. I can’t see it. He’s invisible in the games I looked at. (Denver, Atlanta, and Tampa were the only ones I could see most of) 

Im no professional evaluator but what I seen is a guy who screams off the edge and is mostly just pushed 5 yards past the pocket and struggles to ever make an inside move. Similar to Hughes of old if he can’t come all the way around to get the quarterback there’s a giant pocket created to step up into for the quarterback to throw unless the DT is penetrating in that area. I am hopeful of a draft pick to make a pass rushing impact. 
Just because he’s the top rated rusher doesn’t always mean it’s a good move. They know they have to address it and I expect they will. Maybe he’s the guy, just not someone I would personally target for that much 

For $20MM/per I want a player that’s better against the run. At that price the boo parade is going to be intolerable when he fails to keep contain. I’d honestly rather go DE in the 1st and resign Shaq or grab Arik Armstead. Outside zone runs are one of our defensive weaknesses.... no need to add to that with a cap squeezing player. 

12 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

Good work, I like Yannick but I don’t love him at 20m per. I think LB is a much bigger need than many of us want to admit. I expect a serious LB in the draft or FA. 

My only complaint would be on Phillips, I don’t know why so many fans are ok with him leaving at that 9-10 million range. Plenty of people have spent time defending Star’s contract but we aren’t willing to pay a disruptive DT?

#wewantPhillips

I disagree, we spent most of our defensive snaps in 4-2-5... Most of Zo's snaps came at DE or DT versus traditional LBer.  The 3 down LBers are already on the team with Milano and Edmunds, so I think they can get rotational help elsewhere.  Pass rush is a bigger need as thats why Zo was dropped down to the line, and CB on the outside opposite Tre is a big concern.  We have good depth guys at CB but not a #2 starter.  

For my money if you're going to be rolling 5 DBs on the field and only 2 LBers for 70+ percent of your snaps, it's more important to have a 3 down CB opposite Trey than a 3 down LBer who will be riding the pine behind Edmunds and Milano on most snaps. 

For DT... I won't defend Star's contract I want that fat useless turd cut, but McDermott likes him and cutting him saves relatively little against the cap with a $7.4M dead cap hit and only $2.6M in savings.  If you make that move you're doing it because you think Star did a terrible job, and I don't think McDermott would say that.  I like Phillips a lot, but I think he will be allowed to walk, the rotation will be Star, H. Phillips, Oliver (who will play the role of penetrating D-Line), and a new rotational player either FA or mid/late draft pick.

I prefer keeping Phillips but I am not seeing a way they spend that much money on him.  If they keep him I'll be very happy, but he is keeping Oliver on the bench and Oliver was a high draft pick.  They play the same role, so maybe they want to let Phillips go so Oliver can grab the reigns?  

I dunno, we'll see.... you can't have too many good playmakers, but I can see where you need to prioritize your money. 

Just now, John from Riverside said:

Spain was the weakest link on the line?

Worst rated by PFF of all our linemen, even worse than Ford... His ratings in 2019 were comparable to Jordan Mills in 2018.

Just now, MR8 said:

Worst rated by PFF of all our linemen, even worse than Ford... His ratings in 2019 were comparable to Jordan Mills in 2018.

Did he even give up a sack all year?

I am not even saying he is going to be back because I think he is gonna want to get paid and Ford would fit in nicely into that spot......but Spain was not bad for us this year.......Ford (and that is my boy) was worse.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I am not even saying he is going to be back because I think he is gonna want to get paid and Ford would fit in nicely into that spot......but Spain was not bad for us this year.......Ford (and that is my boy) was worse.

Nope, he didn't give up one. I chuckled at the thought of him being the worst. Clearly our rookie was the weakest link.

• Like (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

Good work, I like Yannick but I don’t love him at 20m per. I think LB is a much bigger need than many of us want to admit. I expect a serious LB in the draft or FA. 

My only complaint would be on Phillips, I don’t know why so many fans are ok with him leaving at that 9-10 million range. Plenty of people have spent time defending Star’s contract but we aren’t willing to pay a disruptive DT?

#wewantPhillips

I would transition tag Phillips. It would be one year for around 13 million. See if he can remain productive. If he leaves after 2020 maybe we get a comp pick. 

1 hour ago, MR8 said:

I would draft a C to replace Morse, but not tomorrow, not necessarily in 2022 either... but long term.  Get a guy in there like Hanson who is raw and needs a year at the NFL Level playing OG before he can play center anyways.  Eric Wood played OG his rookie year...

Wasn't too fond of your idea to replace Morse either but this is an idea I can get behind and something I expect Beane to be looking at during the offseason given how much he values flexibility and the next man up ideology. Definitely want Morse at center, he's smart enough to call out protections and take pressure off Josh but doesn't hurt to find someone who can easily fill in during an injury. 

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Spain was generally the cause of some of those free rushers coming through IMO. 
There were quite a few plays Dawkins or Morse were overwhelmed or didn’t get to their guy in time because they were covering for Spain being slow off the snap and beaten badly. They helped for a moment and would end up losing their own guy . He’s a fantastic run guy but nowhere near as solid against the pass. It’s just that first move he struggles with. I’m pretty sure Spain was always going to be a one year guy here, it was win win for him and the team. He filled the void and boosted his value quite a bit. 

2 hours ago, MR8 said:

Yes I am planning to let Shaq Lawson walk in this off-season plan. Not because I don't like him, but because I plan to go big game hunting in FA for a DE and I don't think they can afford to kick $25M to a DE and re-sign Shaq for the estimated $8M he will want. IMHO Either you keep Shaq and go get a DE or your keep Phillips and go get a DE, you can't pay both of them. So I chose to pay Phillips, but it could easily go the other way.

I'd keep Shaq and let Phillips walk.   He'll want more than $30 million and with Star (and eventually Oliver) that's too much to allocate to DT.   Harry will be coming back next year and Liuget was serviceable.  Add a mid-round draft pick or mid-tier FA (Danny Shelton) and that should fill the position pretty well.      

Signing Shaq shouldn't be as expensive and would be a good counterbalance with Yannick in run support. 

2 hours ago, MR8 said:

Jack Conklin OT (4 Years - $42M)
Conklin's 4th year option was not picked up by Tenesee but he played very well this year with a 78.2 PFF grade and was solid in both pass protection and run protection for Derek Henry. If he hits the open market as a RT, he will be in demand and may cost more than what I have up there, but if we're kicking Ford inside we should lock up a good young OT to solidify the line for a few years to come.

I like Conklin but his injury history is a concern.    He missed games in 2017 and 2018.   And as McD likes to say, 'availability' is the greatest ability some of these guys have.   It would be a real roll of the dice.

Edited by Lurker

2 hours ago, Starr Almighty said:

That RB room looks unimpressive. I'd love to let Dimarco take a walk the guy does nothing for the team.

Any te on this team can play fb...get rid of Patrick "Kelsay" Dimarco...eventually intelligence has to trump loyalty. I'd replace Lee Smith with any hungry 6th round TE.

Draft Najee Harris in the 3rd.

Edited by LABILLBACKER

Right now I’d say the Bills go heavy after 3 premiere FA’s................

Conklin

Hooper

Clowney

Shaq being the only re-signee 

and call it a day in terms of FA.

Then concentrate on the draft.

And then fill out the roster with bargain-basement type FA’s.

Finally, work on extensions for Dawkins, Milano and White.

The Bills go into 2020 as one of the SB favorites under this scenario.

4 hours ago, MR8 said:

We need to lock down the O-Line. Dawkins returned to his rookie form, and could be in line for an extension per Beane saying he wanted to meet with all the guys in their 3rd year. Morse played well, definitely an leaps and bounds improvement over the previous year, but he still isn't 100% right from his head injuries. I would consider looking at C in the draft early but have that kid play OG instead to start so he can get up to NFL speed next to Morse and eventually be his replacement. I said the same thing in 2019 wanting the Bills to draft Erick McCoy, and I still think it.

Sorry to cherry pick a small part of a post you obviously put thought and effort into, but this is very, I would say critically, important: What is your evidence that Morse is not 100% right from his head injuries?

This is, IMO, of critical importance given the critical importance of the Center position.

2 hours ago, MR8 said:

Please explain the rationale for using PFF ratings to evaluate linemen.  Thanks!