Roster turnover for playoff teams - ESPN

Hebert19

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28447985/predicting-roster-turnover-all-12-nfl-playoff-teams-which-players-move

Cannot get over what a marvelous job beane and McDermott have done.  We have an average of 60M more in cap space than the other 11 playoff teams and 20+ million more than the next closest team.   With no QB payday coming for a couple years we can continue to build a strong roster without breaking the bank.  Crazy to think we had 50M in dead cap 2 years ago.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

It was an impressive job finding hidden talent and also not breaking the bank for solid contributors. I know we’re all disappointed with that ugly loss but the overhaul on the offensive side of the ball and the first year together is still a success despite the inconsistencies. Basically all of the signings and draft picks are contributors on this team not just this past season but for 2-3 seasons going forward. If Beane does it again this offseason and gets another 8-10 players who contribute or play higher than their expectations we will have another fun season to watch 

• Like (+1) 7

17 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

It was an impressive job finding hidden talent and also not breaking the bank for solid contributors. I know we’re all disappointed with that ugly loss but the overhaul on the offensive side of the ball and the first year together is still a success despite the inconsistencies. Basically all of the signings and draft picks are contributors on this team not just this past season but for 2-3 seasons going forward. If Beane does it again this offseason and gets another 8-10 players who contribute or play higher than their expectations we will have another fun season to watch 

Bottom line, we were one missed block/toe tap/phantom penalty call away from being in KC this weekend.  Things are good and should only get better.

• Like (+1) 8

The past coaching tried to build a team without having a QB, and you just can't do that in the NFL.  I just think there was so much pressure to win now.  I feel like you can address any position in free agency except QB.  I away thought  they should draft  2 quarterback every year till they find 1.   I like Josh, but I don't know if he is the second coming of Jim Kelly?  I really  hope he is. 

33 minutes ago, clearwater cadet said:

The past coaching tried to build a team without having a QB, and you just can't do that in the NFL.  I just think there was so much pressure to win now.  I feel like you can address any position in free agency except QB.  I away thought  they should draft  2 quarterback every year till they find 1.   I like Josh, but I don't know if he is the second coming of Jim Kelly?  I really  hope he is. 

That would make no sense at all. If you keep drafting QB's how do you develop one?  If you have a QB battle every year how do you develop him with having to constantly split reps with 2-3 other guys?

• Like (+1) 3

48 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Careful, you are going to rile the "they didn't need to tear it down...can't believe they got rid of Dareus, Watkins, (fill in the blank)" crowd...

This is such a frustrating take. Cap hell is not just about dead cap space, it is about having your entire cap filled by players that aren't getting you where you need to go, all while sacrificing flexibility/the ability to bring in FAs. 

• Like (+1) 3

"...but few teams in the league would have more invested on the interior if Buffalo does re-sign Phillips."

Which is why I think it's a good possibility they pass on Phillips and re-sign Lawson to a workable deal.    That would be just too much $$$/assets allocated to the interior DL (even if it will be a few more years before Oliver gets paid).   

They seemed to get a lot out of Liuget who was a street FA.    Having Harry back and maybe a mid-level draftee might be enough here.    And if it comes down to keeping Star or Phillips, I suspect McBeane go with Star and let Jordan walk...

The Bills are in an incredible position to move forward from. 

With another good draft, some good free agent acquisitions and some money spent locking up our key guys, we'll be in a great position to contribute at a high level for the next 3-4 years (or more). 

• Like (+1) 3

24 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

With another good draft, some good free agent acquisitions and some money spent locking up our key guys, we'll be in a great position to contribute at a high level for the next 3-4 years (or more). 

This is true  , but the one and the most important component needs to take a big step forward next year , and I have no doubt that he will  , I really believe next season ( even with a much harder schedule) will put the Bills on a map , and anything less then winning the division and FINALLY having a home playoff game will be a disappointment !!! 

I cant wait for free agency / draft to get here ALREADY !!!

AS ALWAYS GO BILLS !!! 

Edited by Putin

1 minute ago, Putin said:

This is true  , but the one and the most important component needs to take a big step forward next year , and I have no doubt that he will  , I really believe next season ( even with a much harder schedule) will put the Bills on a map , and anything less then winning the division and FINALLY having a home playoff game will be a disappointment !!! 

I cant wait for free agency / draft to get here ALREADY !!!

AS ALWAYS GO BILLS !!! 

The Bills need to knock it out of the park this offseason, and guys like Allen, Ford and Knox need to take a big step next year. 

This year we played one of the easiest schedules in the league. Next year we play one of the hardest. 

This year we got some good experience under our belt, and the defense proved it's elite, but to win the division next year the whole thing needs to come together, with the D continuing to rank top 5, the offense moving into the top half of the league and the special teams unit maintaining more consistency. 

Keeping things as is won't be enough. We need meaningful reinforcements and our young guys need to take a big step forward. 

34 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I think the hope is that Josh progresses during those 3-4 years to the point that you then can spend less money trying to surround him with top-level talent, and spend the extra money extending that window from 4 years to 15.

50 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

That would make no sense at all. If you keep drafting QB's how do you develop one?  If you have a QB battle every year how do you develop him with having to constantly split reps with 2-3 other guys?

I'm all for developing one, but I think you have to find one first.  I'm somewhat comfortable with Josh, but if I'm the Jets or Browns in not comfortable with there situation.  Cardinal seemed to realize that all the reps in the word were going to help Rosen. 

Edited by clearwater cadet