Where former NYS residents move to

Maybe Cuomo figures borrowing $3 Billion for environmental projects will bring them back ?

Like how he vowed SolarCity will be a game changer for Buffalo employment.

Maybe Ciminelli is getting into the environmental business ?

• Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Solar City would make one helluva bowling alley.  Replace all those smaller commercial lanes and parish hall alleys we’ve lost over time.

Sheridan Lanes.

RocMar.

Bailey Bowling Academy

Allied Lanes

Any idea if this one is still open? https://www.bowlingfirst.com/bowling-alley/new-york/bennington-lanes-attica/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=bennington-lanes-attica

10 minutes ago, T&C said:

Still shows as active.  An entry for January 9th mentioned something about bluegrass.  I don’t have Bookface, but their page seems very active.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Solar City would make one helluva bowling alley.  Replace all those smaller commercial lanes and parish hall alleys we’ve lost over time.

Sheridan Lanes.

RocMar.

Bailey Bowling Academy

Allied Lanes

But Sunset Lanes in West Seneca... On (Old) French has been there forever.  I am 51 and I can't remember it not being there.

Personally, born / raised in Buffalo area (Lancaster).  College in Rochester.  Worked 10 years in Texas, 8 years in North Carolina, and have lived in Ohio 20 years.  Parents live in the Ocala FL area (The Villages) and can take it / leave it, sister lives in Jacksonville FL (been there30? years).

There is no perfect place - either to live in or move to.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 1/12/2020 at 8:24 PM, Gray Beard said:

If you go to the “by county” view, people who live in the counties that border on other states tend to move over the border. Taxes. 

I lived in Seattle for a number of years. Washington  State had no income tax BUT they made up for it in enough other ways to negate that advantage.  Many people in Portland Oregon, live in Washing State for the above reason.  Oregon has no state sales tax so a lot of people from Washington drive to Oregon to by big screen TV's etc.

Used to see a similar thing in Buffalo where retirees go to Canada for RX drugs while the Canadians come to the US for dental and doc visits. Not sure if that still applies now that entering Canada is more complicated.

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 8:27 PM, /dev/null said:

even after leaving NYS they're still voting Democrat

I am not so sure of this wrt North Carolina (and perhaps even SC).

In NC, so many retired police officers and firefighters are down there that they have started numerous clubs. They help newcomers with getting medical care that takes their insurance, and many other issues. There are thousands of members in these clubs.

Imo (and I could easily be wrong), NYC and other retirees actually helped swing the electoral vote in NC to Trump. Remember, Obama carried NC twice.

10 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

I lived in Seattle for a number of years. Washington  State had no income tax BUT they made up for it in enough other ways to negate that advantage.  Many people in Portland Oregon, live in Washing State for the above reason.  Oregon has no state sales tax so a lot of people from Washington drive to Oregon to by big screen TV's etc.

Used to see a similar thing in Buffalo where retirees go to Canada for RX drugs while the Canadians come to the US for dental and doc visits. Not sure if that still applies now that entering Canada is more complicated.

Yeah, most states are gonna get theirs one way or another.  NYS is criminal though.  Top third in everything I believe (median sales tax, median property tax, median income tax).

On 1/12/2020 at 8:24 PM, Gray Beard said:

If you go to the “by county” view, people who live in the counties that border on other states tend to move over the border. Taxes. 

I disagree. It's a simplistic take that supports prejudices but there's no evidence to support it in this article.  First, this study didn't investigate why people moved.  Secondly, the states bordering New York -- Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey -- are hardly tax havens themselves.

The biggest reason people relocate from one area to another whether in or out of state is employment/business/career opportunity.   it's why most Americans have always moved, starting with when they or their ancestors packed up and left the Old World.  I lived in the Albany area (30 miles from both Vermont and Massachusetts) for more than a decade and I've lived in Chautauqua County (Jamestown is 10 miles from PA) for 20+ years, and haven't met anybody who actually moved to any of those states that because of  taxes.  Lots of people talked about doing that but none of them actually carried through with it.  Most of the people I know who moved from New York to Vermont, Massachusetts or Pennsylvania moved because they got jobs in those states that weren't within easy commuting distance from their NY homes, just like people from Jamestown moving to Buffalo or Rochester for jobs or people from New York City moving to Albany because of jobs.

The second biggest reason people relocate is quality of life issues, which are frequently housing affordability, schools,  weather etc.  It's why Americans from northern states have moved south and west for decades.  That's especially true of people in the NYC metro, which accounts for more than half of New York State's population.  Housing affordability is significantly better in New Jersey and Pennsylvania than in NYC or its New York suburbs like Westchester or Long Island, and the commutes are shorter from NJ and PA than from NY areas like Orange County or the mid Hudson Valley where housing affordability becomes comparable.  Public schools in suburban New Jersey or in Pennsylvania, like public schools in suburban New York tend to be generally better than public schools in NYC or its boroughs.  Not having to shell out for pricey private school tuition is a significant motivator for families with children to move to suburban areas.

I think that even among retirees who relocate, taxes are not a primary motivator.  I think quality of life considerations -- frequently weather, life style or proximity to family -- count for considerably more.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I disagree. It's a simplistic take that supports prejudices but there's no evidence to support it in this article.  First, this study didn't investigate why people moved.  Secondly, the states bordering New York -- Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey -- are hardly tax havens themselves.

The biggest reason people relocate from one area to another whether in or out of state is employment/business/career opportunity.   it's why most Americans have always moved, starting with when they or their ancestors packed up and left the Old World.  I lived in the Albany area (30 miles from both Vermont and Massachusetts) for more than a decade and I've lived in Chautauqua County (Jamestown is 10 miles from PA) for 20+ years, and haven't met anybody who actually moved to any of those states that because of  taxes.  Lots of people talked about doing that but none of them actually carried through with it.  Most of the people I know who moved from New York to Vermont, Massachusetts or Pennsylvania moved because they got jobs in those states that weren't within easy commuting distance from their NY homes, just like people from Jamestown moving to Buffalo or Rochester for jobs or people from New York City moving to Albany because of jobs.

The second biggest reason people relocate is quality of life issues, which are frequently housing affordability, schools,  weather etc.  It's why Americans from northern states have moved south and west for decades.  That's especially true of people in the NYC metro, which accounts for more than half of New York State's population.  Housing affordability is significantly better in New Jersey and Pennsylvania than in NYC or its New York suburbs like Westchester or Long Island, and the commutes are shorter from NJ and PA than from NY areas like Orange County or the mid Hudson Valley where housing affordability becomes comparable.  Public schools in suburban New Jersey or in Pennsylvania, like public schools in suburban New York tend to be generally better than public schools in NYC or its boroughs.  Not having to shell out for pricey private school tuition is a significant motivator for families with children to move to suburban areas.

I think that even among retirees who relocate, taxes are not a primary motivator.  I think quality of life considerations -- frequently weather, life style or proximity to family -- count for considerably more.

I’m not anti NY.  I like it here.  You mention that some people move over the border for a better job.  Why are there better jobs over the border?  Business regulations and taxes in NY?  I really don’t know, I’m just wondering.  I’m just basing my thoughts on popular NY bashing propaganda.