Duke Williams Player Comparison

Protocal69

20 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

He is a gadget guy. Foster will be gone. They will sign or draft a #1 and my guess is Duke will make the team as #4

Picking at 22? Seems the draft is deep for WRs. get two lol.
If Duke does not make the team? Then likely Foster and McK do not either and we have improved talent for Allen to work with. i think it is obvious i have been a Duke homer and think his ceiling has yet to be reached with Allen.

The gadget stuff was fun for one season. lets move on.

16 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

I agree. Not really sure what the coaching staff was thinking. Outside of injury Foster never really synced with Allen like he did in 2918. Duke while raw showed he could pull in around 63% of his targets which is better than the 17% Foster managed. Both small sample sizes but it’s clear Duke can and will make more tough contested catches. 

And he made that fine block on Singletary's biggish run.
That's worth something  for sure. He plays hard all game it seemed.

I guess my the thing I have the most problem with is they

In a playoff game.......

Gave the most reps to a player........

That had been riding the bench the WHOLE YEAR.......

Even ahead of your regular starters.

I like Duke....but that should have NEVER happened.   He should have either been playing much sooner in the season or they should have been going to players that had been with Josh the whole year and using Duke in specific situations.

It makes me wonder what our OC was thinking.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/9/2020 at 7:14 PM, Scott7975 said:

Perhaps or perhaps they just misjudged the players on the team.  It wouldn't be the first time or second time and it wont be the last.  I don't believe in conspiracy so not sure why you would say that to me... except when it comes to the Refs and the NFL behind them.

I'm sorry I should have been more clear, I was speaking in general of the Coaching Conspiracy theorists, not to you.

Apologies!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I guess my the thing I have the most problem with is they

In a playoff game.......

Gave the most reps to a player........

That had been riding the bench the WHOLE YEAR.......

Even ahead of your regular starters.

I like Duke....but that should have NEVER happened.   He should have either been playing much sooner in the season or they should have been going to players that had been with Josh the whole year and using Duke in specific situations.

It makes me wonder what our OC was thinking.

Although for perspective:

Brown played 99% of offensive snaps (typical)

Beasley played 64% (lowest since week 9; was also low vs Cleveland and Baltimore 69%), usually 80-90%

Knox played 69% (typically 72-78% except Pitts 48%)

McKensie 32% (his snaps have varied from week to week, but that's the lowest since week 7)

Kroft 24% (not atypical for him, varies from 18-32% since Cleveland)

Smith 29% (he varies wildly as well, from a low of 3% vs Baltimore to a high of 48% vs Pitt)

Duke Williams played 66%, so it is more than Cole Beasley but only by two snaps (56 vs 54)

I got nothin'.

But I do agree use the players that brought you here, should be the rule.  I guess "trying to change up an offense that hadn't produced enough" made it the exception?

I just have this feeling more self-scouting of what works and what are our strengths vs. endless film scheming of the opponents, might help.  Maybe I'm totally wrong.

26 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Although for perspective:

Brown played 99% of offensive snaps (typical)

Beasley played 64% (lowest since week 9; was also low vs Cleveland and Baltimore 69%), usually 80-90%

Knox played 69% (typically 72-78% except Pitts 48%)

McKensie 32% (his snaps have varied from week to week, but that's the lowest since week 7)

Kroft 24% (not atypical for him, varies from 18-32% since Cleveland)

Smith 29% (he varies wildly as well, from a low of 3% vs Baltimore to a high of 48% vs Pitt)

Duke Williams played 66%, so it is more than Cole Beasley but only by two snaps (56 vs 54)

I got nothin'.

But I do agree use the players that brought you here, should be the rule.  I guess "trying to change up an offense that hadn't produced enough" made it the exception?

I just have this feeling more self-scouting of what works and what are our strengths vs. endless film scheming of the opponents, might help.  Maybe I'm totally wrong.

No problem on the other post....

As for the bolded... that's interesting.  Beasley lowest snap counts are in losses.  I wonder why.  Some of our wins he has had big games.  Its just some more stuff that boggles me about Daboll.  Like the play to Dimarco.  Some people blame Josh for throwing to him.  I blame Daboll for putting him on the field in 5 wide.  It makes absolutely zero sense to put out a 5 receiver set and replace your best players with your worst.

16 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

No problem on the other post....

As for the bolded... that's interesting.  Beasley lowest snap counts are in losses.  I wonder why.  Some of our wins he has had big games.  Its just some more stuff that boggles me about Daboll.  Like the play to Dimarco.  Some people blame Josh for throwing to him.  I blame Daboll for putting him on the field in 5 wide.  It makes absolutely zero sense to put out a 5 receiver set and replace your best players with your worst.

I agree with the bolded completely.  If you're going to put a player on the field in a playoff game and have him run a route, he better be someone your QB can trust to throw to.  Otherwise, what ARE you thinking as an OC and play caller?

I think Beasley having the lowest snap count in losses is like Josh has the lowest completion percentage in losses - it's a correlation, the cause is aggressive physical play that overwhelms our line and requires quick throws and decisions.   The quick routes to Beasley seems to get taken away by sufficiently physical play, and his best trait (the short area quickness that makes him always open, eventually, on secondary routes) becomes irrelevant if the pass rush is so overwhelming the secondary routes don't develop.....when Beasley is getting taken out, they take him out and try something else. 

I think.

Beas caught 4 of 5 targets for 44 yds, which is kind of median for him this season.

• Like (+1) 1

I actually have been thinking more about this offseason, and even though I really want to get one of the top WRs in the draft, with the supposed depth of this draft, it's fairly likely we go DE/LB/DL to replace Shaq/LoRax/Phillips or whichever ones are gone.

Let's be honest, McDermott values Defense more than offense.

And if we wait til the 2nd round to draft a WR... well... Duke has an offseason to get hungry and work hard on his own and with Allen, there's a very good chance he's a consistent part of this offense next season.

On 1/9/2020 at 5:25 AM, Dr.Sack said:

Not a bad comparison.

The only difference is by age 26 Boldin had 4,605 receiving yards & 20TDS compared to Duke who has 166 receiving yards & 1TD. 

No problem letting Duke compete for a roster spot but I see him as a #5 at best. He gets little separation laterally forcing him to have to lay out for separation & he can’t out run the defense deep. If you could give Foster Duke’s hands & toughness you’d have a complete WR.

If you gave Foster Duke's hands & toughness (and height probably) you'd have a HOF'er in the making. Problem is, players don't all have the best attributes combined into perfect packages.

Boldin also had almost 600 targets by age 26, so it's hard to compare his 4600 yards to Duke. If you want to extrapolate based on yards/target, Duke would actually have slightly higher yards in the same number of targets.

I realize that his lack of speed and separation doesn't lend to a lot of targets, but it's really hard to argue with the results. When Josh throws him a good pass, he almost always catches it. Watching those two connect on critical downs in the playoff game was awesome. IMO, it was the second best offensive performance to Singletary's.

On 1/9/2020 at 9:41 AM, Protocal69 said:

I was thinking recently who Duke Williams reminds me of and the conclusion I came up is Anquan Boldin. Im thinking if he could lose about 10-15 pounds and not lose his strength he would be close in physical stature and style of play.

He is how they compare:

Anquan Boldin
40 yard dash time: 4.71 4.73 seconds
Height: 6′ 1″
Weight: 216 pounds
Vertical: 33.5 inches
Broad Jump: N/A
Hand Size: 9.88"
ARM LENGTH 30.00"

DUKE WILLIAMS 
40-yard dash: 4.66 and 4.69 seconds
Height: 6′ 2″
Weight: 229 pounds
Vertical: 30 1/2 inches
Broad Jump: 9 feet, 10 inches
Hand Size: 9.25" 
ARM LENGTH 32.5 "

Draft Profile:

Big frame and usually plays to his size. 
Will post up cornerbacks down the field and uses his body to 
shield throws from defenders. Natural pass catcher with soft hands. 
Saw 82 percent of his catches go for first downs in 2014.
At his best in longer developing, intermediate routes. 
Does solid job of setting up routes with leverage points and head ­fakes.
Makes downfield catches with well­-timed hands to consistently pluck throws 
at the high­ point and will lay out to make the tough catch. 
Can grind out an extra couple of yards after the catch in order to get the 
first down. Has the size to help run game as a blocker if his care factor is
right.

As I stated above if Duke works on his body and craft in the off-season he may have a chance to increase his playing time next year

The best comp for me is Brandon Reilly. 

A small portion of the fan base is obsessed with him despite doing very little to merit it. 

• Like (+1) 1

I love Duke Williams as much as any Bills fan, and I'd love for him to be a major player as I think he has untapped potential and never got an opportunity due to poor decision making. But my issue with him, due to no fault of his own, is that he will be 27 this upcoming year and still has to learn more about the position. I'd like him to stick around, but we still need to add a major upgrade at the position

4 hours ago, ALF said:

I still want to see Duke next TC and preseason to compete for a 53 spot. 

That’s fair.  I just don’t want the Bills to depend on him for anything.  If he stays out of trouble and steps up his game, then that’ll be a nice bonus.  If not, then we will be covered.