Duke Williams Player Comparison

Protocal69

I was thinking recently who Duke Williams reminds me of and the conclusion I came up is Anquan Boldin. Im thinking if he could lose about 10-15 pounds and not lose his strength he would be close in physical stature and style of play.

He is how they compare:

Anquan Boldin
40 yard dash time: 4.71 4.73 seconds
Height: 6′ 1″
Weight: 216 pounds
Vertical: 33.5 inches
Broad Jump: N/A
Hand Size: 9.88"
ARM LENGTH 30.00"

DUKE WILLIAMS 
40-yard dash: 4.66 and 4.69 seconds
Height: 6′ 2″
Weight: 229 pounds
Vertical: 30 1/2 inches
Broad Jump: 9 feet, 10 inches
Hand Size: 9.25" 
ARM LENGTH 32.5 "

Draft Profile:

Big frame and usually plays to his size. 
Will post up cornerbacks down the field and uses his body to 
shield throws from defenders. Natural pass catcher with soft hands. 
Saw 82 percent of his catches go for first downs in 2014.
At his best in longer developing, intermediate routes. 
Does solid job of setting up routes with leverage points and head ­fakes.
Makes downfield catches with well­-timed hands to consistently pluck throws 
at the high­ point and will lay out to make the tough catch. 
Can grind out an extra couple of yards after the catch in order to get the 
first down. Has the size to help run game as a blocker if his care factor is
right.

As I stated above if Duke works on his body and craft in the off-season he may have a chance to increase his playing time next year

Edited by Protocal69
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Protocal69 said:

I was thinking recently who Duke Williams reminds me of and the conclusion I came up is Antwan Boldin. Im thinking if he could lose about 10-15 pounds and not lose his strength he would be close in physical stature and style of play.

He is how they compare:

Antwan Boldin
40 yard dash time: 4.71 4.73 seconds
Height: 6′ 1″
Weight: 216 pounds
Vertical: 33.5 inches
Broad Jump: N/A
Hand Size: 9.88"
ARM LENGTH 30.00"

DUKE WILLIAMS 
40-yard dash: 4.66 and 4.69 seconds
Height: 6′ 2″
Weight: 229 pounds
Vertical: 30 1/2 inches
Broad Jump: 9 feet, 10 inches
Hand Size: 9.25" 
ARM LENGTH 32.5 "

Draft Profile:

Big frame and usually plays to his size. 
Will post up cornerbacks down the field and uses his body to 
shield throws from defenders. Natural pass catcher with soft hands. 
Saw 82 percent of his catches go for first downs in 2014.
At his best in longer developing, intermediate routes. 
Does solid job of setting up routes with leverage points and head ­fakes.
Makes downfield catches with well­-timed hands to consistently pluck throws 
at the high­ point and will lay out to make the tough catch. 
Can grind out an extra couple of yards after the catch in order to get the 
first down. Has the size to help run game as a blocker if his care factor is
right.

As I stated above if Duke works on his body and craft in the off-season he may have a chance to increase his playing time next year

I'm very confused right now. Do you mean Anquan Boldin? 

• Like (+1) 1

Not a bad comparison.

The only difference is by age 26 Boldin had 4,605 receiving yards & 20TDS compared to Duke who has 166 receiving yards & 1TD. 

No problem letting Duke compete for a roster spot but I see him as a #5 at best. He gets little separation laterally forcing him to have to lay out for separation & he can’t out run the defense deep. If you could give Foster Duke’s hands & toughness you’d have a complete WR.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 4

Jeez.  People really get their feathers ruffled with these player comparisons.  I get it, OP.  Boldin is a good DW comparison (IMO also).  I’m really curious to see how his career evolves from this point.  He definitely showed me something against HOU, and I think fans have some cause for optimism here.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

I was thinking recently who Duke Williams reminds me of and the conclusion I came up is Anquan Boldin. Im thinking if he could lose about 10-15 pounds and not lose his strength he would be close in physical stature and style of play.

According to https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/duke-williams/ he compares more to Laquon Treadwell

3 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

12 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Jeez.  People really get their feathers ruffled with these player comparisons.  I get it, OP.  Boldin is a good DW comparison (IMO also).  I’m really curious to see how his career evolves from this point.  He definitely showed me something against HOU, and I think fans have some cause for optimism here.

I like Duke Williams and I like what he brings to the passing game. I think he could play an important role on this team, particularly if the Bills find a big, #1 receiver in the draft to put opposite Brown.

Exactly my thoughts when the Bills picked him up i believe he can develop into a Boldin type of player ! most of the time when you throw it his way he is going to catch the ball there were the misses in the last game but his production was better than Fosters & if we think about it he is really a rookie in the NFL .

I hope that they bring him back & give him a chance to be integrated into the offense for a full season before they allow another team to grab him, i think the Pats would scoop him up in a heartbeat & the Bills would get burned by him in the games they play against the Bills .

4 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

As I stated above if Duke works on his body and craft in the off-season he may have a chance to increase his playing time compete to stay on the team next year

The current fashionable "cheap shot" on TBD is to divide the members into Duke "haters" and fans.   Not so fast.  I like Duke.  I love his attitude, his gratitude.  I love his story of redemption and making a comeback from a critical life mistake.

Right now, he is not a very smooth or sophisticated route runner.  He is still learning how to release off the line which is not a thing in the CFL with the running start.  Duke is big and physical and he was a beacon of hope to fans because big and physical was a clear gap in the Bills WR corps, but I think the last 2 NFL games showed that Duke is not the "I catch everything that comes near me" pass catcher he thinks he is, especially under duress.  Starting NFL DBs are bigger, tougher, more physical than he's used to.  Contested catches are more contested.

If he works hard this off season, he may come back stronger, faster, more agile, and able to compete successfully for a spot.  He could be that missing blocker on teams and the guy who steps up if we start running 5 WR "All Go" sets like the '90s Bills used to.

But if the Bills WR corps heading into the season is Brown, Beasley, Williams, and McKenzie, Beane will have failed signally on his word to give Josh Allen more weapons he trusts.  The Bills must upgrade.  They can not change things by keeping everything the same.

14 minutes ago, T master said:

Exactly my thoughts when the Bills picked him up i believe he can develop into a Boldin type of player ! most of the time when you throw it his way he is going to catch the ball there were the misses in the last game but his production was better than Fosters & if we think about it he is really a rookie in the NFL .

Listen to yourself.  "His production was better than Fosters"  Foster's production this year was abysmal.  18 targets, 3 receptions.  16.7%.  Is that really the standard?

Again, I'm not a hater, but looking realistically, the Bills need much more and you can not upgrade by keeping things the same.  Duke got his playing time, and he got open, and he got targets, and he didn't get it done consistently.  It's not just the 10-15 lbs that's the issue.  Perhaps he can take a huge step, but we better by damn not count on it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The current fashionable "cheap shot" on TBD is to divide the members into Duke "haters" and fans.   Not so fast.  I like Duke.  I love his attitude, his gratitude.  I love his story of redemption and making a comeback from a critical life mistake.

Right now, he is not a very smooth or sophisticated route runner.  He is still learning how to release off the line which is not a thing in the CFL with the running start.  Duke is big and physical and he was a beacon of hope to fans because big and physical was a clear gap in the Bills WR corps, but I think the last 2 NFL games showed that Duke is not the "I catch everything that comes near me" pass catcher he thinks he is, especially under duress.  Starting NFL DBs are bigger, tougher, more physical than he's used to.  Contested catches are more contested.

If he works hard this off season, he may come back stronger, faster, more agile, and able to compete successfully for a spot.  He could be that missing blocker on teams and the guy who steps up if we start running 5 WR "All Go" sets like the '90s Bills used to.

But if the Bills WR corps heading into the season is Brown, Beasley, Williams, and McKenzie, Beane will have failed signally on his word to give Josh Allen more weapons he trusts.  The Bills must upgrade.  They can not change things by keeping everything the same.

Listen to yourself.  "His production was better than Fosters"  Foster's production this year was abysmal.  18 targets, 3 receptions.  16.7%.  Is that really the standard?

Again, I'm not a hater, but looking realistically, the Bills need much more and you can not upgrade by keeping things the same.  Duke got his playing time, and he got open, and he got targets, and he didn't get it done consistently.  It's not just the 10-15 lbs that's the issue.  Perhaps he can take a huge step, but we better by damn not count on it.

My point being 1 game Duke did better than Foster all season if you give Duke the chance to be on the field rather than on the bench he could have contributed a lot more & given the fact that he would have grown more comfortable with in the scheme & with Josh i see him producing a bunch more for the team !

10 minutes ago, T master said:

My point being 1 game Duke did better than Foster all season if you give Duke the chance to be on the field rather than on the bench he could have contributed a lot more & given the fact that he would have grown more comfortable with in the scheme & with Josh i see him producing a bunch more for the team !

So a WR who produces more than the abysmal production Foster had this year is what you want?

That's just way too low of a bar.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So a WR who produces more than the abysmal production Foster had this year is what you want?

That's just way too low of a bar.

So you completely skipped over the first 12 words of the post i will rewrite it for you !!

"My point being 1 game Duke did better than Foster all season" & then there is the rest that continues my point but if you missed that then the rest is irrelevant ...

I have heard about enough duke talk to make me vomit. I like the guy but let’s please stop pretending he’s some hidden gem. I can’t believe nobody has a saviorduke username yet. He’s a serviceable receiver. He will more than likely be in the running for the 4th receiver spot next season. Let this poor guys name rest in the offseason.