Parrino segment on radio - can anyone summarize?

10 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:
  • Unyielding desire to be great.
  • Playoff game was the Josh Allen experience.
  • A few too many mistakes, but players let him down to leave plays on the field.
  • Some lights out throws (Brown sideline, Duke End Zone).
  • Staff and players let him down, where Houston made plays for Watson.
  • He felt the game shift and went back to ground zero.
  • Will the coaching staff be true to their word and put him in a position to win in 2020?

Thanks Hokie. I really like Matt Parrino but can’t bring myself to listen to sully

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Thanks Hokie. I really like Matt Parrino but can’t bring myself to listen to sully

This particular clip is 98% sully free

If GoT didn't crash and burn that would've been a great spot for an unsullied pun...

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

Parrino says well what I have been thinking as I process what happened last weekend.  Yes Josh had a "meltdown" or whatever you want to call it.  But the point about being let down by the rest of the team and coaches is huge.  Josh needs to be better, and he will keep working to do so.  But so does the rest of the guys on the field.  There were several games this year that Josh carried the team to victory.  We often see other teams where WR's make plays for their QB (like Hopkins).  It has been a long time since we have had a WR that consistently did so in Buffalo.  

Also a big point in this is Josh's attitude - no finger pointing or deflecting blame from him.  I can think of a few other situations where the QB response would have been to point out other failings around him...  thankful that Josh is not that guy.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I am sorry but I absolutely can not get on board with calling our QB a “cowboy”

Edit: I mean, that evidently IS what they call the Wyoming teams, so he is a Wyo "cowboy" or "poke" 

But this is the NFL, and it has that whole Dallas association.  NO.

FWIW, the cowboy thing in America is massively overblown, from a historical and demographic standpoint. There is only one team in New York, and it sure as hell is never to be associated with the cowboy. Oh, and Fuh K the cowboys. 

Go Bills!!!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:
  • Unyielding desire to be great.
  • Playoff game was the Josh Allen experience.
  • A few too many mistakes, but players let him down to leave plays on the field.
  • Some lights out throws (Brown sideline, Duke End Zone).
  • Staff and players let him down, where Houston made plays for Watson.
  • He felt the game shift and went back to ground zero.
  • Will the coaching staff be true to their word and put him in a position to win in 2020?

Good summary. He also should have added his 3 blocker sweep in which his 3 blockers blocked nobody and he got hit. Could have been a TD. Morse, Knox, and ? (Feliciano) all left him hanging. Morse is being paid $44 mil. We should have an expectation that at least he or Feliciano? should have the veteran presence to know what the hell they are doing.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Thanks Hokie!

I am listening to Brandon Beane interview on Tim Graham show.   He flat out says "I'll ride or die with Josh Allen" and "I can do a better job with giving him weapons to where he doesn't feel as though he's got to put the whole team on his back"

So there you have it.  If the FO does NOT give him more protection and more weapons, Mr Beane is forsworn.

Edit: later on in that interview, Beane is asked about adding an insurance policy QB at QB as Tenn. did with acquiring Mariota when they have Tannehill.  Again Beane flat out said that you do that when you're not sure you have the guy, and that they're operating believing Josh is the guy and they're going to put all their resources in to putting pieces around him.

I would think there is an implied "yet" or "for now" in those statements. No GM or HC is going to waiver on their 2nd year QB who had some pretty nice highs in their second year. I think Josh has to make another big jump or two for the FO to throw 35-40M his way. Beane also said something along the lines of "I hope Josh progresses to a point where we have to pay him a lot of money". They will commit to Josh for as long as they reasonably can. 

8 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

He didn’t say anything wrong (shockingly.) allen panicked in the 2nd half and made stupid plays because the team (and coaches) around him kinda let him down. Nothing inaccurate about that take.

I listened as well. IMO Matt Parinno is really the guy to read as he is the most fair about Allen. He gets "fanish" right after a game and does over criticize initially. Then he walks that back and is consistently fair. I used to like Fairburn but ever since he and Buscaglia went "Athletic" they seem to have led and fed each other down the rabbit hole of negative reporting above fairness. Buscaglia has always been an Allen critic who tries to hide it sometimes. I remember when  the Nate, AJ, and Josh debacle was going down in early August of 2018 he reported that McCarron (or Peterman not sure which and doesn't matter) looked good but that the other two didn't do "anything" to distinguish themselves. This was at the same time the Bills were reporting Allen ran for a TD in practice of 40 - 50 yards. I tweeted Joe to ask why the disconnect. He stated he thought he ran out of bounds!. Yet none of the two including our 7th did nothing to distinguish themselves. I said to my self.....ahh ok... really? I think he continues to reluctantly give Allen credit.....when he must.

• Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, tumaro02 said:

Good summary. He also should have added his 3 blocker sweep in which his 3 blockers blocked nobody and he got hit. Could have been a TD. Morse, Knox, and ? (Feliciano) all left him hanging. Morse is being paid $44 mil. We should have an expectation that at least he or Feliciano? should have the veteran presence to know what the hell they are doing.

I've put up some pics elsewhere: the Allen fumble is one where he stepped forward through the pocket ahead of a charging JJ Watt on the R and Mercilus blowing by Kroft on the L, with Singletary and Dawkins stepping in between him and Mercilus.  He thought he had time to wait for Beasley to come open. 

That's another one that really rots me.  Should Allen have had the ball in a different position, with 2 hands on it until just before he throws, absolutely, and that needs to be a focus of his off season work, every drill.  But C'Mon Man!  Three Bills can't take out one damn defender?

9 minutes ago, Mango said:

I would think there is an implied "yet" or "for now" in those statements. No GM or HC is going to waiver on their 2nd year QB who had some pretty nice highs in their second year. I think Josh has to make another big jump or two for the FO to throw 35-40M his way. Beane also said something along the lines of "I hope Josh progresses to a point where we have to pay him a lot of money". They will commit to Josh for as long as they reasonably can.

Oh, I have no doubt.  I said elsewhere my take is that McDermott is at heart a cold hard ruthless competitor.  They expect Allen to take another big step, and they're gonna ride with him until proven otherwise.  But once they decide it's proven otherwise, McDermott may shed a tear and pray over him, but he's gone.

What I don't understand is why they didn't make a bigger push to give him what he needed this year.  Maybe they thought they did - they thought they did enough in 2018, they acknowledged they didn't and did a partial overhaul in 2019, and now saying it's still not enough.  So what will be different next season?

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

I haven’t listened to one bills related piece of media since before the game.  

like Mr T said:  “Pain”

Here are a couple podcasts that I recommend for this stage of the grieving process, when you are ready.  You can trust me, i will not lead you astray on these things 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Here are a couple podcasts that I recommend for this stage of the grieving process, when you are ready.  You can trust me, i will not lead you astray on these things 

Thanks doc!  I trust you!  Much appreciated.  

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I am sorry but I absolutely can not get on board with calling our QB a “cowboy”

Edit: I mean, that evidently IS what they call the Wyoming teams, so he is a Wyo "cowboy" or "poke" 

But this is the NFL, and it has that whole Dallas association.  NO.

Yeah, but Buffalo Bill was a cowboy, so there's that.

I realized this a long time ago, but it struck as very weird that our team is named after a guy who got famous for murdering the animal our city is named after. 

Edited by Motorin'

11 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

And... he’s 23! I don’t usually compare the two, but when Jim Kelly was 23 he was THREE YEARS away from taking his first snap for the Bills. As you said, Allen is nothing if not competitive and has shown the ability to learn and grow within the position. He made a lot of progress from year 1 to year 2. He’s far from a finished product but who is at 23. He has 2-3 years to show he’s *the guy* looking at contract timeline. People don’t want to wait for things but that’s reality. 

Here's a crazy fun fact. Jim was 30 when he lead the Bills to SB25. Josh at only 23 is scary. I think Josh will be the first Buffalo qb to throw for over 4000 someday. Enjoy the ride mafia brethren. 

21 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Matt Parrino tweeted that he went on a 15 minute Josh Allen rant on the air.  But, for {reasons} I can not bring myself to listen

Can anyone help with a summary or key points?

source.gif

Edited by Lurker