CBS new mock has us taking AJ Epenesa

1 minute ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Not sure if McB go CB in rd1, but I’m on record saying that I highly doubt they’ll pass on Bryce Hall or another coveted corner if they somehow drop to us in rd2. Hard to make any guesses before FA, combine, etc. 

Bryce hall is a McDermott DNA player 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Not sure if McB go CB in rd1, but I’m on record saying that I highly doubt they’ll pass on Bryce Hall or another coveted corner if they somehow drop to us in rd2. Hard to make any guesses before FA, combine, etc. 

I wasn't saying we should @BillfromNYC just loves 1st round CBs :lol:

RD2 will be true straight up BPA at any position and CB2 is a need

Edited by Reed83HOF
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Reed83HOF said:

I wasn't saying we should @BillfromNYC just loves 1st round CBs :lol:

RD2 will be true straight up BPA at any position and CB2 is a need

Still cringey to me. They REALLY need to invest resources into the offense, even if it means ignoring the defense for an offseason for the most part.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Bryce hall is a McDermott DNA player 

Yup. He fits every McMetric for this defense. 6’ 200 lb corner that excels in zone, likes to tackle, ultra competitive, senior, team leader, ball hawking skills, and his best traits are awareness and work ethic. I have a hard time seeing them passing on that kid if he’s there at our 2nd round pick. 

45 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

That would REALLY blow.

Right?! We will get a better idea after the combine & FA when we can really look at the needs of the 21 teams in front of us. I'm certain Beane will move around to make sure he gets his one of his top WR targets. Just quickly looking at some mocks and where talent lines up, CB actually could be BPA at 22

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

Still cringey to me. They REALLY need to invest resources into the offense, even if it means ignoring the defense for an offseason for the most part.

We better not draft CB in RD1 (and I am no way for it - terrible move). If Bryce Hall or one of the top RTs is sitting in the late 30s-40s, I would move up for that. As of now, the talent level looks good for those positions (CB/RT) right there with some additional depth below that. 

13 hours ago, PIZ said:

What about K’Lavon Chaisson

.... and Yetur Gross Mayos

Chaisson looks like a great replacement for ZO!

Good in coverage and side line to side line speed and has elite pass rushing ability.

1 hour ago, Sunshower said:

Free Agency:

Bud Dupree, LB/DE, Pittsburgh 5yrs $80m

Robby Anderson, WR, NYJ 3yrs $27m

RD1: AJ Epenesa, DE, Iowa

RD2: Justin Jefferson, WR, LSU

RD3: Yasir Durant, RT, Missouri

RD4: Stephen Guidry, WR, Mississippi State 

Do you think both Adenrson and Dupree would be let go by their current teams? I´m all up for this, including that draft but I really don´t think they would test the market. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4240585/aj-epenesa

STATS
TOT
SOLO AST SACK FF FR YDS INT YDS AVG TD LNG PD
2019 49 32 17 11.5 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 3
2018 37 21 16 10.5 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 4
2017 15 8 7 4.5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1

The question is ... Do they want to "gamble" and pay BIG $ for a 4 / 5 year vet or "gamble"  on the fresh out? 

What if they end up doing both? Would that surprise you?

3 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

If we don't move from 22 at all, there is a good chance that CB could be BPA - imagine that one

That's when you try and move down 2 or three spots for some extra picks to use.

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, PIZ said:

What about K’Lavon Chaisson

.... and Yetur Gross Mayos

I saw Chaisson in a USA Today draft,.  But then it had us getting the 5'11" WR from TCU in the second.  BLAH. 

2 hours ago, Antonio said:

Chaisson looks like a great replacement for ZO!

Good in coverage and side line to side line speed and has elite pass rushing ability.

Do you think both Adenrson and Dupree would be let go by their current teams? I´m all up for this, including that draft but I really don´t think they would test the market. 

thought here in PGH is that Dupree is likely gone.  The Steelers have little cap space.  That said, Dupree is a hot and cold player who will drive us nuts.  I'd rather take Chaisson and spend FA money on Yannik or another Edge DE. 

15 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2020-nfl-mock-draft-panthers-begin-matt-rhule-era-with-a-new-quarterback-patriots-get-a-nice-surprise/

I didn't realize the misfortune of the Eagles losing last Sunday given they'll be in the market for a WR.  Would love Tee Higgins.

Dang, with that run on blue chip WRs so early, the DE pick makes sense. Otherwise, we're trading up to get our WR (which wouldnt be a surprise either).

24 minutes ago, B-Man said:

That's when you try and move down 2 or three spots for some extra picks to use.

We have 9 picks already. How many more does Beane need? If anything, I'd expect Beane to use them to move up to get a WR so he doesnt ahve to pick CB as BPA.

Wtih the cap space we have, we can afford to trade away some picks to get our guys, and fill in the blanks with FAs.

2 hours ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

The good news is that CBS has one or more new mock drafts almost literally every day from now until the actual draft. 

I think they keep doing mock drafts after the draft is over. 

Don't put any stock in these things. None. 

I dont think many folks put stock into them as a definite of what will happen. Just interesting "what if" discussions seeing how the different scenarios play out.

4 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Respectfully disagree. Ignoring needs for BPA leads to bad things.

It's a sliding rule. In the early rounds, especially the 1st, you want to lean more towards BPA. Then you focus more on needs as you move into the 3rd round and beyond. And bonus if the 1st round BPA happens to match one of your needs.

Reaching for needs early is how you end up with 1st rounders like Erik Flowers, Donte Whitner, and Aaron Maybin.

Lol...I see the BPA vs Needs senseless argument still persists again...new decade, same story ha

BPA is not LITERALLY only the best player available REGARDLESS of need.  Every GM in the history of all sports on this entire planet has team needs and areas of improvement built into BPA.  

• Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Easily beane's worst draft pick

Wouldn't say that yet.  I think he will be pretty good once moved to guard.  Point was, everyone said last year "No way Cody Ford lasts to the 2nd round".  A lot of people said that too about Dalton Risner, DK Metcalf (I was one of those people), etc etc.  

Its impossible to say who will or wont slide to where at this time of year.  

7 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

The scenario is the prediction that Epenesa falls to us.  If he is there at 22, which won’t happen, we should take him and look at WR in the 2nd round.  Moving up was not the original discussion.  If we are talking moving up then it’s possible an offensive player would be targeted.  

At 22, I doubt there will be a need to force a pick in either direction. 

The offense needs help, it's not hard to figure that out.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Wouldn't say that yet.  I think he will be pretty good once moved to guard.  Point was, everyone said last year "No way Cody Ford lasts to the 2nd round".  A lot of people said that too about Dalton Risner, DK Metcalf (I was one of those people), etc etc.  

Its impossible to say who will or wont slide to where at this time of year.  

And again - if you're moving up and down the draft board to match the value, it's fine to draft for need - where you run into trouble drafting for need is when you pass up value where you're picking, i.e., where you take a need position that you could've gotten later.