CBS new mock has us taking AJ Epenesa

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4240585/aj-epenesa

STATS
TOT
SOLO AST SACK FF FR YDS INT YDS AVG TD LNG PD
2019 49 32 17 11.5 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 3
2018 37 21 16 10.5 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 4
2017 15 8 7 4.5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1

The question is ... Do they want to "gamble" and pay BIG $ for a 4 / 5 year vet or "gamble"  on the fresh out? 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

I'm not sure if this was said, I didn't have time to read all responses. Jefferson will NOT be there at where we pick in round 2...... as the process moves along, I could absolutely see him being our first round pick. 

That’s a pretty definitive statement... I’m pretty sure he could be there in round 2. He’s not an explosive athlete on film and that will drop him out of round 1 if the combine results match the film. I’m not saying he won’t be a good player in the NFL or even a great player in the nfl. Lots of #1 WRs are drafted after round 1. Just saying the ones who go in the 1st are usually certain types of WR. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

That’s a pretty definitive statement... I’m pretty sure he could be there in round 2. He’s not an explosive athlete on film and that will drop him out of round 1 if the combine results match the film. I’m not saying he won’t be a good player in the NFL or even a great player in the nfl. Lots of #1 WRs are drafted after round 1. Just saying the ones who go in the 1st are usually certain types of WR. 

He may go in round 2. Not where we pick in round 2.

You're right, actually a LOT of the NFL's good receivers today were round 2. Sterling Shep, DK, Godwin, AJ Brown, Tyreek Hill, Deebo Samuel, Michael Thomas, Devante Adams, etc etc etc

Edited by warrior9

5 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

He may go in round 2. Not where we pick in round 2.

You're right, actually a LOT of the NFL's good receivers today were round 2. Sterling Shep, DK, Godwin, AJ Brown, Tyreek Hill, Deebo Samuel, Michael Thomas, Devante Adams, etc etc etc

I mean - again, I know it’s easy to think everyone *should* be a top 50 player when you watch them but the reality is they all won’t be. At this time of year there like 100 players who we think could/should be top 50 players. He very well could be there when we pick in round 2 not only for the reasons stated but also because of the incredibly deep WR class where teams may be inclined to wait on that position and address a thinner group early in the top tier - that could push him and others like him down. 

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

Hey, CBS sports couldn't even name our starting WRs for game 1 of the season. Misspelled Singletary (Singleton)twice and now I am suppose to believe anything they write about the Bills?

Won't happen

You don’t have to believe it. They just want you to CLICK

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I mean - again, I know it’s easy to think everyone *should* be a top 50 player when you watch them but the reality is they all won’t be. At this time of year there like 100 players who we think could/should be top 50 players. He very well could be there when we pick in round 2 not only for the reasons stated but also because of the incredibly deep WR class where teams may be inclined to wait on that position and address a thinner group early in the top tier - that could push him and others like him down. 

I'd be surprised if he's there, he's just a special talent, IMO. I think as the draft process moves along, he's going to sky rocket.

That being said.... I don't think we can miss in round 1 or 2 this year. With the talent pool that is there and how seemingly well Beane has drafted(obviously Cody Ford's jury is still out but he progress nonetheless), i'm super excited for this draft. I think this draft/ off-season will set us up for the next 3-4 years if we hit. Our core would be incredibly young, athletic, and cheap.

53 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

I'm not sure if this was said, I didn't have time to read all responses. Jefferson will NOT be there at where we pick in round 2...... as the process moves along, I could absolutely see him being our first round pick. 

I agree, unfortunately.  I think he will be our pick at #22

8 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Besides wr and backup rb, I thought the offensive line was a big weakness for the team. They still need more talent there.

They were *much* better this year than last but that's not saying much. They will get better just having cohesion next year but I'm fine with bringing in some competition. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

Forcing a draft pick strictly for need, while leaving an impact player on the board is what mediocre teams do. 

I agree, but isn't this the best receiver class in many years? Take the highest graded player, and if there's a tie between the WR and DE, take the WR.

13 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Respectfully disagree. Ignoring needs for BPA leads to bad things.

As I said above, I don't even think the logic applies in this scenario given the great WR talent in this draft. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I really do agree Bob but we need a top receiver and there are many out there who look like absolute stars.

Oh yeah but it can work either way. We didn't draft Mahomes or Watson (who we desperately needed) and drafted a corner. We have made mistakes from all angles, no? :):huh:

Beane does not seem to have the issues that his predecessors had, I said it in the end of year presser thread - best GM we have had since Polian -there is actually a roster building plan since he arrived. 

If we don't move from 22 at all, there is a good chance that CB could be BPA - imagine that one

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Respectfully disagree. Ignoring needs for BPA leads to bad things.

A smart GM takes both into account. Take BPA. If you have multiple players that are graded similarly then go for the need.

I wouldn’t want to force a WR in the first of another player is far and away graded higher.

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Beane does not seem to have the issues that his predecessors had, I said it in the end of year presser thread - best GM we have had since Polian -there is actually a roster building plan since he arrived. 

If we don't move from 22 at all, there is a good chance that CB could be BPA - imagine that one

Not sure if McB go CB in rd1, but I’m on record saying that I highly doubt they’ll pass on Bryce Hall or another coveted corner if they somehow drop to us in rd2. Hard to make any guesses before FA, combine, etc. 

• Like (+1) 1