Tell me about vosean Joseph. Is this guy going to be a contributor?

As a college player, he was on the light side for a linebacker, though that seems not to be a huge factor for McDermott.  He's very athletic but his play in college was rather undisciplined.  The lack of discipline is probably why he wasn't a factor as a rookie.  He can certainly be coached up if he's got the right attitude, which is why I wouldn't write him off at this point.

25 minutes ago, SCBills said:

One of my best friends is a Gator fan.  I’ve seen him a bit and asked my buddy about him.  

He’s fast and hits like a truck.  He’ll put a highlight reel on tape in a single game.  He jumps off the screen.  

He’ll also completely go off script and gets out of position way too often.  Although, some of this is due to the freelancing component of the UF defense. 

Reminds me a lot of what Noles fans said of Bradham. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

As a college player, he was on the light side for a linebacker, though that seems not to be a huge factor for McDermott.  He's very athletic but his play in college was rather undisciplined.  The lack of discipline is probably why he wasn't a factor as a rookie.  He can certainly be coached up if he's got the right attitude, which is why I wouldn't write him off at this point.

I read as much. When he gets a bead on the plays he is top notch. But his lack of position discipline was the red flag on .
is he Coachable? Because he sure as heck is an athlete.
be interesting as heck to see where Bills think he fits.

Can he play the coverage McD demands or is his a pass rusher and no more.
looking forward to this offseason into preseason and how some of these kids come along

3 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

I think it was an end run around the official rules type of deal

Since he actually had surgery, I'm thinking your thinking is mistaken

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2019/09/10/bills-lb-vosean-joseph-undergoes-surgery/

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

He's not injured?

He was either truly injured, a Dr performed unnecessary surgery, or the team is lying like a rug

Imma vote "injured"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2019/09/10/bills-lb-vosean-joseph-undergoes-surgery/

He was either truly injured, a Dr performed unnecessary surgery, or the team is lying like a rug

Imma vote "injured"

Yup, like I said up a few posts, I had not heard about his shoulder, just that they were “stashing” him on IR, live and learn... 

Big fan of Vosean Joseph. Just not sure where he fits. At 225, not so sure he couldn't be used as the big "DB" McDermott likes to use near the LOS.

Saw glimpses in the preseason. The guy has some real issues with on field discipline, but he's a playmaker. He'll be a contributor if he can "figure it out."

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Buffalo86 said:

From his nfl.com draft profile:

"His tape has no middle ground, it's either really impressive or really ugly. Now go look at his production this year and you realize you can coach some ugly out of his play. He's a '5' right now but we can turn him into a '9.'" - AFC defensive coach

Here's hoping the unnamed AFC defensive coach is one of ours & he knows what he's talking about.

4 hours ago, SCBills said:

One of my best friends is a Gator fan.  I’ve seen him a bit and asked my buddy about him.  

He’s fast and hits like a truck.  He’ll put a highlight reel on tape in a single game.  He jumps off the screen.  

He’ll also completely go off script and gets out of position way too often.  Although, some of this is due to the freelancing component of the UF defense. 

I’m a fan of the Gators, seeing most of their games. His recklessness comes from the defensive scheme Florida uses, which is to allow their inside LBs the freedom to do as they see fit, given down, distance, tendencies & pre-set looks. I’m ‘glad’ he was “injured” in the last preseason game because I seriously doubted he’d be available for our PS and it was evident he wasn’t ready to make the ‘final 53’. He’ll have to jump off the screen next PS and I believe he will. Call him a sleeper to make the ‘20 team.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Imma vote "injured"

Yea he was definitely injured in that final pre-season game. 

4 minutes ago, the skycap said:

Makes me wish that was him rushing Watson instead of Neal/Milano?

I love him as a blitzer. I actually think he might end up playing as a SAM linebacker but the Bills had him mainly as the MIKE in pre-season last year.

• Like (+1) 1

I forgot about that guy.  He looks like he could be a crazy hard-hitting hybrid linebacker/safety/special teams player.  We also grabbed a safety from Miami, who may turn out to be a great one.  Jaquan Johnson, nearly had a pick in the playoff game.

They had a good draft....Ed, Cody, Singletary, Knox, Joseph, Johnson, Sweeney, and that other Johnson the DE.  Nobody got cut.

I'm looking forward to the offseason.

Joseph, IMO, is an excellent athlete that has to learn the game of football to be successful in the NFL.  The coaching and his ability to pick the game up are the keys there.  

Milano and Edmunds are the opposite - they have the high football IQ and pair it with elite athleticism.  A lot of great linebacking is in the head.  

15 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Yup, like I said up a few posts, I had not heard about his shoulder, just that they were “stashing” him on IR, live and learn... 

Yeah, I think this kind of thing happens more often than you think.  Of course the player has to be on board, but if the Bills like him and vice-versa then keeping him on IR for a season (he's getting paid) is a good deal for both parties.  There does need to be a real injury, although the injury doesn't necessarily have to be one that would have kept him out all year.

30 minutes ago, eball said:

Yeah, I think this kind of thing happens more often than you think.  Of course the player has to be on board, but if the Bills like him and vice-versa then keeping him on IR for a season (he's getting paid) is a good deal for both parties.  There does need to be a real injury, although the injury doesn't necessarily have to be one that would have kept him out all year.

And that, as I understand it, is exactly what happened in this case. 

I like Vosean, Jacquan and Siran as promising late round picks. Bills are pretty good at evaluating DBs, hybrid LBs. Partly why I doubt they break the bank for Poyer. Even if he is not ready to crack the lineup as a starter next year I'd be surprised if Vosean wasn't playing STms.

Being a Gators fan, if you think he needs to learn the game of football, you're out of your mind. He was playing the scheme given to him. My personal opinion of him is that he is a true middle linebacker if he puts on 10 pounds. He is a great downhill type of player but has the range to cover and play sideline to sideline. And unlike Edmunds, he has the body type to fill a gap, get his pads low and make the tackle. He was already making big plays in the backfield during preseason. Given that he's already had a year to learn the defense, I'd expect him to look very good in OTAs and training camp and push for at least the back up spot behind Edmunds. He only has to remain disciplined, something that is not required as much from the Gators defensive staff.