Tell me about vosean Joseph. Is this guy going to be a contributor?

I liked him coming out of college. He was the #4 player left on my board when the Bills picked him last April. He is a physical player, he is a hitter and he showed pretty good skill getting after QBs as a blitzer from the linebacker spot too. 

Worryingly he was very much off the pace in pre-season. Looked like his head was spinning out there. I think it was an IR stash by the Bills because they hope he is going to be a player but they couldn't, in all good faith, put him on the 2019 roster over the likes of Corey Thompson who had an outstanding camp and pre-season and Julian Stanford who played in some spot duty in 2018 and has been a solid special teams guy. 

I think Stanford and Mo Alexander are both FAs this time so there are spots to be shot at (especially with Zo retiring) but he isn't the only talented young 'backer hoping to make it stick. Despite his off field issues the Bills have stuck by Tyrel Dodson who was one of my sleepers last spring and at Texas A&M he just struck me as a classic McDermott linebacker. He has a shot to make the team too though I doubt both he and Joseph make it stick - it is probably one or the other. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I liked him coming out of college. He was the #4 player left on my board when the Bills picked him last April. He is a physical player, he is a hitter and he showed pretty good skill getting after QBs as a blitzer from the linebacker spot too. 

Worryingly he was very much off the pace in pre-season. Looked like his head was spinning out there. I think it was an IR stash by the Bills because they hope he is going to be a player but they couldn't, in all good faith, put him on the 2019 roster over the likes of Corey Thompson who had an outstanding camp and pre-season and Julian Stanford who played in some spot duty in 2018 and has been a solid special teams guy. 

I think Stanford and Mo Alexander are both FAs this time so there are spots to be shot at (especially with Zo retiring) but he isn't the only talented young 'backer hoping to make it stick. Despite his off field issues the Bills have stuck by Tyrel Dodson who was one of my sleepers last spring and at Texas A&M he just struck me as a classic McDermott linebacker. He has a shot to make the team too though I doubt both he and Joseph make it stick. 

whats your opinion on Dodson? do you think he has the edge over VJ?

He was a little raw coming out of college, hits like a Mack truck, check his highlights on U tube

Just now, The_Ripster said:

whats your opinion on Dodson? do you think he has the edge over VJ?

I think Dodson has a shot. Joseph might have the edge as a draft choice and had a more consistent college career (Dodson going into his final year was seen as a potential late day 2 guy but had an up and down final season at A&M and slid) but Dodson outplayed him in pre-season last year. Two to keep an eye on.  

• Like (+1) 2

If I’m correct he’s really fast. And loves contact. But he’s not a polished guy. So we’ll see him eaten up by blockers and be out of place a lot. Mcdermott can coach this guy up for sure. I don’t think he’ll get a shot to start anywhere in the near future but I think his athleticism alone is enough to keep him active. I don’t know his special teams capabilities and we know how important that is on this team so i would expect coaches would emphasize he work on that in order to have a shot at the team next season and being active. He has potential for sure. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Dodson has a shot. Joseph might have the edge as a draft choice and had a more consistent college career (Dodson going into his final year was seen as a potential late day 2 guy but had an up and down final season at A&M and slid) but Dodson outplayed him in pre-season last year. Two to keep an eye on.  

For me, Dodson reminds me of Edmunds somewhat where as VJ is a different style of player, ya know?

I think you're right about the draft pick priority status. Should be one hell of a training camp this year, really looking forward to see what happens next. 

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

what ever happened to that guy?

IR, it was a stash a player deal

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

He's not injured?

I think it was an end run around the official rules type of deal

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

He was hurt in the last preseason game and had season ending surgery.  Placed on IR.  Shoulder injury I believe.

Oh, didn’t hear about that, just heard they were stashing him on IR, hope he healed up well, 

From his nfl.com draft profile:

"His tape has no middle ground, it's either really impressive or really ugly. Now go look at his production this year and you realize you can coach some ugly out of his play. He's a '5' right now but we can turn him into a '9.'" - AFC defensive coach

Here's hoping the unnamed AFC defensive coach is one of ours & he knows what he's talking about.

One of my best friends is a Gator fan.  I’ve seen him a bit and asked my buddy about him.  

He’s fast and hits like a truck.  He’ll put a highlight reel on tape in a single game.  He jumps off the screen.  

He’ll also completely go off script and gets out of position way too often.  Although, some of this is due to the freelancing component of the UF defense. 

Edited by SCBills

23 minutes ago, Buffalo86 said:

From his nfl.com draft profile:

"His tape has no middle ground, it's either really impressive or really ugly. Now go look at his production this year and you realize you can coach some ugly out of his play. He's a '5' right now but we can turn him into a '9.'" - AFC defensive coach

Here's hoping the unnamed AFC defensive coach is one of ours & he knows what he's talking about.

I don't think that's how our coaches talk, but if others believe he can be coached up, I bet our coaches think that too