Sign in to follow this  
Michael1962

Imagine a world where even the NFL realizes the JA led Bills are their "golden goose"

18 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

Huh??? The Bills have [some of the] lowest ticket prices in the NFL.  Buffalo is not exactly a thriving metropolis.  They have a old, open air, stadium that usually doesn't fill up in December.  There is support for the Bills outside of Western NY, but I have no reason to believe it's more than average across the NFL.  What about the Bills makes you think "golden goose" to the other NFL owners?  

The relatively higher ratings as discussed in the article I linked is what make me think that the JA led Bills could become a "golden goose" to the NFL.  If the ratings continue to excel I am thinking out loud what it would be like if the officials protected Allen the way they have protected Brady and other NFL money makers.  I did not take into consideration the agendas of the individual owners.  Obviously, other than Kraft, I don't think the owners want Brady protected with ridiculous calls, yet it happens.  So my question is, if the officiating is largely driven by financial success/ratings success then most likely it will impact the Bills at some point.  From my perspective it would be very strange to see calls going for the Bills/JA and to see him protected from head to head hits, etc., ala Brady.  

4 minutes ago, Michael1962 said:

The relatively higher ratings as discussed in the article I linked is what make me think that the JA led Bills could become a "golden goose" to the NFL.  If the ratings continue to excel I am thinking out loud what it would be like if the officials protected Allen the way they have protected Brady and other NFL money makers.  I did not take into consideration the agendas of the individual owners.  Obviously, other than Kraft, I don't think the owners want Brady protected with ridiculous calls, yet it happens.  So my question is, if the officiating is largely driven by financial success/ratings success then most likely it will impact the Bills at some point.  From my perspective it would be very strange to see calls going for the Bills/JA and to see him protected from head to head hits, etc., ala Brady.  

You basic premise then is that the officials are driven by profits of the NFL to that degree rather than the old adage that you "earn the benefit of the doubt" in those situations.  

I am far more inclined to believe the latter.  But either way, I can't imagine Buffalo ever being considered a huge money maker to the other NFL owners, unless there is a huge renaissance that makes the Buffalo area more like NYC, Dallas, or Chicago in terms of population, and median (with a large disposable) income.  But that's just me :) 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

The contracts have nothing to do with it. Contracts are set years in advance but schedules aren't.  Marquee games with stars like Brady attract far more eyeballs and advertising revenue than a young developing qb. Brady, JJ, Aaron Rodgers etc are all tv revenue kings. The fact that we were put on Thanksgiving and flexed for Pittsburgh is a big deal.  If Josh keep trending up the primetime games will follow. Unfortunately last Saturday,  JJ and Watson were the kings.

THIS is it right here.  Josh Allen, Mahomes, Brady, Lamar...doesn't matter the name at a given moment...the NFL made the TV revenue the moment they got the check from the networks.....the networks write that check because they believe they can sell advertising and make a profit.  THAT is what determines the prime time schedules....or the flex games and all that.  What matchup and game do the networks think will be the one that is compelling enough to draw eyeballs to the TV.  They don't sell advertising in 5 year blocks like they do TV contracts.

I suspect based on this that the Bills are going to get more "big" game exposure in 2020 because people want to see them.  I'd expect at least 1 Monday night game, at least one Sunday night game, at least 1 Thursday night game and probalby a couple "National" CBS late games (probably on the road though) 

Would be really sweet if that KC / Buffalo game was a monday night game.

How about instead of calls favoring one team or another, the officials just call the game fair and down the middle?

Novel concept, I know.

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

How about instead of calls favoring one team or another, the officials just call the game fair and down the middle?

Novel concept, I know.

My belief is, that's how it is done now.  I'm not big on conspiracy theories.

22 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

Novel concept, I know.

has never and will never work that way

superior athletes add to the interest in the game and get breaks on the rules, for the good of the game

the key is to build a team with superior athletes, it has been done with the Bills, long ago....

We won't get any live until we build a new stadium.  The league ensures teams have success when they build new stadiums. 

16 hours ago, billsherd said:

I see, so bills have no chance of getting these timings.I find  4 o'clock games are perfect not too early and not too late 

They could. When they play at home against the west coast teams they sometimes get the 4:05 start. Or if the network its on has double header that weekend they will get the 4:30 start.

Chargers, Rams ans Seahawks at home this year could all be late afternooners. And the Jets sometimes are 4:00 start when both they and the Giants have afternoon games. Those teams almost never play at the same time.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, egd said:

He meant some east coast teams get a 4 PM time slot where much of the nation sees them (that slot is not just for west coast).

That usually happens when a western team travels to the East coast: Dallas/NYG, KC/NE, etc. It’s not normal unless it’s that condition coupled with possible high ratings. NFC north games are generally at 1pm as well unless it’s a marquee matchup -Rodgers vs Brady/Wentz/Mahomes- and they already have a prime SNFB game scheduled. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Buffalo Junction said:

That usually happens when a western team travels to the East coast: Dallas/NYG, KC/NE, etc. It’s not normal unless it’s that condition coupled with possible high ratings. NFC north games are generally at 1pm as well unless it’s a marquee matchup -Rodgers vs Brady/Wentz/Mahomes- and they already have a prime SNFB game scheduled. 

they love 1pm so much they give us more than DirectTV has channels to carry

around week 12 or so they had more than they could fit, a friend went ballistic at this when he found out one game wasn't on for his viewing pleasure.. :D

Edited by row_33
  • Haha (+1) 1

21 hours ago, HOUSE said:

That JJ Watt love was ridiculous. BUT, it did remind me of another over hyped player...

The squeaky toys are saved!

But no I don't see how the Bills are the Golden Goose of the NFL over any other resurgent team. Screw JJ Watt's fake ***

21 hours ago, HOUSE said:

That JJ Watt love was ridiculous. BUT, it did remind me of another over hyped player...

My GF was going why have they got such a man crush on him? (JJ)

She thought it was way over the top and excessive,

I said he is a big star in the league and they love to pump his tires.

I think the American Football fans tuned in to see Josh just like they have all year.

No matter what some of our so called fans think he is a very exciting player to watch and has a very likeable personality.

21 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

what is a TV revenue king?

The network contracts are set for years at a time, no matter who the "best" teams are.

The networks pay the NFL a gazzillion dollars for the rights they then need to sell the advertising to make money and getting record ratings allows them to get higher prices for the ad slots.

7 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The Saturday at 4:30 time slot are absolutely amazing.  I had 2 of the best times of my life watching the Texans and Pats game. I would love to have all games at that time slot.  With no college football, it is a prime time slot.  Also, as much as the ending sucked, it was just a super fun game to watch.

I heard that from people that are not even Bills fans and they said it was the most exciting game of the weekend.

NFL fans in general seem to enjoy watching Josh Allen from what I've read and seen

It's not that many non-Bills fans think he's necessarily a great QB in the traditional sense, but he is certainly not boring and the Bills are a fun team for even non-Bills fans, especially since we've been so bad for so long before now. 

He makes insane plays every week. It's a show when the Bills play. 

• Like (+1) 1

Ever notice the teams and coaches that are “respected” by the officials get around 5-6 penalties a game. Maybe some weeks they only get flagged 3 times ,some weeks could be 7 flags which would be considered awful by Patriots standards.  It would be nice if the Bills would be a respected team soon.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

NFL fans in general seem to enjoy watching Josh Allen from what I've read and seen

It's not that many non-Bills fans think he's necessarily a great QB in the traditional sense, but he is certainly not boring and the Bills are a fun team for even non-Bills fans, especially since we've been so bad for so long before now. 

He makes insane plays every week. It's a show when the Bills play. 

He’s light skin Jameis.